Minicon (Minneapolis) 04/02/15

mostlywhatnot

Cool stuff. I wonder if the spren's inability or difficulty or reluctance to travel to other worlds has something to do with the cognitive "emptiness" between planets - maybe there is nothing, no thought, to sustain them there, if they need sustenance. 

Q: (At the book signing) Will we see all of the Heralds doing things in the upcoming books?

A: The back five books are all about the Heralds. Two of them claim to be Heralds..... Two of the point-of-views will be Heralds

This fits well with what I've read from this site; specifically Taln and Ash are the Herald POVs in the back five according to other WoB. The interesting tidbit here is that "two of them claim to be Heralds" with the implied "but...." in his tone.

So this wording gets me thinking about the whole "Who is Taln?" discussion we've had here since WoR. Similar quotes about "the man who says he is Taln" have had us second guessing his identity, compounded by the apparent sword swap.

This new WoB is consistent with those others, however interpreted. Yet I wonder if the underlying point is that he claims to be one of the Heralds. Perhaps the oathpact is broken enough that they no longer count as heralds, and so saying "I am Talenelat'Elin, Herald of the Almighty" is an inherently false statement even if it was true back before Tanavast died.

I'm not sure what I think yet. There is also a WoB that the oathpact (which my phone keeps trying to autocorrect as papacy) is not as broken as the herald think, so maybe they are still bound by some (all) of the terms.

Edited by ccstat