Do You Think The Koloss Now Have A Religion?

spencer12347

In nearly all of Sanderson's cosmere books religion has always been in the center. This seems to be the most prevalent in the fifth Mistborn book, Shadows of Self. I was thinking about the different religions and the formation of them, and was also thinking about how the koloss have evolved. We have seen them mostly in the Alloy of Law era in the Broadsheet throughout the Allomancer Jak's story where they can still create weapons, can talk, and create huts and outside fire. The most interesting thing we have learned is from Sanderson himself talking about how they have become a true breeding race and the Koloss-blooded are the children of regular Koloss. I feel like the time the Koloss are at intellectually and all other books point at the importance of religion that we will see the them develop a primitive religion that will evolve over time and become more complicated through the other books. I would honestly love to see a religion grow between them and because their own society is changing at a slower pace we could watch this religion develop in ways unlike the other four in the books. Last thought wouldn't it be awesome to see all different tribes of Koloss each develop their own religion each unique to the tribes. 

I think it's almost certain that the koloss have some form of religion. If I recall correctly from The Alloy of Law, there's a story from Jak the Allomancer that mentions their complete unwillingness to harm a Terrisman steward. I always took that to imply some level of reverence, though there are other possibilities.

It still disturbs me that someone would want to mate with a koloss, for hybrids to actually be a thing.

It sickens me to say it, but koloss-blooded may come about in a similar manner as the half-orcs in some D&D settings--"wanting" to mate may not have anything to do with it. :wacko:

I thought that Koloss blooded meant that your parents were Koloss but you chose not to receive the spike when you grew up resulting in someone who was mostly human with a few Koloss like side effects... Although don't ask me how that one guy got alomatic powers.

I suppose he could have been a natural misting but the odds on that are pretty long.

It still disturbs me that someone would want to mate with a koloss, for hybrids to actually be a thing.

I thought that Koloss blooded meant that your parents were Koloss but you chose not to receive the spike when you grew up resulting in someone who was mostly human with a few Koloss like side effects... Although don't ask me how that one guy got alomatic powers.

That's how it works. Humans with allomantic DNA can Become Koloss by accepting the spikes. When two Koloss breed, they make a Koloss Blooded Human. That Child can choose to accept the spikes and become a Koloss, or to remain as a blue skinned Human. The The Koloss blooded Pewter arm decided to leave the Koloss tribes instead of becoming a Koloss. One of his parents were probably a first Generation Koloss with Allomantic abilities.

The koloss might follow a perverse form of Sliverism, seeing as TLR was their original creator.

However, I kind of doubt that, seeing as they were never that organized back then.

They'd probably be more thankful towards Harmony for making them a true breeding race. 

Can I just go on record as saying I really, really want to see Koloss characters in the second trilogy, if not in the rest of the Wax and Wayne set?

Because I really want to see a Koloss character. Until now they've been villains or henchmen; it'd be interesting to see how they've changed since then. I remember the Koloss being a huge threat in the original series, whereas the Wax adventures didn't seem to suggest they were as terrifying as they once were, so...

Yeah, I want to see more Koloss.

I thought it was also stated the Jak is basically a complete idjit. So I always take what is written by him with a pinch of iron. (or is it steel?)

Except it's Handerwym who's actually writing it all down (I think Jak is dictating it to him**).  If you haven't read the MAG supplement's Pits of Eltania "episodes", do so.  Handerwym's sarcastic footnotes are utterly hysterical.  I was laughing so hard when I read it that my husband kept giving me strange looks.

**Or Jak is writing it down and Handerwym is editing for publication.  Either way, I remember a pretty disctinct complaint on the Terrisman's part about how Jak insists that "koloss" is spelled with an exclamation point in the middle.

Edited by Kaymyth

Yeah... Jak isn't the shiniest copper in the vault.

"Jak is completely, blissfully unaware of modern scholarship regarding the koloss..." -- Handerwym's notations

Doesn't he mention in the Elendel Daily that the Koloss say anyone can join them, and that a few claimed to be from the city? Be afraid, Jak. Be very afraid.

Edited by Slowswift

The koloss might follow a perverse form of Sliverism, seeing as TLR was their original creator.

However, I kind of doubt that, seeing as they were never that organized back then.

They'd probably be more thankful towards Harmony for making them a true breeding race. 

Yea and there's the whole talking to them in their heads thing that Harmony can do to anyone with a spike.

Yea and there's the whole talking to them in their heads thing that Harmony can do to anyone with a spike.

I think Koloss would follow a their own primitive religion, like the stars or moon and stuff, because they do seem to be very simple minded but are slowly getting there, i hope. And with Harmony talking into the Koloss heads I think they would look at him as something evil or the opposite to their own Gods. I think most people and especially the Koloss would freak out if they heard a voice coming from their own head. 

I think Koloss would follow a their own primitive religion, like the stars or moon and stuff, because they do seem to be very simple minded but are slowly getting there, i hope. And with Harmony talking into the Koloss heads I think they would look at him as something evil or the opposite to their own Gods. I think most people and especially the Koloss would freak out if they heard a voice coming from their own head.

Koloss-blooded have normal intelligence. When they make up the bulk of the children and there being a tradition of when to decide on accepting the spikes the society can't be too dumb.

They really don't seem to care about Ruin in their heads either tbh.

That's my point they did like being mind controlled by ruin. Being talked to by Sazed in their head might reawaken those feelings

I'm not sure I'm reading that right, because your two sentences seem to come together as the complete opposite point to your original point.