The New Ending To Kaladin Szeth Fight

Sasukerinnegan

The new Kaladin-Szeth ending  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new ending to fight between Kaladin and Szeth?

• Yes
    • No
    • I like both endings equally
    • I want a different ending

I didn't like the change. I just finished Words of Radiance, and then read about the changes here. I don't get the vengeance/anger angle at all. 

Kaladin overcame his vengeance and feelings of bitter anger when he stood against Moash. That was the entire point of that scene. Thats why Syl returned and he got his powers backs

His fight with Szeth was about fulfilling his vows. His vow was to defend Dalinar. When Szeth tries to streak away towards the plateau, Kaladin flashbacks to how Zahel targeted Adolin in the training arena to teach Kaladin about the difficulties regarding defending someone. Again when Szeth flies through the Storm, kaladin realises he knows where the army went and if he loses Szeth,Szeth will find Dalinar and kill him. His attack on Szeth was about defending Dalinar. He was fulfilling hos vows. That Szeth refused to defend himslef was something entirely separate, he realised that he had been deceived and all his actions were mistakes. 

Thus there was no vengeance here. Kaladin was doing his duty.

The point is that he hesitated enough to seem unsure whether there was a need to kill Szeth at all anymore now that he seems to have no desire to continue judging from where the conversation had been going, in my opinion. Before he would've murdered the opposition without a second thought and only doubted himself later before shrugging it off, now he actually has doubts about how much physical harm to the threat is actually necessary to fulfill his oaths.

He opted to let the guy die in the confusion anyway to go after the sword anyway, of course, but at least he thought about it a bit. I guess that's progress.

I dont know if I agree with you completely on this point. I have a feeling Hobber will walk agian.

The way I interpreted it, squires piggyback off of a radiant's nahel bond.  So they can probably heal spiritual damage, but it may take more stormlight to do so.

• 2 years later...
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 2:19 PM, Sasukerinnegan said:

My Q is simple - Do you like the changes made to the Kaladin Szeth fight or not?

I honestly do not like the new ending because Szeth-son-son Valano the entire book, was not really a bad guy. He was kind of forced into his position of Assassin. By being named Truthless, he was a prisoner of who ever held the Oath stone. So, think about being a guy with complete control over a person who has these awesome powers, and is pretty close to invincible. Now imagine being in that situation, and you need to rise in the world. What better way than to send a skilled Assassin to kill any competitors? The whole time (although limited) that Szeth's view was being explained, he had to deal with the screams of those he was forced to slaughter with an Honorblade. And the whole time, he was searching for a way out, a way to disappear, a way for the pain to stop. So, I think the old ending was better due to him purposely giving up the fight, and dying on his own terms, then fighting brutally until the end where he falls. Now, the main reason (besides that he tried to avoid unnecessary kills, I mean, he avoided killing Adolin twice when he could have easily) that I say that Szeth was never really a bad guy, is because when he dies, Nin, a justice Skybreaker, finds enough honor and honesty in Szeth to recruit Szeth (although he could never be a full Skybreaker)  and says "Hello, would you like to kill some evil today?" So no, I do not like the new ending.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 2:19 PM, Sasukerinnegan said:

My Q is simple - Do you like the changes made to the Kaladin Szeth fight or not?

I honestly do not like the new ending because Szeth-son-son Valano the entire book, was not really a bad guy. He was kind of forced into his position of Assassin. By being named Truthless, he was a prisoner of who ever held the Oath stone. So, think about being a guy with complete control over a person who has these awesome powers, and is pretty close to invincible. Now imagine being in that situation, and you need to rise in the world. What better way than to send a skilled Assassin to kill any competitors? The whole time (although limited) that Szeth's view was being explained, he had to deal with the screams of those he was forced to slaughter with an Honorblade. And the whole time, he was searching for a way out, a way to disappear, a way for the pain to stop. So, I think the old ending was better due to him purposely giving up the fight, and dying on his own terms, then fighting brutally until the end where he falls. Now, the main reason (besides that he tried to avoid unnecessary kills, I mean, he avoided killing Adolin twice when he could have easily) that I say that Szeth was never really a bad guy, is because when he dies, Nin, a justice Skybreaker, finds enough honor and honesty in Szeth to recruit Szeth (although he could never be a full Skybreaker)  and says "Hello, would you like to kill some evil today?" So no, I do not like the new ending.

• Chaos locked this topic