God Metal Production

vertigo 1

I was wondering if there was a way to artificially generate Lerasium and Atium. this question come from the fact that everything (except humans) on scadrial contains equal amounts of ruin and preservation, I was wondering if there is some way to separate the two powers that is contained in say, a rock, and condense them into equal amounts of Lerasium and Atium.

I'm not sure this is possible. For example, there's tons of speculation that Sazed's god metal, sazedium, would be half Ruin/half Preservation - and yet, it's not going to be ordinary matter. Or is it?

Stormlight spoilers:

Lift strongly suggests it is possible to do this, however.

I'm not sure this is possible. For example, there's tons of speculation that Sazed's god metal, sazedium, would be half Ruin/half Preservation - and yet, it's not going to be ordinary matter. Or is it?

Do you mean harmonium? Or are you saying that sazedium is something else entirely? (Which, of course, is possible.)

In the case of manufacturing lerasium and atium, Scadrians would first need to figure out what "separating Ruin and Preservation from rock" means in the first place. What does it mean that a piece of rock has Ruin and Preservation in it? Would Nalthian rock have Ruin and Preservation? Does it have Endowment in it?

If Scadrian matter is unique in having both Ruin and Preservation, what happens when another Shard Invests on Scadrial? Will Scadrian rock suddenly find itself containing part of that new Shard? Will it still appear as regular rock?

What happens if, for example, you remove Preservation from a Ruin+Preservation+Endowment rock? Would a Ruin+Endowment rock be any different from regular Ruin+Preservation rock?

Anyway, we clearly don't know enough to even guess about the possibility of man-made lerasium and atium via manipulation of normal matter, though as natc said it might be possible to condense the Shardic mists. Maybe if you ask Sazed really nicely. ;)

Edited by skaa

Same thing. 'Sazedium' fits the pattern better, which is why I used it.

It does, yes, but since Brandon already revealed the name "harmonium" I guess maybe we should start using that from now on. (Unless someone specifically wants to theorize about a sazedium that is different from harmonium.)

Edited by skaa

Well, maybe Harmonium would be his "element"* (as in, made up of one kind of atoms, a non-alloy) and Sazedium being a 50/50 alloy of Atium and Lerasium. Maybe?

*Stupid ponies, get out of my brain...

The only pattern with god metals is that they are all named after the shard's consciousnesses themselves and not the intent of the shard. If a third naturally occurring element (god metals all likely exist on the periodic table as something else physically speaking, IIRC) was used as the basis the resulting metal would likely be the one named sazedium or something similar.

If it even creates a pure element at all, as Harmony despite it all still possesses two intents and might spit out an alloy for all we know. Hell, are the other god metals even pure elements? I don't even know.

I can imagine the nuclear synthesis of Atium would be a pretty sweet plot point in the Sci-Fi era of Mistborn.

"The southern continent has completed the balance bomb!"

I actually considered this when I though up this theory and how hard it makes producing the god metals in the first place. You'd have to find a way to prevent the two powers from coming into contact with each other and blow up the neighborhood.

Whoever said atium was its own element :P

Even if it wasn't, the nuclear analysis of Atium would certainly be a major breakthrough - since it would allow one to study the spiritual properties of Atium, by comparison to its mundane counterpart - if indeed, Atium isn't its own element.

Basic rule of Physics. If you can't see something, strip away everything you can see, and observe the shadow of what remains.

• Chaos locked this topic