Proto Skybreaker, Istow?

Aoibheann

Brightlady Istow, highjudge of the dueling ground loves the law.  She is so focused on the law and the rules she is not willing to stop Adolin's duel with Relis and friends.  Though she has enough compassion she tried to make sure Adolin knew what he was getting into. 

"I've told you, Prince Relis," Istow said from behind.  "Prince Adolin didn't break any - "

- Words of Radiance, page 622 

The highjudge lingered, regarding Adolin.  "You realize what you have done."

"I know the dueling conventions quite well.  Yes.  I'm aware."

She sighed, but nodded, walking out.

- Words of Radiance, page 622

Brightness Istow was a tall, greying woman who sat with hands in her lap, watching the duel.  She did not turn as Dalinar stepped up beside her.

"It is time to end this, Istow," Dalinar said.  "Call the fight.  Award the victory to Relis and his team."

The woman kept her eyes forward, watching the duel.

"Did you hear me?" Dalinar demanded.

She said nothing.

"Fine," he said.  "I'll end it then."

"I am highprince here, Dalinar, " the woman said.  "in this arena, my word is the only law, granted me by the authority of the King."  She turned to him.  " Your son has no surrendered and he is not incapacitated.  The terms of the duel have not been met, and I will not end it until they have been.  Have you no respect for the law?

- Words of Radiance, page 663

I can think of no other characters who fit the traits the Highspren are presumably looking for more than Istow.  I have no idea how that fits with Nalan's plans.

I read that.  

Adolin felt a panic rising.  He looked toward the highjudge.  She could call this on her own, if she felt it had gone too far.  

She sat imperiously in her seat, watching him.  Adolin thought he saw something behind her calm expression.  They got to her,  he thought.   With a bribe, perhaps.

- Words of Radiance, page 663

I believe Adolin thinks she is too slow to react, but I think he's wrong.  He is interpreting her as being bought off, but she believes that the rules must be followed.  In fact, her comments to Dalinar come after Adolin's assumption.  

Ok, I re-read the Istow chapters, and these quotes are from Ch. 57, To Kill the Wind, and are from Kaladin's perspective:

"Brightlord Elit yields the combat" she said, sounding reluctant. (pg 669, hardcover)

Kaladin heard his screams echoing inside the hallways there long after the man vanished.

The arena grew still.

"Highlord Relis Ruthar," the judge finally called, sounding disturbed, "forfeits by cause of leaving the duelling arena." (pg 672)

So, either she doesn't feel comfortable in allowing Kaladin to duel and beat lighteye shardbearers, or she seems reluctant and disturbed because the people she was supporting were losing.

Either way,  to me it seems her feelings and emotions and preferences are getting in the way of properly judging the contest, and thus Nale & the Highspren would exclude her from the Skybreakers.

Edited by Kelek's Breath

It's her job, she's an umpire/referree it's very important that she enforces and calls the rules. If she doesn't she'll lose street cred and someone else will probably end up overseeing matches instead of her.

• 2 weeks later...

Its possible. If Istow is a Skybreaker, then I would also suggest that Redin, the former Veden king Valam's bastard son could be one too. He seems set on seeing justice done and is used as an executioner.

Actually, I have personally placed Redding (spelling?) as a Dustbringer... Now I have fully jumped into the Adolin will become an Edgedancer via his revived dead-Blade, we sort of need one. Not easy to find the right candidate.

I also like Istow as a Skybreaker. Could she be the minor KR viewpoint Brandon mentioned a while back? Prior to this WoB, I do not recall anybody theorizing on her being a Radiant. I like it better than Szeth.

Ok, I re-read the Istow chapters, and these quotes are from Ch. 57, To Kill the Wind, and are from Kaladin's perspective:

So, either she doesn't feel comfortable in allowing Kaladin to duel and beat lighteye shardbearers, or she seems reluctant and disturbed because the people she was supporting were losing.

Either way,  to me it seems her feelings and emotions and preferences are getting in the way of properly judging the contest, and thus Nale & the Highspren would exclude her from the Skybreakers.

Or maybe she is disturbed because someone about to win just ran or screaming in fear instead. Random insanity generally makes most people uncomfortable, after all.

• Chaos locked this topic