My Two Cents (Or Maybe $7.50)

Garglemesh

Hey everyone! I've been snooping around for a while and have even got to the point that I'm helplessly obsessed with the Stormlight Archives and have started pages of questions for Brandon. Anyway. I just want to say something about Taln and the like. Do I need spoiler stuff at this point? When rereading I-7, it seems fairly extremely obvious that Taln is Taln. I guess no one is disputing that this guy has gone through some major torture and has lost it a bit. It just might be a different person than Taln, right? I know what Brandon said, but I mean come on! How can't it be?

"'I am Talenel'Elin, Herald of War.' Voice. He spoke it. He didn't think it. The words came, like they always came."

So the words came as they always came. Sounds like a guy who is used to saying he's Talenel'Elin, Herald of War. Could it be that maybe he's just not himself right now? Is that what Brandon meant? No. That doesn't fit either. Why would he give that away though if it's a big reveal later on? Am I to assume that it's some other guy, like a herald like Kalak, who then memorized that line and repeated it a zillion times during years of torture? And then perhaps referenced himself? Meh. Dunno 'bout that. So if someone did take his place, I'm to assume Taln then decided to, with his new-found freedom, go run off somewhere far away and not tell anyone or prepare anyone? So that doesn't make sense to me. I don't know. What I do know is this:

This guy has been through torture.
This guy is late.

This guy claims to be Taln.

The only thing I don't understand is the line, "The Gift and words. Not his. Never his. Now his."

That does sound like someone who is being someone or thing they're not normally. Anyway. Just a little rant. I'm sorta really good at those. Glad to be here though and hope to be able to contribute some day maybe.

So here's some over-thinking: When Wit hits himself on the head a few times to have "an objective frame of reference by which to judge the experience of your company." Bordin assumes Wit is making fun of him. What if Wit was instead referring to "Taln", who would be Bordin's company ("We're having company over tonight") and not Bordin's company ("He makes terrible company")? It doesn't actually mean anything unless it gives us insight as to who the heck this guy is. What ever. I'm really done now.

P.S.

Can someone explain some of formatting here? For example, how do I make quotes appear in fancy boxes? How do I make spoiler boxes? How do I make a good hummus? Basic stuff like that. Unless there's a place that explains that. Then I apologize and will look a little more carefully. Also, does one's two cents refer to the value of their comments? Or the amount of their comments? Because those are different.

Welcome to the 17th Shard!  And I think Taln is definitely the real Taln.

To do spoilers, click the button that's third from the left on the top bar of the editor.  (If you hover your mouse over it, it says "special BBCode.")  Then choose "Spoiler," insert the text you want, and click OK, and you'll have your very own set of spoiler tags that you can use at your leisure...

Just like this! :)

Oh, and beware of strangers offering you cookies...