Gahhh I'm sorry I'm dumb.

Nice! Music seems like such a hard major; not something I'd do probably. Theory annoys me because some of it isn't very practical (the whole sharps/flats, and then double sharps and flats like why would you do that. i know why but why)

I firmly believe that double accidentals were created by evil music gnomes to torment young and old musicians alike.  The next time you see one in rehearsal, raise your fist to the sky and cry out, "Accursed dark gnomes!" and watch the entire room stare at you like you're a lunatic.

Ordinary sharps and flats, well, those are useful.  It would be boring if everything were in the key of C major or A minor all the time.  You don't have to have perfect pitch to start recognizing when pieces are in the same key.  That's why certain bands (*coughcoughnickelbackcough*) have so many songs that sound alike.  Either their guitarists can't handle exotic keys (and by exotic I mean "anything with flats"), or their lead vocalist has a limited range that doesn't let them spread out too far.  They wind up with the same keys and sticking with familiar chord progressions, which has the unfortunate effect of making it all sound the same.

College-level music theory gets a whole lot more complicated and useful than most of the stuff you've probably been exposed to thus far.  The whole point is to teach you how it all fits together to build the basis for writing/transcribing good music.  Things like writing good voice parts (parallel fifths are verboten, except when they're not), putting together standard chord progressions, handling key changes and the like.  And then there's the aural skills to go along with it; you learn to recognize and name intervals just by hearing them, finding the tonic in a chord, etc.  It all culminates in orchestration where you learn to put it all together and figure out how to arrange music for different sets of instruments without creating Truly Impossible Things.

Honestly, it's all really cool when it comes together.  Except for atonal stuff; that can all go die in a fire.

Edited by Kaymyth

I'd like to join, if you don't mind.

I'm not an artist though. Or a musician. I do write now and again though - I have bits and pieces here, but lately, its mostly been MLP fan fiction on fimfiction. I am kind of planning some cosmere fan fiction though!

It actually went really great!

We were all really scared, especially the director. This was her first contest because she's straight out of college. And the judges this year were hard. One judge had given out a grand total of three ones all day. And it was the end of the day. They were all tired.

Anyway, we play, and it was great. We totally rocked the sight reading too! Anyway, we get the results back and the director was in tears. Stright ones. All across the board. Which is fantastic! We were one out of three bands that day to get the same score. Really great.

It actually went really great!

We were all really scared, especially the director. This was her first contest because she's straight out of college. And the judges this year were hard. One judge had given out a grand total of three ones all day. And it was the end of the day. They were all tired.

Anyway, we play, and it was great. We totally rocked the sight reading too! Anyway, we get the results back and the director was in tears. Stright ones. All across the board. Which is fantastic! We were one out of three bands that day to get the same score. Really great.

Wait. I've never been to a band concert, so is a "1" good or bad? 

She was incredibly happy. We were all happy! What an exciting night for us all!

She was so happy that she decided to get us doughnuts today and not make us play.

I"m glad to hear that everything went so well.   :D

I'm a musician.  Music is arts.  :)

I also sew, primarily costuming.  My next project (to get really going on as soon as we're done moving) is that armored Jean Grey bit that I've been planning for a while now.  After that, I've got some Alloy of Law designs in mind.

I started sewing a tiny chull, but I never finished it.... 

Edited by ChullRider

Welcome to all the new members!

Today I got to help the little beginner flutes. The tone was questionable but they were so cute. So cute.

A few were really getting upset about the music so I had to quote a Tumblr post to them- "if you're ever feeling down about your abilities,just remember there was a time when you couldn't even put the darn instrument together!"

The stuff they were playing was hard, or at least, for a beginner band. They played it pretty well, too.