Nale's Stormlight Sucker?

Shattered

Where exactly did Nale find an insect that extracts Stormlight from people? In the Lift interlude in WoR, he has it in his hand, and is described by Lift as like a cremling but with wings, which were bound along with its legs. What kind of creature is this and how does it factor into Surgebinding? How did Nale get his hands on it?

EDIT: I now know that this is a Larkin.

Edited by Shattered Logic

Nale's been around for thousands of years, and so knows all about the Roshar fauna.

Also, this is the second one we see in WoR.
One is given by the "island" to Rysn in a previous Interlude.
They are thought extinct when Aimia was scoured (whatever that was ).

So, it would not have been difficut in the past 4500 years for him to pick one up to us in situations such as the incident with Lift.

Nale's been around for thousands of years, and so knows all about the Roshar fauna.

Also, this is the second one we see in WoR.

One is given by the "island" to Rysn in a previous Interlude.

They are thought extinct when Aimia was scoured (whatever that was ).

So, it would not have been difficut in the past 4500 years for him to pick one up to us in situations such as the incident with Lift.

Also, Kal sees Syl get interested in one (probably dead) that is encased in glass on the King's desk at the first meeting that he guarded.

They are thought to be basically extinct but Rysn has one as well. 

Roshar seems to be coming alive again, the spren becoming active, Surgebinding, new Listener Forms, Larkins, ETC.

I wonder if there will be a new surge of old Magic aswell?? It feels reminiscent of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Yeah i suppose living through 4500+ years you can't help but pick up a few things.

They are thought to be basically extinct but Rysn has one as well. 

Roshar seems to be coming alive again, the spren becoming active, Surgebinding, new Listener Forms, Larkins, ETC.

I wonder if there will be a new surge of old Magic aswell?? It feels reminiscent of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Yeah i suppose living through 4500+ years you can't help but pick up a few things.

I'm still not sure what exactly Brandon is doing with the Old Magic. It seems relatively certain that the Nightwatcher is indeed a spren, and behaves and is regarded similarly to the Stormfather, which is known to be a spren. He can directly affect storms, and apparently the Nightwatcher can somehow use abilities to widely interpret and implement boons accompanied with curses. I don't see how this could possibly align with the rules of Surgebinding or Voidbinding, so it seems plausible that some ability pertaining to powerful spren that we just don't have sufficient information to understand yet.

After getting that slight tangent out of the way, there doesn't really seem to be any specific resurgence in use of the Old Magic, though perhaps it is becoming more popular with people and we don't have the context to see that yet. Voidbinding, though... that will be interesting. The sections of listener songs in the chapter pretexts in WoR indicate that the forms of power are both numerous and deadly.

Still have no clue in Damnation what the Unmade are. Some kind of spren, perhaps?

• 1 month later...

Oh!  We need a hero who can suck (or mop) up all of the stormlight for the Knights Radiant and constrict the Voidbringers' source.  I know exactly who to call.

consuela.jpg

Just get her some lemon pledge, windex, and a vacuum cleaner.  She'll win us this war!

Edited by Patrick Star

• Chaos locked this topic