Bad Descriptions (Game)

Newan

Bad Descriptions is all about giving an accurate description of something (a movie, tv show, book, comic, et cetera) that is misleading, then seeing if anyone can figure out what you're referring to.  

If nobody figures it out within a couple of hours, start giving hints.  

If nobody has even come close to figuring it out within 24 hours, reveal the answer and let somebody else give it a go.  

The trick to making this game work is creating descriptions that are challenging, yet still solvable.  Once you come up with a description, start thinking of hints.  

Remember, everything must be technically true.  You can kind of fudge the meaning of some words, but once you know the answer it must all make sense.  

Example: 

An extra-terrestrial helps a human inventor to create a sentient robot.  Hijinks ensue when they realize that the automaton is a sociopath.  

Haven't figured it out yet?  Here's a hint:  The robot has an intelligent insectoid as a traveling companion.

Hint #2: When the robot finally begins to live by a moral code, the alien gives it a flesh body as a reward.  

Answer: Pinocchio!

And here's the description to start us off:  

After a group of children are separated from their parents, they find a newborn child who wants to kill and eat them.  

And a trust fund kid eyes the throne, completely unaware his jilted lover is a supervillain. 

Of course, this is the same author who wrote a book about an orphan who joins a gang of domestic terrorists in an attempt to assassinate the governor of Chicago and later New York City, so it's hardly surprising. :wacko:

Of course, this is the same author who wrote a book about an orphan who joins a gang of domestic terrorists in an attempt to assassinate the governor of Chicago and later New York City, so it's hardly surprising. :wacko:

This book opens with this orphan helping these terrorists assassinate a head of state in an attempt to impress them. It's pretty hardcore. 

This book opens with this orphan helping these terrorists assassinate a head of state in an attempt to impress them. It's pretty hardcore. 

Some of the sweetest moments of the book concern the young terrorist and his love interest from a war-torn nation arguing about what the best gun for murdering state officials is. :wacko: That book is intense

Not as intense as The Wizard of Oz, but still pretty hardcore like you said.

Edited by Kobold King

Some of the sweetest moments of the book concern the young terrorist and his love interest from a war-torn nation arguing about what the best gun for murdering state officials is. :wacko: That book is intense

Not as intense as The Wizard of Oz, but still pretty hardcore like you said.

Doesn't one of those conversations follow rather closely on a scene where the orphan and his fellow terrorist agree that government officials aren't really human? :o 

She does all that after stealing the murdered woman's most valuable possession. :blink: 

Doesn't one of those conversations follow rather closely on a scene where the orphan and his fellow terrorist agree that government officials aren't really human? :o

She does all that after stealing the murdered woman's most valuable possession. :blink:

The hypocritical part of the book is that the leader of the terrorists was once a public servant himself, but since he "suppresses" the "corrupted" part of himself he's considered to be okay. <_<

The worst part is that the girl's next victim is implied to be the first victim's sister. :blink: This is a full-blown serial killer we're talking about.

Edited by Kobold King

The hypocritical part of the book is that the leader of the terrorists was once a public servant himself, but since he "suppresses" the "corrupted" part of himself he's considered to be okay. <_<

The worst part is that the girl's next victim is implied to be the first victim's sister. :blink: This is a full-blown serial killer we're talking about.

It looks like the worldview will become more nuanced when they kidnap a public official who turns out to be incredibly sweet….but of course, this one is nothing like the other government officials, and he naturally occupied an extremely low-level position with no opportunity for advancement, because everyone else in the government is evil.  <_<

A serial killer with a grudge.  :o And doesn't she team up with a man so unintelligent he jokes about not having a brain, so he won't be able to outthink her? 

It looks like the worldview will become more nuanced when they kidnap a public official who turns out to be incredibly sweet….but of course, this one is nothing like the other government officials, and he naturally occupied an extremely low-level position with no opportunity for advancement, because everyone else in the government is evil.  <_<

A serial killer with a grudge.  :o And doesn't she team up with a man so unintelligent he jokes about not having a brain, so he won't be able to outthink her? 

Yeah. That book was hard to read. :wacko: Fortunately there's an RP based on the book with a far more likable cast of protagonists. My favorites are a college professor trying to found a charitable society, a wealthy coffee shop patron who's running for mayor, and the brother of an Astorian civil servant who takes on an adorkable young redhead as his personal protege. ^_^

One of the main characters is literally heartless. Literally heartless. :o

Yeah. That book was hard to read. :wacko: Fortunately there's an RP based on the book with a far more likable cast of protagonists. My favorites are a college professor trying to found a charitable society, a wealthy coffee shop patron who's running for mayor, and the brother of an Astorian civil servant who takes on an adorkable young redhead as his personal protege. ^_^

One of the main characters is literally heartless. Literally heartless.  :o

Oh, yeah, I've read that RP. It's not free of villains, though. A hyperactive former pilot drenches the professor in gasoline and threatens to light him on fire while her boyfriend watches and says nothing. Of course, he has no ambition whatsoever, so what do you expect. <_< 

Doesn't the mayor in that story manage to convince his city he has actual magical powers? 

Oh, yeah, I've read that RP. It's not free of villains, though. A hyperactive former pilot drenches the professor in gasoline and threatens to light him on fire while her boyfriend watches and says nothing. Of course, he has no ambition whatsoever, so what do you expect. <_<

Doesn't the mayor in that story manage to convince his city he has actual magical powers? 

That poor professor. :( Said hyperactive pilot just won't give the guy a break. She's threatened bodily harm against him twice, and she surrounds herself with absolutely awful people. One of her new "friends" is actually plotting to murder the professor because he doesn't like how he treated his in-laws, and the more benign of them are a goth and a hippie that nearly drove the poor man to tears by relentlessly making fun of his clothing and his charitable ambitions.

Seriously. For me, that woman--I think her name is "Doctor" something?--crossed the Moral Event Horizon in her very first appearance. She kidnapped her future boyfriend right out from a disciplinary council with his boss, destroying so much of his employer's personal property that her boyfriend's certain to never find stable employment with him again. She ruined the poor guy's life, and then roped him into a completely non-consensual relationship that's honestly too creepy for words. :wacko:

I think so. It's been a while since I read it, but one of the wiser, more mentorly figures of the book is a con man who's somehow became the governor of a city by claiming to have magical powers. It is he that convinces the girl and her partners in crime to take up the hitman trade. :wacko:

That poor professor. :( Said hyperactive pilot just won't give the guy a break. She's threatened bodily harm against him twice, and she surrounds herself with absolutely awful people. One of her new "friends" is actually plotting to murder the professor because he doesn't like how he treated his in-laws, and the more benign of them are a goth and a hippie that nearly drove the poor man to tears by relentlessly making fun of his clothing and his charitable ambitions.

Seriously. For me, that woman--I think her name is "Doctor" something?--crossed the Moral Event Horizon in her very first appearance. She kidnapped her future boyfriend right out from a disciplinary council with his boss, destroying so much of his employer's personal property that her boyfriend's certain to never find stable employment with him again. She ruined the poor guy's life, and then roped him into a completely non-consensual relationship that's honestly too creepy for words. :wacko:

I think so. It's been a while since I read it, but one of the wiser, more mentorly figures of the book is a con man who's somehow became the governor of a city by claiming to have magical powers. It is he that convinces the girl and her partners in crime to take up the hitman trade. :wacko:

Don't even get me started on how the goth and hippie treated the Mayor of Astoria when she dropped by. The poor woman was just trying to find her brother; it's not her fault nobody cared enough to listen to her vent a little. :( Oh, and the goth is absolutely horrid to the HOA director of a gated community. All he's done is make it so clean and pleasant it attracts the best and brightest, and she calls him a dictator! 

And then there's the mayoral candidate's new employee. He's so speedy some say he can actually travel through time, and he's so enthusiastic about his work that some say he's a little insane. And when he teamed up with a pollster (who is extremely good at sensing the mood of the public) to combat apathy, everyone called him a monster. 

I'm telling you, the characters in that game have no idea what good and evil mean anymore.