Open Submissions

Aminar

Brandon saw this, and he had this to say on reddit.

Not sure what I think of this. Right now, one of the main things that a NY publisher can give you is their distribution chain. Print still makes up a lot of sales, and it's almost impossible to get into physical bookstores in a wide release without a large publisher.

Selling with the intention that it will be ebook only means you lose out on this. Granted, a solid editor is worth some amount. Marketing for a book like this basically will boil down to "We will pay Amazon/iBooks to give good placement for the novel." Publicity will be non-existent. (They aren't going to put you on tour or bring you to BEA for an e-original.)

I'm entrenched in NY publishing, and feel they've done right by me, so I'm not one of these "you MUST self publish" types. However, something about this posting makes me uncomfortable. Perhaps it's because they look like they're specifically seeking people who don't know much about the business, and might not understand a horrible contract if offered one. Then again, I might be too wary.

Source

Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for posting the link, Aminar, and for posting Sanderson's comments, Windrunner.

Maybe I need to create a single thread to compile stuff like this, since we've gotten a couple posts like this recently. Though a thread like that should probably go in the Creator's Corner board rather than the RE board... anyone know if there's anything that in that forum already? (A brief scan says "no," but I don't spend much time there.)

I think we should combine these posts, but I would like some sort of notification at least in the RE board, as I don't venture out into the main forum that often. I'm planning to submit to the Leading Edge contest based on the information posted, so it's certainly useful.