Which power would you choose?

Straff Venture

504 members have voted

1. 1. What power do you wish you had the most?

• Allomancy
    • Feruchemy
    • Hemalurgy
    • AonDor
    • Chayshan
    • Dakhor Monk
    • Awakening
    • Returned
    • Soulcasting
    • Surgebinding
    • Shardplate
    • Twinborn

We're still not sure how the god-metal alloys work, are they a separate type of misting/ferring? or could a Seer burn all atium alloys? Or a Coinshot burn steel-atium alloys?

Lerasium and its alloys can be used by everyone don't forget, although not sure on feruchemy.

Anyways I should at least make that 34 for Allomantic and feruchemical atium, possibly 35 for feruchemical Lerasium.

Good point on anyone being able to burn Lerasium etc. Although don't they have other properties besides just granting Allomancy? (I vaguely remember a statement that turning people into Mistborn wasn't the primary use of Lerasium.) If so, do we know whether anyone could get those other uses out of them? Or was "average Joe" only able to burn them in order to gain Allomancy?

The only god-metal alloy that's really appeared in the story is Malatium. And I guess we never saw a Seer or a Gold Misting try to burn it. So yeah ... need more info, here.

Oh and compounding means you don't need to double up on spikes.

Debatable. Isn't compounding a double-strength power still going to be stronger than compounding a single-strength power? And there might be qualitative differences (does compounding Bronze necessarily allow piercing Copperclouds?) or differences in how fast you become a metal-dependent savant.

But it's probably moot anyway. As I think about it more, I'm pretty sure the double-strength thing can't be done by Hemalurgy (has to combo with natural/Lerasium-based Allomancy), if only because the multiple spikes would have to occupy the same space.

Although don't they have other properties besides just granting Allomancy?

Lerasium can definitely do something else but it's been implied that you need specific knowledge of how to use it, you can't just burn it.

Debatable. Isn't compounding a double-strength power still going to be stronger than compounding a single-strength power?

Only really relevant in a fight with another compounder but yes it would be, you'd still kick the Lerasium out of an ordinary mistborn though. The only real difference is the amount of time and metal needed.

• 6 months later...

I would actually choose Forgery, which wasn't an option.  

AonDor is big and flashy, while Forgery is quiet and subtle.  

I'd rather be a nice quiet Forger, carefully and quietly forging the world around me into a better version of itself, and making myself a number of essence marks to give myself the strengths and skillsets of a dozen different people.

A double Chromium Twinborn. Compounding luck would just make life so freaking epic.

I've always had a problem with this, I think that sometimes people mistake Compounding for being equal to infinite supplies, sure you could be 1000x luckier than most people most of the time with a bit of effort but even then you're just going to have good days most of the time, think about the best day you have in a 3 year period. Yes that'd be great to have everyday, but it's not quite like you're going to win the lottery everyday, then discover a Lerasium mine in your backyard or anything.

I've always had a problem with this, I think that sometimes people mistake Compounding for being equal to infinite supplies, sure you could be 1000x luckier than most people most of the time with a bit of effort but even then you're just going to have good days most of the time, think about the best day you have in a 3 year period. Yes that'd be great to have everyday, but it's not quite like you're going to win the lottery everyday, then discover a Lerasium mine in your backyard or anything.

:'( why can't I have a Lerasium mine? That'd be sweet.

No, I don't think I'd be able to win the lottery every day, or anything like that. I figure I'd have to avoid gambling altogether. No one would let me since being twinborn is in the public records.

No, I think chromium compounding would mainly be useful in a fight. Lots of what happens in a fight is random, especially when guns are involved. The luck would make things go in my favor. You'd HAVE to be a good shot to hit me, and I wouldn't have to even aim to hit you. Plus chromium's allomantic power would make it hard for any allomancer to go against me, though of course I would have to touch them while they were burning their metal. Lots of fun ideas, and I think it would make a great story (kind of a twist on Mat Cauthon), but given the choice of any shard power I actually choose Forgery, as I said earlier.

Depends entirely upon how skilled you are as a feruchemist.

How do you figure? Not much has been shown in terms of skill level in feruchemy.

Well, better feruchemists are better at manipulating their weight with iron

HoA chapter 43 bumper:

The best Feruchemist is the one who is most capable of sorting the information in his copperminds, or best able to manipulate his weight with iron.

The art that is unique to Hemalurgy, however, is the knowledge of where to place the spikes.

Similarly, inquisitors with spikes took longer to store feruchemical health than a real feruchemist (due to hemalurgic decay). I think it's a pretty solid assumption that stronger feruchemists can store and tap more of an attribute at once.

I still take issue with that, Compounders tap 1000x multipliers at once, I find it difficult to believe that Hemalurgic decay would relegate Inquisitors to being unable to store even the usual 20% or so, unless the spike had been left out for years.

I still take issue with that, Compounders tap 1000x multipliers at once, I find it difficult to believe that Hemalurgic decay would relegate Inquisitors to being unable to store even the usual 20% or so, unless the spike had been left out for years.

Hey man, blame Sazed, not me.

Regardless, trying to quantify 'luck' seems like a bad idea in the first place. Does 1000x luck mean 'if you roll three d10s, they'll all come up 10?', or 'you'll make a thousand times more money when gambling' or what.

Hey man, blame Sazed, not me.

Regardless, trying to quantify 'luck' seems like a bad idea in the first place. Does 1000x luck mean 'if you roll three d10s, they'll all come up 10?', or 'you'll make a thousand times more money when gambling' or what.

Sorry that did come across as a bit aggressive, I just meant I disagree with the mechanics as to how that works.

Yeah quantifying Luck is going to be a problem, on top of that how much does luck affect in the cosmere?

I found feruchemical luck to be incredibly overpowered until I realized all feruchemy is internal. You won't be able to drop anvils form nowhere on people or magically find that your backyard has Lerasium in it. Yes, you might accidentally find some Lerasium that was already there, but all Luck can do is help you do the right thing, it can't mess with others. So yes, it's more of a combat ability than anything.

Though it's marvelous on tests too.

Allomantic Tin / Feruchemical Copper Twinborn because those are my favorite powers.

I might have chosen Forgery if it had been option because it is my favorite system but I don't think I would be very good at it.  Let's just say I am artistically dis-inclined...

I found feruchemical luck to be incredibly overpowered until I realized all feruchemy is internal. You won't be able to drop anvils form nowhere on people or magically find that your backyard has Lerasium in it. Yes, you might accidentally find some Lerasium that was already there, but all Luck can do is help you do the right thing, it can't mess with others. So yes, it's more of a combat ability than anything.

Though it's marvelous on tests too.

I thought so too, actually, but then the MAG told us Luck was Spiritual (during the course of life for everyone, not just Feruchemists) and that Chromium was a Spiritual metal in Feruchemy, suggesting that the universe is on your side when tapping Luck.

Allomancy

Being a bloodmaker like Miles sounds really tempting, but in the end with full Allomancy I still get the regenerative benefits of pewter, plus the ability to fly, plus the ability to manipulate people easily.

If being a bloodmaker made you immortal I'd go for Twinborn, but it doesn't, so Allomancy it is then.

PS. Note that I can only judge the magic systems of Scadrial and Roshar.

Definitely Mistborn/Allomancy.  So many wonderful uses for Cadmium.  I would never waste time again.  Plus you can basically fly.  

Though I would prefer to dabble in everything.  Go worldhopping, and steal a bit of everything.  I would need a lot of earings...

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm better off as a tin Allomancy, copper Feruchemy Twinborn. It solves two of my worst real-life traits (forgetfulness and poor eyesight) and probably won't attract too many enemies. I'm not really the adventurous type, you see?  -_-

Oh, but what am I saying. I'm just a skaa, after all. :P

Edited by skaa

I think I'm better off as a tin Allomancy, copper Feruchemy Twinborn. It solves two of my worst real-life traits (forgetfulness and poor eyesight) and probably won't attract too many enemies. I'm not really the adventurous type, you see?  -_-

Oh, but what am I saying. I'm just a skaa, after all. :P

Scholar extraordinaire! Still able to read excellently and maintain a great memory well past most others :P