Lord Pifferdoo

I think they would give special magic powers to the birds around them ;)

But honestly, probably nothing. If those bugs gave powers to humans, some trapper would eventually eat them. If this individual got some super powers other trappers would figure out how he did it, and probably followed. But as we know, no human had any "magic" powers on this world.

• 1 month later...

It is possible only a very limited amount of people knew at least his uncle did. I doubt many knew though and trappers made their money selling birds right? It would not be in their interest to allow this secret to get out people would just brave the jungle eat a worm. Of course we have no idea what powers a human would get. Each species of bird seems to have varied powers. 

• 1 month later...

It seems to me that it would give the human a Talent, but that Talent wouldn't be usable by the human and would instead be granted to a nearby friend (unless it was a localized, universal power, like hiding minds).

If I'm right, it seems quite likely that at least some trappers in history have discovered this but have hidden the truth from everyone else for fear of becoming Talent Slaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Given how deadly everything is, seems more like a planet of Ruin... or maybe a planet of Hunger, which would make this related to a totally new Shard.

• 1 month later...

Its also possible that the grubs are poison to humans for some mundane reason. Based on the fact that 99% of the stuff on that island will kill you at the drop of a hat.

I agree with this, the island itself seems to favor the birds, so maybe the birds co evolve with the worms.

I agree with this, the island itself seems to favor the birds, so maybe the birds co evolve with the worms.

I wouldn't say the island favors the birds, really. Just that the birds found a way to survive on Austrail-err...Patji. I mean, the fact that they know to eat the worms isn't surprizing..what do birds normally eat?

It's implied that everything on the islands are wacky because of the grubs, and the most common power seams to be telepathy. The real question is what kind of investors do we got here, I think it's preservation because each animal and plants power lets them survive and preserve.

This is a minor shardworld, and thus doesn't actually have a shard on it. I don't recall where, but I believe Brandon said this book was meant to illustrate 'natural investiture', therefore, no shards mucking it up with their silly intents. However, I think this natural investiture will pose some interesting developments when introduced to shardic magic. The Ones Above are probably searching for the cause of the magic, whether they know its connection with the cognitive realm or not isn't quite clear.

It seems to me that it would give the human a Talent, but that Talent wouldn't be usable by the human and would instead be granted to a nearby friend (unless it was a localized, universal power, like hiding minds).

If I'm right, it seems quite likely that at least some trappers in history have discovered this but have hidden the truth from everyone else for fear of becoming Talent Slaves.

I agree with this, mostly. It wouldn't be the only type of magic incapable of affecting the user in the cosmere. Plus, if it is an external only thing, I doubt a trapper would even think it worked, really. They don't see other people often, and when they do, it's to trade and such, so the Talents we've seen wouldn't do much good, and they always have their Aviar with them providing the benefits, regardless. The only possible interest here would be if the trapper developed a radical new type of talent.

On the note of the parasites, I'm curious to see their effects in the future. They seem to have the ability to alter sDNA. This could prove to be useful in the grand scheme of things. Especially if the results could be controlled. Perhaps removing them from the island, tinkering with them in the cognitive realm, then eating them, you could choose which talents they bestowed?

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with this, mostly. It wouldn't be the only type of magic incapable of affecting the user in the cosmere. Plus, if it is an external only thing, I doubt a trapper would even think it worked, really. They don't see other people often, and when they do, it's to trade and such, so the Talents we've seen wouldn't do much good, and they always have their Aviar with them providing the benefits, regardless. The only possible interest here would be if the trapper developed a radical new type of talent.

On the note of the parasites, I'm curious to see their effects in the future. They seem to have the ability to alter sDNA. This could prove to be useful in the grand scheme of things. Especially if the results could be controlled. Perhaps removing them from the island, tinkering with them in the cognitive realm, then eating them, you could choose which talents they bestowed?

IMO, Sak seems to discount the "think it didn't work" option, as the bird was clearly able to direct the Talent towards the person they wanted to help, meaning there was some level of direct awareness. More likely, if the trapper thought it didn't work, it was because it didn't. Birds need to be "infected" as chicks, so perhaps it would only work if a baby/toddler was "infected"

As for sDNA alteration, I can definitely see a ton of uses for that. Allomancers could "grow" new Allomantic abilities, perhaps even use new Metals, as an example.

• 4 weeks later...

It's implied that everything on the islands are wacky because of the grubs, and the most common power seams to be telepathy. The real question is what kind of investors do we got here, I think it's preservation because each animal and plants power lets them survive and preserve.

It could be the elusive survival shard which Brandon hinted towards (Which admittedly, I only just learned from here- http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/35916-shadows-for-silence-theory-the-evil-forests-of-hell-and-shades/ )

I know that topic argued the shard was for SoS, but it could equally be for SotD too, based on the "surviving" theme- and the fact that the shard tried desperately to keep the birds source of investure hidden. I think it's more plausible that the survival shard is in SotD than SoS, although I guess it's possible that it's the same shard (given the stories could be 100 of years apart, and I imagine that kind of shard would move around to avoid danger)

It could be the elusive survival shard which Brandon hinted towards (Which admittedly, I only just learned from here- http://www.17thshard...ell-and-shades/ )

Question

What differentiates a minor Shardworld like First of the Sun?

Brandon Sanderson

The amount of Investiture, and whether there is actually a Shard in presence.

Question

I'm assuming there is not one there?

Brandon Sanderson

There is not one there.

(source)

Edited by Lindel

• Chaos locked this topic