Ars Arcana Author Confirmed?

WeiryWriter

Seems like, until we hear otherwise, this is the closest we can get to confirmation! A little bit more triangulation gives us this WOB:

Question

Is Hoid the most knowledgeable about what's going on in the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

No, Khriss is the most aware by a long shot. Nazh knows a lot as well. Hoid might know more than Nazh but he is pretty in the know as well so it's close.

(source)

I'd say that since we know she's the most Cosmere-aware, she's hired Nazh, and now Nazh works for the writer of the Ars Arcana, we have it all figured out. Now we just need to get someone to bring up all three of these WoB as evidence with Brandon and see if he can actually give us final confirmation. One we have that, case closed.

Edited by Titan Arum

There's still the possibility that she isn't the AAA, since Nazh "get's the worst end of the deal", but I kinda doubt that.

This to me just means he has to be the errand boy. For example, he has to go to the bottom of the sea to gather items from the ship wreck. We know from several of his notes that he doesn't enjoy many of his tasks, but reluctantly does them for some reason or another.

It's possible that Khriss isn't the author, but it would require some convoluted scenario where Nazh works for multiple people, or is a double agent, or something else... Possible, but not plausible, I think.

Or Khriss works for the AAA.

(Is it confirmed that there is a single Ars Arcanum Author?)

For some odd reason I thought this had already been confirmed, but I think I was just putting together the questions in the same manner as in the first post.

So according to the coppermind wiki, Khiss is from White Sand's Taldain, and Nazh's full name is "Nazrilof" and he's from Threnody.  I think it's safe to assume that Khriss is immortal, or at least very long lived, and Nazh likely is as well.  That said, I don't think they're part of the 17thshard, since it seems like they know enough to have directed the others to where Hoid is in Roshar if they really wanted to.

Unfortunately, it looks like White Sand is in the same situation as Dragonsteel, where the people who have read it aren't allowed to talk to us about it on an open forum.  So the people who are most familiar with Khriss can't tell us about her, but I'm wondering if they've known that she was the AAA this whole time.

Unfortunately, it looks like White Sand is in the same situation as Dragonsteel, where the people who have read it aren't allowed to talk to us about it on an open forum. So the people who are most familiar with Khriss can't tell us about her, but I'm wondering if they've known that she was the AAA this whole time.

Fortunately, it is easy to acquire a copy of White Sand to read for yourself - simply send Brandon Sanderson an email using the form on his website, and ask him to send it to you! :) (I recommended it! Despite it being a rough draft it was an enjoyable read. This is Sanderson we are talking about, after all.)

Took you long enough to figure it out.

(I have not known for 100% sure, but suspected for a long time. This basically confirms it for me.)

Unfortunately, it looks like White Sand is in the same situation as Dragonsteel, where the people who have read it aren't allowed to talk to us about it on an open forum. So the people who are most familiar with Khriss can't tell us about her, but I'm wondering if they've known that she was the AAA this whole time.

Soon™ you will :)

Edited by Chaos

So according to the coppermind wiki, Khiss is from White Sand's Taldain, and Nazh's full name is "Nazrilof" and he's from Threnody.  I think it's safe to assume that Khriss is immortal, or at least very long lived, and Nazh likely is as well.  That said, I don't think they're part of the 17thshard, since it seems like they know enough to have directed the others to where Hoid is in Roshar if they really wanted to.

We do know that the author is a part of Seventeenth Shard.

It is either Hoid or a member of Seventeenth Shard WoB

The author is not Hoid WoB

Therefore the author is Seventeenth Shard.

Fortunately, it is easy to acquire a copy of White Sand to read for yourself - simply send Brandon Sanderson an email using the form on his website, and ask him to send it to you! :) (I recommended it! Despite it being a rough draft it was an enjoyable read. This is Sanderson we are talking about, after all.)

Yeah... I sent that email 3 times. Last April, last June, and last August.

Lost in the mail?

Unfortunately, it looks like White Sand is in the same situation as Dragonsteel, where the people who have read it aren't allowed to talk to us about it on an open forum.  So the people who are most familiar with Khriss can't tell us about her, but I'm wondering if they've known that she was the AAA this whole time.

I don't think anyone reading WS would come to that conclusion. Something to note: the draft BS sends out is only the first volume of a trilogy, so it's only a 3rd of the overall story. That said, when BS first said that Khriss is the most Cosmere knowledgeable, it immediately made sense for her to be the AAA. 

The question all this raises for me is "What is Nazh being paid with?"

For a cosmere aware creature, any one currency wouldn't really cut it in my mind, and for them to have existed over hundreds of years, currencies would devalue any way. So, would he be paid in knowledge, or access to the method by which the worldhoppers are extending their lives?

If he's the man with his boots on the ground, wouldn't he be able to find a supply of it himself?

How do we know Nazh's full name is "Nazrilof"? Do we have WoB confirming this?

We do know that the author is a part of Seventeenth Shard.

It is either Hoid or a member of Seventeenth Shard WoB

The author is not Hoid WoB

Therefore the author is Seventeenth Shard.

This is news to me. I always thought Khriss was just working independently and wasn't tied to anyone except Nazh. So if Khriss is part of 17th shard why didn't she tell the 3 guys at the purelake where Hoid was? We know that Nazh was spying for her and there is no way he wouldn't notice Hoid as the king's wit at the shattered plains.

How do we know Nazh's full name is "Nazrilof"? Do we have WoB confirming this?

We know Nazh is short for something because of this WoB:

Q:  What's his name, the one who sends the letter with pictures … Nazir?

A:  Oh, Nazh? Nazh… (he gives a longer name. Sounds like Nazreloft, obviously spelling uncertain)

(source)

And then we have the spelling because of Brandon's bio on his site (check the attribution for the picture).

This is news to me. I always thought Khriss was just working independently and wasn't tied to anyone except Nazh. So if Khriss is part of 17th shard why didn't she tell the 3 guys at the purelake where Hoid was? We know that Nazh was spying for her and there is no way he wouldn't notice Hoid as the king's wit at the shattered plains.

We don't know exactly when Nazh first reaches the Plains though, it's entirely possible he didn't get there until after the Purelake interlude (since we didn't get any annotated art from him in WoK).

It could easily be explained by poor timing, and that they just miss each other (Nazh and Hoid). It could also be that Nazh doesn't know what Hoid looks like (any or all of Hoid's disguises). Also remember the sheer size of the Alethi camps at the Shattered Plains. It's very possible that even if Nazh and Hoid were there at the same time, they would never see each other. Honestly I'd be surprised if they did run into each other.

We know Nazh is short for something because of this WoB:

(source)

And then we have the spelling because of Brandon's bio on his site (check the attribution for the picture).

So is this guy a real person or is Brandon trying to troll us?

It could easily be explained by poor timing, and that they just miss each other (Nazh and Hoid). It could also be that Nazh doesn't know what Hoid looks like (any or all of Hoid's disguises). Also remember the sheer size of the Alethi camps at the Shattered Plains. It's very possible that even if Nazh and Hoid were there at the same time, they would never see each other. Honestly I'd be surprised if they did run into each other.

I think everyone part of the 17th shard organisation knows who Hoid is and what he "generally" looks like. Also people can see through his disguises if they know what they are looking for. Remember how Siri figured Hoid was pretending to be older than he was?

I'm not saying that they have run into each other but pretty much most people know that the King has a wit and that wit is crazy. Also if Nazh knows to keep an eye on Shallan and I'm assuming other members of the Kholin family, then he must have an idea of their entourage which the wit is part of.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but if Nazh was my employee and he failed to notice Hoid he would probably be losing a few paychecks!

For a cosmere aware creature, any one currency wouldn't really cut it in my mind, and for them to have existed over hundreds of years, currencies would devalue any way. So, would he be paid in knowledge, or access to the method by which the worldhoppers are extending their lives?

If he's the man with his boots on the ground, wouldn't he be able to find a supply of it himself?

Different flavors of spikes cookies.

I think everyone part of the 17th shard organisation knows who Hoid is and what he "generally" looks like. Also people can see through his disguises if they know what they are looking for. Remember how Siri figured Hoid was pretending to be older than he was?

I'm not saying that they have run into each other but pretty much most people know that the King has a wit and that wit is crazy. Also if Nazh knows to keep an eye on Shallan and I'm assuming other members of the Kholin family, then he must have an idea of their entourage which the wit is part of.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but if Nazh was my employee and he failed to notice Hoid he would probably be losing a few paychecks!

I'm going to disagree with you. We know next to nothing of Seventeenth Shard. In fact, the only information on them from the books is the two letters in Stormlight Archive. From WoBs, the only additional information we have is that the three gents from the Purelake Interlude are members, and the Ars Arcana author is a member. We actually, to my knowledge, don't have word of whether Nazh is a member or not, just that he is working for the Ars Arcana author, and as such many of us 17th Sharders have assumed he's therefore a member of Seventeenth Shard. Moreover, we don't know the inner workings of the organization. Is there a power struggle between two factions? Is the Ars Arcana author writing about these worlds, and employing Nazh, as a personal job or a hobby? This would mean they don't care about Hoid's doings. What is the knowledge level of each individual member of Seventeenth Shard? You mentioned that you expect each member to have basic knowledge of Hoid and be able to see-through his disguises, but can they? We don't actually know.

As for Nazh and Hoid, I'm still not convinced. Though everyone knows the King has a Wit, the Wits change all the time, as is mentioned in WoK. Hoid just happens to be the most recent Wit, and the characters who interact with him think he's a bit more over the top than the run of the mill Wit. Anyone without direct access to the Wit or his predecessors would have no idea if he's more crazy than usual. Given Nazh only observes, he doesn't interact, I think it is completely reasonable to think he's never been in the general vicinity of Wit. In fact, the only time the characters really interact with Wit in any way is at those parties, which is something I would think Nazh would avoid (unless I'm forgetting something from the books).

As a bit of a nitpick, I wouldn't call Wit a part of the Kholin entourage. He's really never around, ever. Almost every time one of the characters runs into him, they comment on how they never see him. In addition, I don't think Hoid's disguises are as easy to pierce as you think they are. Siri's comment that you bring up is that she feels he's acting older than he really is...but Hoid is older than he was acting. WAY older. If anything, I would say that Hoid's "act" included seeming like he was younger than he was portraying. That would be just like Hoid. Also, if Hoid knows Seventeenth Shard is looking for him, and he has knowledge that the three Purlake Interluders are members, if Nazh is a member I would think he knows and would have either done something about it already, mentioned it in the letter, or intentionally avoid Nazh all together.

That all being said, to each his own. You're welcome to your opinion, I'm welcome to mine. ^_^

I'm going to disagree with you. We know next to nothing of Seventeenth Shard. In fact, the only information on them from the books is the two letters in Stormlight Archive. From WoBs, the only additional information we have is that the three gents from the Purelake Interlude are members, and the Ars Arcana author is a member. We actually, to my knowledge, don't have word of whether Nazh is a member or not, just that he is working for the Ars Arcana author, and as such many of us 17th Sharders have assumed he's therefore a member of Seventeenth Shard. Moreover, we don't know the inner workings of the organization. Is there a power struggle between two factions? Is the Ars Arcana author writing about these worlds, and employing Nazh, as a personal job or a hobby? This would mean they don't care about Hoid's doings. What is the knowledge level of each individual member of Seventeenth Shard? You mentioned that you expect each member to have basic knowledge of Hoid and be able to see-through his disguises, but can they? We don't actually know.

As for Nazh and Hoid, I'm still not convinced. Though everyone knows the King has a Wit, the Wits change all the time, as is mentioned in WoK. Hoid just happens to be the most recent Wit, and the characters who interact with him think he's a bit more over the top than the run of the mill Wit. Anyone without direct access to the Wit or his predecessors would have no idea if he's more crazy than usual. Given Nazh only observes, he doesn't interact, I think it is completely reasonable to think he's never been in the general vicinity of Wit. In fact, the only time the characters really interact with Wit in any way is at those parties, which is something I would think Nazh would avoid (unless I'm forgetting something from the books).

As a bit of a nitpick, I wouldn't call Wit a part of the Kholin entourage. He's really never around, ever. Almost every time one of the characters runs into him, they comment on how they never see him. In addition, I don't think Hoid's disguises are as easy to pierce as you think they are. Siri's comment that you bring up is that she feels he's acting older than he really is...but Hoid is older than he was acting. WAY older. If anything, I would say that Hoid's "act" included seeming like he was younger than he was portraying. That would be just like Hoid. Also, if Hoid knows Seventeenth Shard is looking for him, and he has knowledge that the three Purlake Interluders are members, if Nazh is a member I would think he knows and would have either done something about it already, mentioned it in the letter, or intentionally avoid Nazh all together.

That all being said, to each his own. You're welcome to your opinion, I'm welcome to mine. ^_^

First hats off to you for your counter argument. Now its my turn. :)

1. I agree that Nazh is not necessarily a member of the 17th shard... but he doesn't have to be. I didn't even think he was a member until you brought it up. I just thought that he was Khriss' employee. This leaves us with two possibilities:

a) he is a member of the 17th shard and thus Khriss is his superior in the system: So from the information we have it can be assumed that

(with respect to the letter) he would have a general idea who Hoid is. If Hoid isn't known to the "underling members of the 17th shard" then I  still think Khriss would tell him about him to some extent as Hoid is far too important and meddling not to know who he is.

B) he is not a member of the 17th shard: This means that Khriss is his employer and is either using him with the knowledge of the organisation or on her own which means Khriss would have to give him ore info than just a normal member cause he is doing her dirty work.

In either of these situations Nazh is a worldhopper and is present and "observing" things that he shouldn't be able to, similar to how Hoid is in places where important things are happening. He retrieved Shallan or Jasnah's stuff from the ocean (sorry I'm fuzzy on the details) and looked at bridge four before anyone else knew of their links. In my mind this means that Khriss is using the same method as Hoid in figuring out important events (I'm not going to say seeing the future because I just think its more sensing where to be). There is no way that abilities like this won't give you at least some knowledge of the ransom anomaly that is Hoid popping up everywhere.

2. I still think Nazh who is a Worldhopper and observer as enough knowledge about lightweaving to see through Hoid's disguises (I think that is primary method of changing his appearance) I agree that he might have not been in Hoid's vicinity yet but he should notice him soon. Wit has been with Kaladin quit a few times, seen Shallan, brought back Taln and is now with Jasnah (though we don't know how that works). All these would be suspicious! If you are a good enough spy you would notice any of these and I believe Nazh is a good spy seeing that Khriss is the most cosmere aware person in the universe so I think she would hire only the best!

Sorry this is a bit jumbled up but I was never good at debating anyway :)

Edited by lookingglass

• 1 year later...

I'd caution that we don't even necessarily know he's being paid. He might view himself as needing to pay off a perceived debt to Khriss, for instance, or he might have accepted his position in order for her sharing her knowledge. (which is not precisely "payment")

If you have not read White Sands: you're not missing any huge pieces of the Cosmere puzzle.

Khriss is simply very much the kind of person that would write an Ars Arcanum on Investiture Manifestations.

I just wanted that clarified for anyone feeling like they're not getting all the pieces.