SLC Fan-Ex 1/31/15

Lindel

Starting a thread for any new WoBs from the Salt Lake Fan-Experience this weekend. If anything stood out to you, whether it was your own question or one you heard, feel free to post it here. I'll start it off with one of my own. 

Question

You've mentioned several times that traveling to Shadesmar on Sel is incredibly dangerous. Would reassembling Devotion and Dominion solve this problem? Also, what about the three individuals we know to have traveled to and from Sel? Did they use the Shadesmar anyway, or have they accessed an alternate method of worldhopping?

Answer

Yes, I suppose that could work, yes. For the second question, I'm going to have to answer that with a yes as well.

There you go. If you're add anything, make sure to include the phrasing of both the question and the answer as accurately as you can. Thanks!

Edited by Lindel

@Dent

Lindel's second question was phrased "is X true, or is Y true?" and Brandon answered it "Yes": Brandon failed to say which of the options was correct, even leaving open the possibility that both are true. The logical "or" returns true if one or both of its terms is true: thus answering "yes" to an "or" question that's pretty obviously looking for a choice between the two options is a mathematician's answer.

I went to the Comic Con FanX in Salt Lake this past weekend. Here are the questions that I asked at his panel and the signing. I didn't know if somebody was recording, so I started an account just to post this.

During the panel I asked the question:

"At the Yomen wedding, the newlyweds are talking to 'a scruffy man who looked like a beggar, dressed all in black.' Is this an appearance of Hoid?" His answer was that yes, in fact, it was. I don't know if there was a recording of that event or if that question has been asked, but I decided to let you know, just in case.

In addition, my friends and I attended his book signing at around 5:00. Just in case there was nobody recording that, I have another few questions that we asked him:

"In the flashback with Shallan meeting Hoid, Hoid pours something from a pouch into his cup and drinks it. Are these Allomantic metal shavings?" His answer was that there was something indeed significant about what Hoid placed in the cup, but that it was not necessarily Allomantic shavings. He wouldn't tell me what it specifically was and gave me a R.A.F.O. card.

"When Kelsier is teaching Vin about the basic eight Allomantic Metals, he talks about not flaring metals, especially Tin and Pewter, as it does strange things to people. Does this imply that there were other savants before Spook?" His answer was that there were other savants before Spook.

"Can aluminum be used to destroy a Feruchemist's metalmind if the person bruning aluminum were to cut his hand and place it on the metalmind." He said that cuting the hand would probably not be enough, but that I was on the right track (I assume this means that you could pierce your hand with a metalmind, or a Hemalurgic spike and destroy it with aluminum).

He R.A.F.O.ed my other question:

"So each anti-investiture is like its world's investiture, but can't be effected by it. So aluminum can't be affected and destroyes Allomancy, ralkalest can't be Soulstamped, Shardblades are blunted by that one thing. Is the black filled sphere that Galivar gives to Szeth the anti-investiture to Stormlight?" When I asked this, he became much more tight-lipped and said that was an interesting theory and that I would learn more in book three.

That last question is fantastic. Now I'm going to be thinking about anti-investiture and all of its applications, especially aluminium.

The question about an Aluminum Gnat touching metal with a bloody hand is also a good one. I've often wondered if a Gnat could cut their hand, touch a bridge, and destroy it completely when they burn their metal.

"In the flashback with Shallan meeting Hoid, Hoid pours something from a pouch into his cup and drinks it. Are these Allomantic metal shavings?" His answer was that there was something indeed significant about what Hoid placed in the cup, but that it was not necessarily Allomantic shavings. He wouldn't tell me what it specifically was and gave me a R.A.F.O. card.

Emphasis mine

Woah, so there is (maybe) going to be another magic system where tiny things need be ingested? Saying that there are multiple possibilities, when we only know of one possibility, implies that there will be more possibilities revealed in the future...

Was Hoid confirmed to be that guy in Alloy of Law or was I asking an already confirmed question?

That last question is fantastic. Now I'm going to be thinking about anti-investiture and all of its applications, especially aluminium.

The question about an Aluminum Gnat touching metal with a bloody hand is also a good one. I've often wondered if a Gnat could cut their hand, touch a bridge, and destroy it completely when they burn their metal.

Anti-investiture is my favorite thing to think about in the cosmere. There are so many things that we don't know about it and what it can do. Who made it, what happens when it is combined, and is there an anti-investiture for every magic system are all great questions. If the Shadowlight in the Black Sphere is an anti-investiture of Stormlight, then there is more than one anti-investiture on Roshar. Which means that there is also an anti-investiture for every magic system on planets like Elantris that have one for each land mass. I wonder how anti-investiture applies to something that is non-physical like an Aon. There are just so many good questions that come from anti-investiture. I can't wait to find out more about it.

Emphasis mine

Woah, so there is (maybe) going to be another magic system where tiny things need be ingested? Saying that there are multiple possibilities, when we only know of one possibility, implies that there will be more possibilities revealed in the future...

I think that it was still Allomancy, but the focus was different for Hoid... Just my theory. Wasn't there a WoB that said that Hoid was making people do what they wanted to do? Which is how Breeze describes Soothing?

Was Hoid confirmed to be that guy in Alloy of Law or was I asking an already confirmed question?

We did already know that, sorry.  (Fun fact the people getting married there are actually admins/founders of the site, Rubix and firstRainbowRose, Brandon wrote them in as a wedding present.)

I think that it was still Allomancy, but the focus was different for Hoid... Just my theory. Wasn't there a WoB that said that Hoid was making people do what they wanted to do? Which is how Breeze describes Soothing?

Though that is how Breeze describes it, let us not forget that through Brandon's Rules of the Cosmere, magic systems that do similar things tend to be nearly identical. Hence why there are three known magics that are all Lightweaving (KR version, Hoid version, AonDor version). It is very piossible there is another magic system that allows you to play with people's emotions. I don't think that WoB you are referencing means it is Allomancy for sure (though I do think it is highly likely).

Anti-investiture is my favorite thing to think about in the cosmere. There are so many things that we don't know about it and what it can do. Who made it, what happens when it is combined, and is there an anti-investiture for every magic system are all great questions. If the Shadowlight in the Black Sphere is an anti-investiture of Stormlight, then there is more than one anti-investiture on Roshar. Which means that there is also an anti-investiture for every magic system on planets like Elantris that have one for each land mass. I wonder how anti-investiture applies to something that is non-physical like an Aon. There are just so many good questions that come from anti-investiture. I can't wait to find out more about it.

Ooo! I wonder if anti-investiture stems from Adonalsium's enemy?

Emphasis mine

He could be ingesting some bacteria or spores...we do know there's a world where that happens

Ooo! I wonder if anti-investiture stems from Adonalsium's enemy?

I doubt it. Things that seem to cancel out Investiture are built into the magic systems of the worlds, especially Aluminum. With Aluminum, it's one of the sixteen Allomantic metals, and Allomancy is a product of Shardic Investiture on Scadrial, which originated with Adonalsium. 

Though that is how Breeze describes it, let us not forget that through Brandon's Rules of the Cosmere, magic systems that do similar things tend to be nearly identical. Hence why there are three known magics that are all Lightweaving (KR version, Hoid version, AonDor version). It is very piossible there is another magic system that allows you to play with people's emotions. I don't think that WoB you are referencing means it is Allomancy for sure (though I do think it is highly likely).

But a Magic System that uses such a similar method for accessing the focus, and also has extremely similar effects? I'm not sure. With the different forms of Lightweaving, they all seem to be very similar sets of abilities, but with very different focuses. Surgebinder Lightweaving uses a Spren focus, and is fueled by Stormlight, AonDor uses Aons as a focus and is fueled by the Dor. 

That reminds me. Do we have a WoB on whether Hoid's Feruchemy uses metals or some other focus? I assumed it just normal Scadrian Feruchemy, but I recently came across something that seemed to indicate he might not even be using metalminds at all. 

But a Magic System that uses such a similar method for accessing the focus, and also has extremely similar effects? I'm not sure. With the different forms of Lightweaving, they all seem to be very similar sets of abilities, but with very different focuses. Surgebinder Lightweaving uses a Spren focus, and is fueled by Stormlight, AonDor uses Aons as a focus and is fueled by the Dor. 

First off, we do not know for sure what the focus of Rosharan magic is. I am personally in Moogle's camp in thinking that it's the bonds between things (such as KR and spren). As for the Lightweaving not being similar, though we know this is specific to Shallan, Shallan has to draw to get her illusions to work, and in AonDor you have to draw the Aons. That is a limited case though, given it is specific to Shallan. However, we do not know how Hoid's Lightweaving works. It might be very similar to either of those two. As for other systems being similar, Awakening and infusing objects with Stormlight (such as lashings) are incredibly similar, though the outcomes are different, and, as someone else above noted, we do know of a world in which bacteria/illness grants powers. He could have intentionally added bacteria to his drink to gain powers. We just don't know.

As I said though, I still think it's most likely Allomancy, but Brandon's answer does open other possibilities, and implies that there will be other plausible answers.

That reminds me. Do we have a WoB on whether Hoid's Feruchemy uses metals or some other focus? I assumed it just normal Scadrian Feruchemy, but I recently came across something that seemed to indicate he might not even be using metalminds at all. 

Brandon has flat out said Hoid uses Feruchemy. If it were some other form of magic system, Brandon would not have named Feruchemy, but would have been more sly about his answer.

source

Mike Cockrum

Hoid is regularly around when important events take place. How does he know where to go?
Brandon Sanderson
He uses Feruchemy. Part of it that will show up in later books.

Anti-Investiture is my own term for those things in each magic system that block it from being used. Things like aluminum in Mistborn. It destroys all metals that an aluminum burner has. In Alloy of Law it can also stop Soothing and Rioting if someone has an aluminum-lined hat and cannot be affected by Iron or Steel.

Anti-Investiture is my own term for those things in each magic system that block it from being used. Things like aluminum in Mistborn. It destroys all metals that an aluminum burner has. In Alloy of Law it can also stop Soothing and Rioting if someone has an aluminum-lined hat and cannot be affected by Iron or Steel.

/adjusts aluminum-foil hat

Edited by vineyarddawg

Elantris Spoilers in Anti-Investiture

For Anti-Investiture for Sel- It seems like the Dakhor have figured out an anti-investiture for AonDor.  After all, Dilaf dismissed the Aons of Raoden pretty successfully. 

I would disagree.

I think that the Aon-shattering is simply the use of Investiture to block investiture. He said it took, uh, fifty monks' lives to give him that much power, which is probably much more substantial than a single Aon.

By the way, do we really need to mark Elantris spoilers anymore?

Edited by Curiosity