Fabrial Mechs

blad3mast3r

So,

We know that fabrials can be created that......

- increase strength

- create heat/cold

- simulate all ten surges

- link objects 

And alot of other stuff.

So-

What if you could create a suit of Fabrial-armor (kinda like shardplate) that would not only make you stronger and protect you and stuff, but also shoot heat rays, or othe rstuff? or was HUGE?

Titanfall is coming to Roshar.

That's the thing about fabrial science... in theory, anything is possible. There's no reason there can't be something similar to a spanreed that detects how your own hand moves, and uses up a LOT of stormlight to make the huge mech around you mimic your actions. Or even if not that, then controls and dials in the pilot's seat controlling the fabrials that do move the limbs around. And activate the heat rays.

That's the thing about fabrial science... in theory, anything is possible. There's no reason there can't be something similar to a spanreed that detects how your own hand moves, and uses up a LOT of stormlight to make the huge mech around you mimic your actions. Or even if not that, then controls and dials in the pilot's seat controlling the fabrials that do move the limbs around. And activate the heat rays.

This is more what I was thinking.

Also: with lightweaving fabrials, you could put a cloaking device on your Mech.

FIRE BREATHING ROBOT DINOSAURS THAT BREATH SHOOT LASERS AND MISSILES!!!!!

Sorry for my over-enthusiasm.  I'm a die-hard transformers fan, and between Bayformers 4 Age of Extinction and Dark Spark, 2014 was a terrible year for me.  Absolutely horrible.

Seriously, AOE made me cry because of how bad it was.

How much stormlight and gems would you even need for a Shardformer?!?

Even Iron Man would be expensive to make. Granted if they could make it Windrun it'd be awesome. We ought to shove a Mistborn in one of these.

But yeah, Age of Extinction was just weird. Good explosions, but that's it.

Well if the suit of armour was much larger than the person inside of it they wouldn't be able to move it, so no giant mechs anytime soon. 

Yeah, the largest problem here really is that even with a Spanreed of kinds you still need to exert the same amount of force, to move the corresponding part. and whatever kind of control Spanreed you manage to create would need to stay the same distance away, once activated, so you can´t be very mobile, should you find a way to control them from a distance. Unless people invent some kind of body augment first they won´t get a proper mech to move.

The Mech also would need to be the pilot´s exact size, otherwise the movements wouldn´t be in proportion and incredibly clumsy. Which means tailor made and that isn´t very effective for proper warfare.

So yeah, Fabrials would need some completely revolutionary breakthroughs for this to work.

Edited by Edgedancer

Yeah, the largest problem here really is that even with a Spanreed of kinds you still need to exert the same amount of force, to move the corresponding part. and whatever kind of control Spanreed you manage to create would need to stay the same distance away, once activated, so you can´t be very mobile, should you find a way to control them from a distance. Unless people invent some kind of body augment first they won´t get a proper mech to move.

The Mech also would need to be the pilot´s exact size, otherwise the movements wouldn´t be in proportion and incredibly clumsy. Which means tailor made and that isn´t very effective for proper warfare.

So yeah, Fabrials would need some completely revolutionary breakthroughs for this to work.

Based on what we've seen of fabrials so far, I don't think it is outside of the realm of possibility for them to invent some arrangement/combination of gems that allows a spanreed-like effect, but with proportional instead of equal movement.  I don't think we've seen anything do that yet, but I bet it would be possible.  And as far as the force needed, you just throw in a bunch of amplifier type fabrials as part of the design to boost the forces applied or something, which should let you increase the size of the thing.  Of course at this point there is the very real problem that this mech could probably take like 5 steps before one of the dozens of gems cracks or runs out of stormlight

as far as ranged weapon: presumably there should be a way to make a fabrial that copies the lightning blasts the listenrs were using in WoR

• Chaos locked this topic