Making of a mistcloak!!!!

Robinbanks1989

Ok, we all know that Halloween is coming up quick and my dream is to be Vin. Of course a must have to my costume will be my mist cloak. I'm not at all experienced with a sewing machine so I'm having my older sister help me. Unfortunately, she is more of a dystopian style reader so she hasn't read Mistborn. I've shown her pictures of others mistcloaks, but I want mine to be original. I don't want to copy someone else's exact design and have a replica of anothers creation. I've seen a few cloaks that they have simply used ribbons for the strips of cloth. I was thinking of using silk since it will have lots of free movement, but I fear it will fray. Help?

']

He pulled open the pack, then whipped out a dark grey cloak. Large and enveloping, the cloak wasn't constructed from a single piece of cloth -- rather, it was made up of hundreds of long, ribbonlike strips. They were sewn together at the shoulders and across the chest, but mostly they hung separate from one another, like overlapping streamers.

Also noted that spinning flares the cloak, so it needs to be a decently weighty cloth.

No hood was referenced in the chapter.

']

... a small cloth bundle .... The cloth was slick and soft in Vin's fingers, and she quickly realized what it was. ....

She paused, then threw the cloak over her shoulders and tied it on. It felt ... different. Thick and heavy on her shoulders, but light and unconstraining around her arms and legs. The ribbons were sewn together at the top, allowing her to pull it tight by the mantle if she wished.

In chapter 8, Kelsier observes Vin huddling in her mistcloak, puling it close to shroud herself, yet there is still no mention of a hood.

Mist cloaks appear to be hoodless.

I've been of the mind (and haven't been contradicted... yet) that there's no "one cut" for a mistcloak. There's a lot of range across the Dominances, and there's plenty of room for variables in mistcloak design, so long as you stick to the text, as noted above. That means hundreds of long, layered ribbons of fabric hanging from a cloak mantle. Beyond that is a lot of room to play.

Hoods or no hoods, either works. I've done a couple designs with double-mantles to add extra layers to the ribbons. The ribbons can be any number of widths, or even mix up the widths (I suggest being careful about going too thin or you get something close to pom-poms or fringe). I like to keep 'em 1.5-2 inches wide, and then layer 'em at least 2 or 3 rows deep, overlapping the layers.

Personally, I'd like to see a cloak made out of heavier cloth than I usually see. Leather, or satin maybe. Of course, that would be prohibitively expensive (not to mention hot). I also like any swirling pattern you can get into it. I like hoods, but I don't put 'em on all cloaks (Kelsier's, for instance, is hoodless).

Point being, it's hard to be wrong in your design so long as you stick to the text. If someone says yours doesn't look like the one they imagined, tell 'em it's a Southern Dominance cut. :D

Edited by Inkthinker

I think Brandon said felt was the closest to a mistcloak but other than that I can't help at all sorry. :(

I think your sentence missed a beat. Felt what was closest?

Sam Weber's cover to the e-book is the best one I've seen (other than mine of course ;) ). I really like the way he did the neck.

05078a888cabd4302802a4db0aeeb9ef.jpg

Edited by Inkthinker

I especially like the way the cloak wraps round the picture and comes up from the bottom! :D

Just spitballing here but an interesting approach might be to buy an actual cloak, cut that into strips (up to where you tie it around your neck of course) and then add more strips of a similar looking material to it. If it was a cloak in the first place, it would probably have the required weight to it to make it flare. Dunno how expensive cloaks are though.

I think your sentence missed a beat. Felt what was closest?

'Felt' as in the type of cloth, not the past tense of feel. :)

As for hoods, page 28 of Well of Ascension: "Elend watched her small form, clothed in black trousers and a man's buttoning shirt, mistcloak tassels trailing behind her. She wore the cloak's hood down, as usual, and she stepped with a supple grace -- the unconscious elegance of a person burning pewter." Hers at least has a hood, probably why the neck is so deep in that picture.

Edited by Eric

Yeah, there's a few references to the tassels here and there. I assumed they were just at the ends of the strips to add weight, meaning you could use a somewhat lighter fabric if you wanted to. You're quite welcome. :)

I actually took "tassel" to mean the strips themselves, as an alternate term. A tassel being defined as "a bunch of loose threads or cords bound at one and and hanging free at the other", it could be taken to refer to the way the strips are bound at the mantle and hang free.

At any rate, I've never seen anyone put tassels at the end of the strips, but again... no reason not to!

'Felt' as in the type of cloth, not the past tense of feel. :)

As for hoods, page 28 of Well of Ascension: "Elend watched her small form, clothed in black trousers and a man's buttoning shirt, mistcloak tassels trailing behind her. She wore the cloak's hood down, as usual, and she stepped with a supple grace -- the unconscious elegance of a person burning pewter." Hers at least has a hood, probably why the neck is so deep in that picture.

Ahhhh, sweet vindication. :D

As for felt, isn't that usually wool or cotton?

-EDIT-

Nope, "felt" refers to "a nonwoven fabric of wool, fur, or hair, matted together by heat, moisture, and great pressure."

Though what he was probably thinking of was the sort of stuff you can buy in a fabric store, which is usually (I think) wool or cotton.

Also... eeeewwww, hair/fur mistcloak. Ew.

Edited by Inkthinker

Ok, now that makes sense as well. I want it to look authentic as possible but like I said I'm not experienced at all with a sewing machine so I'm also all about easy!!! I've been showing my sister some sketches I've been playing around with. It's not going to be easy but I'm sure it will be epic!

Hahaha hair/fur mistcloak....now THAT'S a new one!!!! Eeew

Edited by Robinbanks1989
Combining Double Post

I've been of the mind (and haven't been contradicted... yet) that there's no "one cut" for a mistcloak. There's a lot of range across the Dominances, and there's plenty of room for variables in mistcloak design, so long as you stick to the text, as noted above. That means hundreds of long, layered ribbons of fabric hanging from a cloak mantle. Beyond that is a lot of room to play.

(Kelsier's, for instance, is hoodless).

Point being, it's hard to be wrong in your design so long as you stick to the text. If someone says yours doesn't look like the one they imagined, tell 'em it's a Southern Dominance cut. :D

I actually had a thought in reading this about the structure of Mistcloaks. That the pattern/material/etc might definitively indicate training lineage and/or origin, like military uniforms for one example.

Edited by Voldy

Per Brandon (and part of what I used to make mine)

A mistcloak would be hard to get right. I've seen several people try, and they never quite feel right to me. Maybe they are one of those things that work in my imagination, but might not work in the real world.

What I would be looking for is something enveloping, something grand, yet also much more light-weight than most of the ones that people have made. I know that Vin describes hers as heavy, but that's all relative.

But here's my best answer to your questions:

Colors: All the same shade of dark, charcoal gray.

How wide are the strips: Between a half an inch and an inch wide.

Material: Cotton, perhaps. Lighter than canvas or wool, for certain. However, I do imagine each tassel being sewn individually, perhaps with a thicker back and an inside that is of something softer and lightweight.

Are all the tassels the same length: No, but close. Within an inch or two of one another.

Do they drag: No. They're cut so that they obscure the feet, but don't drag.

How many layers of tassels: 1 and a half.

The real trick, I think, to making one work would be to, in my opinion, make a cloak which looks cool on its own. Then, slit the bottom 2/3rds up to about the rib-cage area. Sew these into tassels, then sew some more tassels to the inside. Then, perhaps work with the shoulders/inner layers to make the cloak fall down so that it looks enveloping and the sides can fall straight.

Does that help?

Best,

Brandon

(Found here: http://twg.17thshard...27193#msg127193)

I can tell you about how I made mine, but I don't know if it will help much.

Wow, thank you so very much! The information that you've provided for me is deeply appreciated. I've recently visited the fabric store and stocked up on the materials I'm planning to use. I did end up going with cotton simply because I thought it would be the easiest to work with. I initially wanted to use silk but the kind lady that owned the shop informed me I would have my work cut out for me if i didn't want it to fray. I'm goog to be spending a lot of time on it so it may look authentic as possible :)

I've decided that my mistcloak will have an oversized hood as well. I really like the look :)

Personally my opinion on hoods is based on earth where hood=cloak and no hood=cape. Brandon might think differently, but that's my opinion.

I always rolled with the idea that a cape stays behind the shoulders, a cloak comes all the way 'round to the front.

I've been working on my own mistcloak as well, using Inkthinker's designs for inspiration mostly. (The Noble Mistborn in particular) I think I've decided to go with single mantle and a high collar instead of a hood, personally because I don't really like hoods very much and I feel like it would fly backward with the first steeljump you made. In case anyone's wondering though, Kell's mistcloak does have a hood in book 1. It's back when he and Vin are sparring for the first time.

The Final Empire - Chapter 9

"Kelsier put down his hood and held her knives toward her."

So, hood or no hood, it's up to you.