Having Surgery - Need Entertainment

Smye

Hello fellow sharders,

After being clinically obese since I was 2 years old, dozens of medically-supervised weight-loss attempts, and cortisol levels off the charts preventing me from being successful, I'm finally going in for bariatric surgery (VSG for those in the know) on Feb 12. 

That said, I'm going to be laid up for a while recovering before I can return to work, tooling around the yard, or hiking. As one Sanderfan who's read all of his works several times over to the rest of you, any suggestions for other books or movies I might enjoy while still on large doses of painkillers?

Edited by Smye

There was a thread in the Entertainment subforum, I think, about TV show recommendations, it's bound to have great ideas. Lots and lots of them.

Here's this one I started. A lot of quality suggestions came from yonder.

If you're into science fiction, there are a lot of great books named on this thread too.

Good luck with the surgery! :)

The All the Wrong Questions series by Lemony Snicket are quick reads, but they're fun ones. I'd say the same for his Unauthorized Autobiography. If you don't mind having your heart torn out, broken, healed, and put back into your chest (metaphorically speaking), try The Tale of Despereaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, both by Kate DiCamillo. Her Flora and Ulysses is a lighter, but just as thoughtful, offering. 

For TV shows, Terra Nova is an excellent series that ended too soon. For humor, I'd recommend Worst Cooks in America, and for drama, you can't do better than Downton Abby. 

Hey if you're looking for TV shows you don't need to think about, I'd suggest Parks and Rec.

Or if you want to start a new thing, Stargate. The movie, and then the tv show.They're both great.

Also since you'll be hyped up on drugs, I'd try to read something that doesn't require much thought: The Inheritance Cycle. Imagine LotR, but with Rand 'al Thor as the main character. It requires no thought, and waas written by a 15 year old. Good fun

If you're interested in Star Wars EU I would suggest Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn, that is a good place to start.

As for the show, I would say psych.

Edited by Redbird3000

• Chaos locked this topic