Duralumin Ferrings

Creecher

Just a thought, but in most forum threads I've seen, the Feruchemical effect for Duralumin has been seen as one of the least useful, most polls leaving it untouched. But when filling Duraluminminds, other peoples' awareness of the Feruchemist is reduced. The usefulness of this would depend on whether or not Feruchemy can be flared in its charging, or if its' at a set drain.

As an example, what if you want to head through a door being watched by someone else? Start flare-filling a Duraluminmind and just walk past. Duralumin seems like the only metal that could be as useful, if not more, when being filled as when being used.

EDIT: If you were to empty the Duraluminmind after filling it to go unnoticed in front of someone else, would that someone else remember having seen you when, while you were flare-filling Duralumin, their eyes just glanced over?

Edited by TenzinKendrick

It is in the books that the rate of filling can fluctuate, and that the Feruchemist has control over it. There is, though, a maximum to the rate. For example, to store speed, you can only slow yourself so much before the rate flatlines. When tapping, though, there is no maximum.

It is in the books that the rate of filling can fluctuate, and that the Feruchemist has control over it. There is, though, a maximum to the rate. For example, to store speed, you can only slow yourself so much before the rate flatlines. When tapping, though, there is no maximum.

By that logic, there would still need to be some awareness of presence left in the Feruchemist to store, so Duralumin can't provide perfect invisibility. Thanks, and for the information an upvote

By that logic, there would still need to be some awareness of presence left in the Feruchemist to store, so Duralumin can't provide perfect invisibility. Thanks, and for the information an upvote

To add, I don't think Duralumin is actual prescence, but spiritual prescence. According to the Coppermind, it does this. So I think your notion of what duralumin does was incorrect anyways. Though I guess the use of the term "awareness" leaves things up to debate.

Keep in mind the lessons we've learned from Breeze and Tindwyl. Emotions aren't mind control (except for Koloss, I guess). If a guard is watching a door and told, "make note of anyone entering" and you enter while filling your duraluminmind, he might not feel a very spiritual or emotional connection to you, he might not care very much that you're walking through the door, but it will still be his job to mark down that you entered, however bored it makes him.

Also, I am the biggest proponent of the usefulness of duralumin. I play a Connector in a Mistborn RPG.

To add, I don't think Duralumin is actual prescence, but spiritual prescence. According to the Coppermind, it does this. So I think your notion of what duralumin does was incorrect anyways. Though I guess the use of the term "awareness" leaves things up to debate.

Thanks; I just checked the page for Duralumin, rather than its smaller segment on the Feruchemy page, and found the following -

While filling a duraluminmind, other people's awareness and friendship of the Feruchemist will be reduced. Tapping the metalmind will allow the user to form trust relationships with others much faster

- No longer quoting wiki here - Directly states that other peoples' awareness is what is affected, and tapping the metalmind allows the Feruchemist to form trust relationships faster. I guess it isn't a definite implication, but to me that implies spiritual presence is how aware others are of your presence.

EDIT: Good point, Oudeis. Your reply came in as I was typing this.

On to the pointlessness of internet arguments, this will probably devolve into full capslock screaming at our monitors until one of us drops dead of starvation and the other gloats in victory.

Also, I am the biggest proponent of the usefulness of duralumin. I play a Connector in a Mistborn RPG.

Oh heck yeah, duralumin would be great in an RPG. Meet a new NPC? Have the following conversation:

"Hey, how ya doing?"

NPC: I'm just swell. Yourself?

"Not too shabby. The weather is nice today right?"

NPC: I suppose so.

and BAM! Instant BFF. Totes useful.

Edit: All joking aside, it really is useful. It also helps the RPG move faster, so long as you're the one with all the diplomacy (or whatever skill it would be given the various RPGs).

Edited by Blaze1616

I suspect that something similar to what you're suggesting is possible. Rather than practical invisibility, it seems like a Connector could make themselves seem "ordinary" to an onlooker. For example if someone has been given a description of you and is keeping an eye out for you, it might reduce the chances of them recognising you. Or if it can't do that, then you could perhaps use a little misdirection to help it along - presented with two things happening at the same time a person will usually find their attention drawn to the more interesting.

Actually if you had a pair of Connectors you could have fun manipulating attention. One person taps their reserve and the other fills it and they could probably slip past just about anyone.

A couple of things to note quickly, Duralumin works both ways, I think there was some form of canon whether direct WoB or something from the MAG I don't remember I'll try to dig it up. But the point is that if you completely fill it, people might not notice you very much but you'd also have absolutely no connection to that person, they might as well be a door as far as you're concerned, so rather than sneaking past a guard you'd be more likely to just stab them to get past.
Similarly when tapping it you become just as fond of the other person as they would of you which makes forming friendships purely for manipulation difficult.

On this:

I believe this is due to the body's limits, not Feruchemical limits. If you store too much speed you'll die from to little oxygen, too much strength and your body would crush itself, too much health and you'd just die. Sazed can store all his weight just fine for example. I think Connection would be able to be completely stored.

I believe this is due to the body's limits, not Feruchemical limits. If you store too much speed you'll die from to little oxygen, too much strength and your body would crush itself, too much health and you'd just die. Sazed can store all his weight just fine for example. I think Connection would be able to be completely stored.

However the rate at which Sazed can fill his ironmind is still capped because he only weighs so much. That is what I meant. The rate at which you could store connection is capped, because you only have so much connection to give.

I recently read a book called "the schwa was here" in which the main character meets Calvin "the schwa" Schwa who has the unique condition of being "observationally impaired" which results most people ignoring him, much in the same way you would ignore empty space and they start to experiment with "the schwa affect" where not only do four out of five people fail to notice him, but if they do notice him they forget about him soon after. I think that storing connection would cause a similar affect. so a connector ferring could go from being nearly invisible to making friends left and right.

so maybe only one in say a hundred will be observant enough to notice them.

A couple of things to note quickly, Duralumin works both ways, I think there was some form of canon whether direct WoB or something from the MAG I don't remember I'll try to dig it up. But the point is that if you completely fill it, people might not notice you very much but you'd also have absolutely no connection to that person, they might as well be a door as far as you're concerned, so rather than sneaking past a guard you'd be more likely to just stab them to get past.
Similarly when tapping it you become just as fond of the other person as they would of you which makes forming friendships purely for manipulation difficult.

That would sound good, if it were not for that fact that I remember in the alloy of law supplement for the MAG one of the sample characters is a connector ferring who uses his feruchemy to scam people and he would not be willing to do so if tapping connection also makes you fond of the other person.

Edited by WeiryWriter
please don't double/triple post, in this case use the multi-quote function

I'm not certain (without anyone really providing links or anything to their sources) which way Duralumin works, but if it works mutually, as Voidus said, that makes it far more likely that it would be useful mostly to people who have very pure intentions or to people who lack a conscience. The former would make friends all over the place if they chose to and the latter would have no issues cheating or killing a friend. Of course, the thing about Feruchemy is that while it's technically end-neutral, it does allow the Feruchemist (or Ferring) to store indefinitely whereas tapping requires having stored previously, so overall Duralumin would be more useful to someone who is rather an outcast and enjoys/needs to be unobtrusive.

Also, Redsword, don't double- (or triple-, in this case) post. It confuses threads.

I'd just like to point out that Duralumin Feruchemy is not exclusively about people's awareness. Brandon has said that you could use duralumin to change your spiritual connection to a Shardworld:

Q: I’m not sure if it was duralumin or something but the Feruchemical ability to store connection, is that how Hoid worldhops? It stores Connection to another world?[/size]
B: It’s a good question, it doesn’t have anything to do with worldhopping *but* what it does do is once you have worldhopped you can change your Connection to which planet you are on, which helps you with magic systems.[/size]

I wouldn't be surprised if there are other types of "Connections" you could store. For example, if duralumin could store connections to Splinters like Seons and spren, then worldhopping Connectors could become pretty powerful indeed.

Edited by skaa

I'd just like to point out that Duralumin Feruchemy is not exclusively about people's awareness. Brandon has said that you could use duralumin to change your spiritual connection to a Shardworld:

I wouldn't be surprised if there are other types of "Connections" you could store. For example, if duralumin could store connections to Splinters like Seons and spren, then worldhopping Connectors could become pretty powerful indeed.

Huh. Hop to Roshar, and store make a huge connection with the Stormfather, say, to become a bondsmith. or to the world from sixth of the dusk, and connect with some aviar.

• Chaos locked this topic