Legion

Yados

My copy shipped last night, apparently, and is due to be delivered today.

This is a nice thing to wake up to since, as late as last night, it was scheduled to be delivered September 5th.

I have no knowledge or opinions about this book and don't know if anyone else has knowledge or opinions. So I'll report back when I have those things.

It's the "deluxe hardcover" edition.

I suppose it's not that small. It's about the size of a standard trade paperback. That it's a hardcover and so slim might make it seem shorter as well.

I hope that didn't read like I was catastrophizing. I just wasn't expecting those dimensions.

Here it is, pictured with a standard trade paperback and a quarter for scale.

Book_Size.png

Oh that was quite good!

The length was the most interesting thing for me, I think. It was a fast paced and engaging story and only took an hour to read.

Thus, it had the distinct and strange feel of sitting down and reading the hour-long pilot of a new television show. That the book was so open ended only augmented that.

I'd like to see more of this; both world and format.

This is no coincidence.

Well I hope that means there are more "episodes" planned for production. It occurred to me as I was reading that an episodic series in this format is something that ebooks would be very well suited for. You wouldn't have to worry about keeping everything in print... Which might be a problem at an indie like Subterranean.

I'm glad the feel was intentional because it was very effective.

Honestly, I don't know if Brandon has current plans for more "episodes." But he did write it in large part in order to sell television rights, and Lionsgate optioned it. Whether they go through with their option is still up in the air. I think it would make a great TV series. I could easily picture it on the USA network, for instance.

Just finished it, less than an hour after it arrived. Loved it. Fast-paced and fascinating concept. I hope it does get picked up for television or some kind of media, or at the very least that Brandon a few sequels.

Also, Tobias is totally Morgan Freeman.

I bought a copy here at dragoncon and got it signed, and I've read it already, which is not normally something I do at cons so that should give some idea about how I liked it and also its length.

It felt to me a lot like the shorter sf that used to come out in magazines--a bit like the plot existed as a means to explore a cool concept, but that's not a bad thing since the concept was indeed cool.

The characterization was really interesting and I would like to discuss it more but I don't want to get into too many spoilers just yet.

Does anyone have a picture difference between the Limited Edition and the regular trade? I'm just curious because I ordered and then received my Limited Edition and from everything I've seen, it looks the same as the Trade edition, just with the page insert with the signature and the number. Can anyone clarify the differences? Maybe I'm just not seeing them but I just wanted to be sure since this is my first purchase from Subterranean.

Does anyone have a picture difference between the Limited Edition and the regular trade? I'm just curious because I ordered and then received my Limited Edition and from everything I've seen, it looks the same as the Trade edition, just with the page insert with the signature and the number. Can anyone clarify the differences? Maybe I'm just not seeing them but I just wanted to be sure since this is my first purchase from Subterranean.

The limited edition is leather-bound as well.

On a more theoretical note, does it seem to anybody else that Stephen's abilities are a lot like the Kkell of Skill?

Brandon said that the big problem with that system was that it had too few limits. Well, Legion takes the same basic idea (learning skills a lot faster than should be possible) and gives it some limitations.

Also, do you think that Razon's time-camera uses the same spiritual grounding as bendalloy-bubbles?