What makes prof so powerful?

High prince of geeks

In firefight it is hinted that there is a reason some people get powers, and profs seam to be super strong. I mean able to hold back an explosion that took out entire city's. And an unknown portion of his power was able regenerate half of David's body being disintegrated. My personal thought, Prof Tia Lincoln and Regalia were able to contact Calamity using N.A.S.A. stuff or whatever he granted them all, except Tia for some reason, massive powers. Think about it beside dawnslight prof and Regalia are the two strongest epics we've seen. Each with massive amounts of power.

It's still interesting the Prof has two High-Epic defense powers, something that might actually be unique to him. The "How would you kill Prof" thread is also going to have to reassess itself since Prof's shields can apparently be used for instant kills and limited telekinetic abilities, as well as flight. His portfolio of powers is amazing, so calling him "Just another powerful Epic" is selling him a little short.

Well, you forget that Steelheart was super powerful as well. It's not that Prof is super powerful for any specific reason, it's just that he is super powerful. Some could argue that Regalia wasn't even close to as powerful as Obliteration until after her enhancements.

This is true.  Remember, Steelheart had the power to turn an entire city the size of Chicago into pure steel. That ain't nothin'.   :)

And I don't think Regalia is actually all that powerful.  She can manipulate water.  That's it.  (She doesn't even have a "prime invincibility," as David would call it.)  So she sets up shop in a city that's on the water, does some water manipulation, and bingo, she's in power. The range of her powers is impressive, but I certainly don't think she's on the same level as Prof or Steelheart.

Still, though, Prof's forcefields are incredibly powerful, that's for sure, as is his regeneration ability.

Edited by vineyarddawg

One idea I had - what if Prof is a double Epic?  If he had two great fears, so Calamity made him an Epic twice?  There are some problems with the theory (he just happened to be a gifter both times?  Wouldn't that make him doubly prone to corruption?), but it would explain why Prof is so powerful, and would make for a nice plot twist.  "Hooray!  We've successfully shut off your powers - wait, why are you still healing?"

Regalia is powerful, extremely so.. She just doesn't have defensive powers. She is able to move thousands of tons of water and keep it there all day everyday while still using her other powers a good amount. Stealheart may have transformed a city as well, but he didn't have to do it constatnly

In firefight it is hinted that there is a reason some people get powers, and profs seam to be super strong. I mean able to hold back an explosion that took out entire city's. And an unknown portion of his power was able regenerate half of David's body being disintegrated. My personal thought, Prof Tia Lincoln and Regalia were able to contact Calamity using N.A.S.A. stuff or whatever he granted them all, except Tia for some reason, massive powers. Think about it beside dawnslight prof and Regalia are the two strongest epics we've seen. Each with massive amounts of power.

what if TIa is an epic...but cola is somehow her weakness? She forces it on herself to keep her in control. (this book talks WAY too much about her cola addiction without it being something. 

Regalia is powerful, extremely so.. She just doesn't have defensive powers. She is able to move thousands of tons of water and keep it there all day everyday while still using her other powers a good amount. Stealheart may have transformed a city as well, but he didn't have to do it constatnly

And her scrying and projection abilities grant her similar protections to a PI, it's just that in addition to her immortal watery body she has a weaker body hidden away.

After reading firefight and seeing exactly how powerful Prof is, I personally vote for a rematch between him and Steelheart. In the original battle, Prof had to worry about not using his powers too much, limiting his potential. He ignored his most useful weapon: his forcefields. Even if Steelheart was impossibe to crush, and we no that Prof shield can undergo enough preassure to withstand what was basicly a nuclear bomb, his ability is referenced as impenetrable skin. So would Prof simply be able to make a forcefield inside of Steelheart, then expand it? Also, would steelheart even be able to hurt him? Even if his lazers were able to penetrate his shield, which I doubt, he could just heal. So, who would win a rematch between Steelheart and High Epic Prof?

what if TIa is an epic...but cola is somehow her weakness? She forces it on herself to keep her in control. (this book talks WAY too much about her cola addiction without it being something. 

The problem with this is that your weakness is something that you're afraid of.  For Tia to be constantly drinking cola, she must of have overcome her fear of it - which would make her a good Epic.

Actually, it'd be kind of funny if it turned out that Tia's been a good Epic for all of these years, but they never knew because Tia was constantly suppressing her powers.

But I think that if Tia was afraid of cola and it turned out to be her weakness, then she would have figured out how weaknesses worked a long time ago.

The problem with this is that your weakness is something that you're afraid of.  For Tia to be constantly drinking cola, she must of have overcome her fear of it - which would make her a good Epic.

Actually, it'd be kind of funny if it turned out that Tia's been a good Epic for all of these years, but they never knew because Tia was constantly suppressing her powers.

But I think that if Tia was afraid of cola and it turned out to be her weakness, then she would have figured out how weaknesses worked a long time ago.

She could have a fear of obesity or diabetes or something along those lines, and cola is a manifestation of that fear.

She could have a fear of obesity or diabetes or something along those lines, and cola is a manifestation of that fear.

Wouldn't drinking it constantly lead her to overcome that fear, though? If cola is really the manifestation of an entire slew of fears that contribute to a fear of gaining weight, drinking it constantly would lead her to overcome that in some way.

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

YES THIS PLEASE.

As for David's survival after getting part disintegrated - I reread the scene and I'm pretty sure that Megan grabbed a dimensional alternative to David. The wording strongly implies this.

expanding on this. Some of the only times the cola is mentioned is when Tia is in a bad mood. perhaps if they new profs weekness they would keep it in supply as well

Yes and No...could be that she just feels "more herself" or "more under control" with soda inside of herself...i don't know...i don't really trust Tia right now and the group she works for and all their secret information. I swear that crew has more to do with this than they have let on.

I mean...being fair...Her and Prof have known calamity was an Epic for ages but never told david or anyone else...what other useful info have they been controlling?

Up vote for an excellent point! I didn't consider the group of super secret genius Epic experts. Suppose they are simply people who have been compelling data. They would be responsible for deaths that could have been prevented by information they had if they knew about them. Suppose they are pulling some invisible strings. They would be responsible more directly for the deaths of thousands, millions of people. I don't like them. At all. Not only are they super frustrating because of their secrecy, they are suspicious because of it.

Yes and No...could be that she just feels "more herself" or "more under control" with soda inside of herself...i don't know...i don't really trust Tia right now and the group she works for and all their secret information. I swear that crew has more to do with this than they have let on.

I mean...being fair...Her and Prof have known calamity was an Epic for ages but never told david or anyone else...what other useful info have they been controlling?

Up vote for an excellent point! I didn't consider the group of super secret genius Epic experts. Suppose they are simply people who have been compelling data. They would be responsible for deaths that could have been prevented by information they had if they knew about them. Suppose they are pulling some invisible strings. They would be responsible more directly for the deaths of thousands, millions of people. I don't like them. At all. Not only are they super frustrating because of their secrecy, they are suspicious because of it.

Firefight was where I began to trust Tia less and less. Calamity will prove how misplaced those feelings were, but for now, it seems highly suspicious that she knew as much as she did and didn't let on. Here's just a sampling of the things Tia did know and didn't bother sharing with most of the Reckoners: 

• That Prof was an Epic 
  • The extent of Regalia's powers 
  • Prof and Regalia's early history as Epics 

And there are other things she may have known as well: 

• That Calamity was humanoid 
  • How Epics receive their powers 
  • Motivators 
  • Rendings 
  • That Prof was planning to kill Megan 

The second list is highly prone to inaccuracy, so if there's anything that contradicts what I put on it, feel free to correct me. My point is, though: Tia obviously knows more than she's letting on. And I get why they kept the Prof thing a secret—Prof said it himself early on; they have to let people think ordinary people are behind the assassinations. But why all the secrets? And how many more is she keeping? 

Firefight was where I began to trust Tia less and less. Calamity will prove how misplaced those feelings were, but for now, it seems highly suspicious that she knew as much as she did and didn't let on. Here's just a sampling of the things Tia did know and didn't bother sharing with most of the Reckoners: 

• That Prof was an Epic 
  • The extent of Regalia's powers 
  • Prof and Regalia's early history as Epics 

And there are other things she may have known as well: 

• That Calamity was humanoid 
  • How Epics receive their powers 
  • Motivators 
  • Rendings 
  • That Prof was planning to kill Megan 

The second list is highly prone to inaccuracy, so if there's anything that contradicts what I put on it, feel free to correct me. My point is, though: Tia obviously knows more than she's letting on. And I get why they kept the Prof thing a secret—Prof said it himself early on; they have to let people think ordinary people are behind the assassinations. But why all the secrets? And how many more is she keeping? 

At this point, I wouldn't even be surprised if Tia and Prof were responsible for the Kennedy assassination. <_<  Those two kept some serious secrets from the other Reckoners. And while I get that some level of secrecy is required in a secret society, the secrets they keep have actively endangered the lives of other Reckoners. The claim that Prof's gifts were technology would have resulted in Megan's death had she not been an Epic herself, and if they had come clean about Prof and Regalia's early association, the Reckoners might have pieced together Regalia's master plan before it was too late.

In Calamity I'm hoping that Tia will finally start answering some direct questions, because at this point, David and the other Reckoners deserve it.

Edited by Kobold King

At this point, I wouldn't even be surprised if Tia and Prof were responsible for the Kennedy assassination. <_< Those two kept some serious secrets from the other Reckoners. And while I get that some level of secrecy is required in a secret society, the secrets they keep have actively endangered the lives of other Reckoners. The claim that Prof's gifts were technology would have resulted in Megan's death had she not been an Epic herself, and if they had come clean about Prof and Regalia's early association, the Reckoners might have pieced together Regalia's master plan before it was too late.

In Calamity I'm hoping that Tia will finally start answering some direct questions, because at this point, David and the other Reckoners deserve it.

Full disclosure: I would read a book called (Prof and Tia Didn't Tell the Other Reckoners They Could Time Travel So None of Them Wouid Suspect Their Leaders Were Secretly Responsible For) Killing Kennedy. :mellow:

It does raise the question of not only how much Tia knows, but of how much she is both directly and indirectly responsible for. Not only am I wondering if NASA may have caused:summoned Calamity, but I'm also wondering if Prof hadn't known Steelheart way back when. In the first book, it says Prof was staring at the image of Steelheart with intense hatred, so maybe that has something to do with, well, everything.

Basically, I'm starting to wonder if Prof and Tia weren't complicit in the whole rise of Epics thing.

We have not even seen how Tia reacted to Prof. going all high epic, so maybe she will be more likely to tell David, or maybe she'll say even less.

Or we could see Prof kidnap Tia and hide her away somewhere. If she doesn't know his weakness directly, she might be the key to it if this were to happen.

I'm just wondering if Tia may be the trigger for Prof's weakness somehow. We know that they used to date in the past at the very least. It could be that his weakness has something to do with failing to protect someone he cares about (stemming from the deaths of his students), and from what I've seen Tia would be the only living character to qualify as I don't feel that Prof has the same connection with the other members of the Reckoners. In order to prevent his weakness from being taken advantage of, Prof would kidnap Tia and squirrel her away somewhere safe. Then again, I may be completely nuts, but that's my theory.

Edited by Bronzeheart