[Firefight Tour] Seattle 1/07

karaokeang

The confusing thing is that Brandon has said that the Stormfather and the Nightwatcher are /not/ the same sort of thing (I think the actual line is that the relationship between Cultivation/Nightwatcher is not the same as between Honor/Stormfather).  We also recently got WoB that the Stormfather is a Cognitive shadows of Honor (so technically I wouldn't call him a spren) but we know that Cultivation is still alive.

BTW I finished typing up the rough transcription.  I try to go back and fix/polish it but I had some difficulty parsing some of the stuff.  The recording didn't play particularly well for me.  So if someone else can give it a listen and help me out it would be much appreciated.

Well what if the difference is simply that because Cultivation is still alive, the relationship between Cultivation and the Nightwatcher is whatever the relationship was between the Stormfather and Honor was before Honor was Splintered.  We have plenty of evidence to suggest that the Stormfather existed in some fashion long before Honor died, so that's a possibility right?

Well what if the difference is simply that because Cultivation is still alive, the relationship between Cultivation and the Nightwatcher is whatever the relationship was between the Stormfather and Honor was before Honor was Splintered.  We have plenty of evidence to suggest that the Stormfather existed in some fashion long before Honor died, so that's a possibility right?

There is some evidence, though I personally am not inclined to agree with it. (Namely since I think Stormy is Tanavast's ghost, or at least I did).

B: You’ll be interested in this.  Sparkflickers are [...] Herdazians, their fingernails are stone.  A sparkflicker is so they can start fires.  They’re actually flint-and-steel-ing.  So it’s a fire-maker using their actual fingernails.

Q: So they don’t have a martial application?

B: Not really [... males yes if your fingernails are rough].  but there is a deep implication to that that I don’t think people have picked out yet.

Q: *long pause* Holy crem thank you! (Brandon probably wrote something in his book…)

Holy crem what did he write?! Are we going to see a Herdazian Dustbringer?! Was there a sort of Thunderclast-Knight Radiant romance somewhere in Roshar's past?! Do Herdazians have chasmfiend blood?!!!

The guy said he's not "formally" a part of the 17th Shard, but I hope he creates an account soon so he could share the news.

Edited by skaa

Holy crem what did he write?! Are we going to see a Herdazian Dustbringer?! The guy said he's not "formally" a part of the 17th Shard, but I hope he creates an account soon so he could share the news.

My personal thought was that it was about how Herdazians have listener blood, but he told us that already so why would he keep it a secret?  Unless he forgot?

My personal thought was that it was about how Herdazians have listener blood, but he told us that already so why would he keep it a secret?  Unless he forgot?

Ah, I didn't know that (or forgot, most likely). I know the Horneaters have Listener blood, so I have no idea why that didn't occur to me.

Can someone else check again for the 2nd recording from this signing?  I have it posted to the same folder and I can see it.  I started recording again because this guy was asking some awesome questions while Brandon was packing up to go.  It has some good stuff about Diem?? (from White Sand) and Elantris being very similar.  I popped in to ask if the dawn cities were also related and he said No not quite to that.  The guy had read White Sand and he may have had some really good questions that I missed.

I just don't have the time to type this out while I am home and can't access Google docs at work.

Sorry to backseat troubleshoot, and I don't mean to imply that I think you'd make an obvious error... are you sure your "share" settings are right on the google doc? Usually when someone gives me a google doc link and I can't see the file it's because they've made it private.

I have clicked the link, and I see the same files Weiry does.

I started recording again because this guy was asking some awesome questions while Brandon was packing up to go.

Oh, that was me. I was the one asking awesome questions (they were not particularly awesome, but what are you going to do). There was only the one White Sand question, and it was more of an Elantris question. Once Angie figures out how we can see the audio, I could do the transcript, but the most interesting thing I learned was that Elantris was built after people started to be transformed by the Shaod. I said "oh, so they started transforming, then built Elantris?" and he said "I didn't say they built it."

Also, that guy up there who said "holy [crem] thank you!" was not responding to something that was written in his book. I was watching him. He was walking away and kind of pondering on the idea that Brandon gave him something that had a deep implication that people haven't picked out yet, and then said that. Sorry to disappoint.

Oh, that was me. I was the one asking awesome questions (they were not particularly awesome, but what are you going to do). There was only the one White Sand question, and it was more of an Elantris question. Once Angie figures out how we can see the audio, I could do the transcript, but the most interesting thing I learned was that Elantris was built after people started to be transformed by the Shaod. I said "oh, so they started transforming, then built Elantris?" and he said "I didn't say they built it."

Also, that guy up there who said "holy [crem] thank you!" was not responding to something that was written in his book. I was watching him. He was walking away and kind of pondering on the idea that Brandon gave him something that had a deep implication that people haven't picked out yet, and then said that. Sorry to disappoint.

Well darn.  And also it will nice to have an explicit WoB on that about Elantris, we sort of knew it already but Brandon only obliquely references it.  Having it cut and dry like that will help a lot.  How long is the recording?

...but the most interesting thing I learned was that Elantris was built after people started to be transformed by the Shaod. I said "oh, so they started transforming, then built Elantris?" and he said "I didn't say they built it."

Any chance of us getting this verbatim?

So it looks like she started recording after the Elantris part, so the White Sand sort-of spoiler and the Elantris discussion isn't there. Alas. Following is the transcript of me asking him questions that probably everyone knows about Hemalurgy and Knights Radiant:

Handsome And Well-Articulated Question: Hemalurgy is mentioned as something that has broad implications, but that’s of Ruin, right? Or of Harmony now.

Answer: Don’t take the “of Ruin” or “of Preservation” too strongly, but yes.

HAWAQ: So someone couldn’t just walk along with a metal spike on, say, Nalthis and stab them and now they have their powers, could they?

A:If they knew where to stab them, yes they could.

HAWAQ: Anywhere in the Cosmere, you can just stab somebody and get their power?

A: Hemalurgy has been built in such a way that it rips off pieces of the soul. If you can rip off the right piece of the soul and attach it to somebody else, it will change your identity, and it can rewrite anything associated with the soul. Identity, connection, it can rewrite investiture, all of this stuff it can potentially do.

HAWAQ: So the things that you stab people with, are those always metal, or does that depend on the planet?

A: [garbled; I think I asked something like would you stab people with gems on Roshar, to which he replied with “oh well yes, you could make it…you could do something like that, that is totally possible.”]

HAWAQ: ‘Cause it seems that other shards, you kind of have to be near that shard to get that power.

A: Yes, to have that part of your soul, but for instance, Allomancy would work on other planets. The only one that’s going to have trouble working on other planets right now are the ones on Sel because of the way that the magics are built.

HAWAQ: I have 3 more questions [general laughter and merrymaking]. They’re quick.

A: Okay.

HAWAQ: Did every order of the Knights Radiant have Shardblades?

A: Every order was capable of Shardblades.

HAWAQ: Did every order have Shardplate?

A: Every order was capable of it.

HAWAQ: Did every order, and this may be cheating, have Ryshadium?

A: The Ryshadium were a separate thing, not always associated with the Knights Radiant.

HAWAQ: So the things that you stab people with, are those always metal, or does that depend on the planet?

A: [garbled; I think I asked something like would you stab people with gems on Roshar, to which he replied with “oh well yes, you could make it…you could do something like that, that is totally possible.”]

I asked this during the Words of Radiance tour, I think he RAFO'd me. I need to check.

EDIT: Yep, I got RAFO'd on this one:

Q [30:50]: In the different worlds, can you Hemalurgically spike people with materials other than metal? For example a wooden spike, or a gem spike?
A: RAFO.

So nice one here!
Edited by Argent

I asked this during the Words of Radiance tour, I think he RAFO'd me. I need to check.

EDIT: Yep, I got RAFO'd on this one:

Q [30:50]: In the different worlds, can you Hemalurgically spike people with materials other than metal? For example a wooden spike, or a gem spike?

A: RAFO.

So nice one here!

Indeed it's nice. Also, it supports one of my Aether of Night theories (though of course I cannot say what it is here; it's in the White Sand conversation thread, though).

Edited by skaa

This probably shouldn't go here, but I don't really want to make a new thread just for this. 

On Elantris pre-dating the people there:

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=768#2

The story [of Aon Ehe] tells of the first princess of Arelon. This was some years after the founding of Arelon following the migration of the Aonic people from other lands. Elantris, of course, had already existed as a city when that migration occurred, and had been discovered empty. While some people assumed it haunted, Proud King Rhashm (later renamed Raoshem) determined to conquer the fears of his people and set up a kingdom centered on Elantris.

The transformation of the first Elantrians happened beginning several decades later. Princess Elashe—the first of Raoshem's line to be chosen as an Elantrian—claimed to have seen the pattern of this Aon inscribed on a coal in her hearth the day after she underwent the transformation. Whether or not this story is true, a coal or rock written with Aon Ehe on it is considered good luck and a ward against winter spirits. (Though this kind of superstition is frowned upon by the Korathi priests.)

Other uses of Ehe are plentiful. It is one of the primal elements, and is often used in scientific writings. It is a ward and warning against danger. It is used on signs in conjunction with other Aons to mean warm food or warm beds available. Some artists and poets choose it as their symbol, both to hint at the dangerous nature of artistry and to speak of the passion of artistry.

FOOTNOTE
It is unclear if "other lands" is on planet(Sel), or from somewhere else.

I'm currently typing it up here.  It is still a rough transcription, but the jist of things is there.

Would you mind posting a spoiler on this thread with a copy of the full transcription? I've found that re-finding WoBs gets a heck of a lot easier when it's on the site itself to Google/search than when it's just in the Doc.