Religion in Cosmere vs. Real World

gjustice99

So the religions in the Cosmere are all based on real religions. I want to see which Cosmere religions are based on which Real World religions.

My Thoughts:

Vorinism=Hinduism (caste system=callings)

Survivorism=Christianity (obviously)

Pathism=Buddhism

If you have any ideas for any other Cosmere religions connection to real world religions post them here, or if you disagree with any connections I've made post below as well.

I don't think you can draw such easy parallels. Each cosmere religion is only vaguely connected to a real world one, and often there are several themes from different places.

For example, while there are obvious parallels between survivorism and christianism, the figure of a prophet leading his people out of slavery is present in judaism.

And connecting vorinism to hinduism just because of caste is a big stretch. putting aside that vorin castes are much more mobile, and it is usual for many people to change caste both up or down, with nothing like the pariah, but vorin theology is strictly monoteistic, has "fall from grace" as a centra theme, and put emphasis on doing well in one's job.

I don't know enough about buddism to comment much about pathism, and we also have few informations on it. Still, I don't see many connections. pathism is a very open religion, its only real tenet is "be a good guy" which is a common message of virtually every world religion.

Anyway, if it was that easy to draw parallels between cosmere religions (or cultures in general) and real world ones, then sanderson would not be as good a writer as he is.

I'm not saying that each Cosmere religion only lines up to one real world one. Some may have multiple connections. The ones I posted are just connections I have seen.

Also in regards to the connection between Buddhism and Pathism, Buddhism is also a fairly open religion that focus on being a good person from what I understand.

Edited by gjustice99

• Chaos locked this topic