A Dissertation to End all Dissertations

Iredomi

Okay, well I'll be starting my Honour's Dissertation for English next year and I've been thinking about doing something on Sanderson's magnificent Cosmere, however I need to keep my research area a bit more focused than the entirety of the Cosmere. To give you an idea I have a friend who wrote his dissertation on race politics in Mistborn and another who is going to be looking at magic systems in Elantris and how they interact with the world. I'm quite interested in tragic theory, gender politics and history. But any ideas would be of much help! So yeah if you were in my shoes what would you focus on?

Thanks heaps in advance =)

Edit: also the dissertation in this case is a 10,000 word research essay.

Edited by Iredomi

Well, it is the *Honor's* dissertation... and Roshar has some interesting gender politics.

Haha this is actually a joke that never crossed my mind before. Hmm I could perhaps talk about theology on Roshar and what makes a deity a deity? That could be quite a rewarding line of investigation. But yes gender politics on Roshar are very interesting the whole feminine and masculine arts. 

Kandra and the concepts of civil duty and destiny.

Mistborn trilogy spoilers:

As a species they were trained from birth to be willing to live out their lives as slaves for the fate of the world, and to commit racial suicide at a moment's notice.

Yes this is something else I hadn't thought about! But I haven't actually given any particular ideas that much thought yet haha. Just was like... I can spend a year of study writing about the Cosmere YAAAAAAY!  Hmm I'm sure I could mention Kant and his ideas of duty too in contrast. 

Hm. Interesting. No real suggestions from this quarter, but feel free to get in touch with me if you end up focusing on something that I've displayed obsession expertise interest in in the past. Also I've historically offered some small "cosmere google" services to those in dire need, and I'd imagine you don't want to slip up due to a lack of WoBs.

Gender and religious duty in Warbreaker. 

Idris seems to have more equality among the sexes in their religious services; having apparently no distinction between the genders in religious orders (Fafen becomes a monk, not a nun; it is mentioned that boys who wished to marry her would have to become monks as well) whereas the priests within Hallandren refer to Siri as "Vessel" throughout the duration of her stay there. However, it could be argued that Hallandren also exhibits a good deal of gender equality and opportunity within the Court of Gods, as there are both male and female priests, and male and female Returned seem to wield the same amount of power. From an Idiran perspective, the Hallandren are far less friendly toward their women; as Vivenna sees it, Siri is forced to wear revealing dresses and put on a pretty face, wielding no political power. From a Hallandren perspective, however, Austrism could be said to strip both genders of individuality when a young man or woman takes their vows to become a monk. Such a discussion may lead to a look at control of information and how this impacts politics between the two nations, as well as an examination of how religion is misinterpreted by outsiders.

There so many things that could be discussed...  What exactly is "tragic theory" though?  I'm not familiar with that term.

Whatever you do I would definitely email Brandon about it with any questions you have.  He may not be able to answer all (or any) of them but it's worth a try.  I think he would be happy that someone is putting so much thought into his work.

There so many things that could be discussed...  What exactly is "tragic theory" though?  I'm not familiar with that term.

Whatever you do I would definitely email Brandon about it with any questions you have.  He may not be able to answer all (or any) of them but it's worth a try.  I think he would be happy that someone is putting so much thought into his work.

Well tragic theory is essentially theories about what makes something a tragedy. Touches on very broad concepts about suffering, death, meaning of life and stuff like that. Used Nietzsche a lot the last time I talked about. 

But in regards to the tragedy in Brandon's books I think one great example is Elend having to let go of all his ideals to save the world. 

I may do just that! 

Idris seems to have more equality among the sexes in their religious services; having apparently no distinction between the genders in religious orders (Fafen becomes a monk, not a nun; it is mentioned that boys who wished to marry her would have to become monks as well) whereas the priests within Hallandren refer to Siri as "Vessel" throughout the duration of her stay there. However, it could be argued that Hallandren also exhibits a good deal of gender equality and opportunity within the Court of Gods, as there are both male and female priests, and male and female Returned seem to wield the same amount of power. From an Idiran perspective, the Hallandren are far less friendly toward their women; as Vivenna sees it, Siri is forced to wear revealing dresses and put on a pretty face, wielding no political power. From a Hallandren perspective, however, Austrism could be said to strip both genders of individuality when a young man or woman takes their vows to become a monk. Such a discussion may lead to a look at control of information and how this impacts politics between the two nations, as well as an examination of how religion is misinterpreted by outsiders.

Wow thank you for your thoughtful response! This does sound really engaging, Hallandren also seems more sexually liberated in some ways too.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post. In regards to Word of Brandon does anyone know the best place to find all of that? I've been gone from the forums for a little bit longer than I meant to haha.

Edited by Iredomi

Warbreaker Spoilers

With the Hallandren priests calling Siri Vessel, that is because her duty was to be the "Vessel" for the next God King. Also, female Priests in Hallandren seem to be the priests for female returned.

Warbreaker Spoilers

With the Hallandren priests calling Siri Vessel, that is because her duty was to be the "Vessel" for the next God King. Also, female Priests in Hallandren seem to be the priests for female returned.

I get why they did that, and that in Hallandren, it was a show of respect. But think of it from an Idrian's perspective. Both men and women are called "monks," firstborns of both genders seem to be given equal consideration for the throne, and Austrism places similar restrictions on dress for both men and women. To hear a princess referred to as "Vessel" and never her name would probably sound extremely demeaning to Idrian ears.

Haha this is actually a joke that never crossed my mind before. Hmm I could perhaps talk about theology on Roshar and what makes a deity a deity? That could be quite a rewarding line of investigation. But yes gender politics on Roshar are very interesting the whole feminine and masculine arts. 

Emphasis Added.

If you're wanting to delve into the concepts of being a deity, Lightsong from Warbreaker is an excellent focus. His monologues alone could easily support a dissertation, not to mention his discussions with the rest of the Pantheon. Add in the Annotations from Brandon's site, and I think it would be easy to reach your 10,000 word target.

You could also approach the issue using both Elantris and Warbreaker, as the Elantrians are, essentially, fallen gods trying to reclaim their godliness. I feel, though, that Lightsong is a much more doable topic, with a thesis along the lines of "What does it mean to be a god?"

Good luck!

Emphasis Added.

If you're wanting to delve into the concepts of being a deity, Lightsong from Warbreaker is an excellent focus. His monologues alone could easily support a dissertation, not to mention his discussions with the rest of the Pantheon. Add in the Annotations from Brandon's site, and I think it would be easy to reach your 10,000 word target.

You could also approach the issue using both Elantris and Warbreaker, as the Elantrians are, essentially, fallen gods trying to reclaim their godliness. I feel, though, that Lightsong is a much more doable topic, with a thesis along the lines of "What does it mean to be a god?"

Good luck!

If you add in the bits about Allmother and Calmseer, it could lead to an excellent contrast and a fuller perspective on the topic. 

Haha this is awesome thanks so much for the responses! Yeah I'm pretty sure at this stage I'm going to be concentrating on deities and religion in Sanderson's Cosmere. I'll explore that some more (which means a lot of rereading) and it should pare down to something more manageable. But I'm fascinated by Honor at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Rosharan religion is actually really interesting when you think about it. You have the trope of the ancient religion whose scriptures refer to actual past events and whose gods are getting involved with the world...

Except that there are various sects with different beliefs, and a lot of it is factually incorrect, and God is dead.

It's probably not as interesting as Warbreaker when it comes to religion, though. I think that Brandon seems to be exploring morality more than religion in the Stormlight Archive.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've decided to approach Sanderson's Cosmere works as a thought experiment on religion, how they form, how they shape world views, what assumptions are made and the power relationship involved. Will start with how real world beliefs (so Platonic ideals etc.) form the foundation for  how the reality of the Cosmere works/is constructed. Then go on to see how in-world religions relate to real world religions and what Sanderson's works have to say about them. I am aware this line of investigation is quite broad at the moment. But it is something I see as having real potential.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're focusing on religion, don't leave Mistborn out! Obviously you have all the religions in Sazed's copperminds, but also the Steel Ministry and the religion surrounding the Lord Ruler.

There may also be some debate as to whether the

first contract

could be considered a religion.

• 2 years later...

OMG you guys i want to write my senior year Undergrad thesis on the mistborn trilogy and try to relate it to political philsophy. Can you guys suggest ideas and help me out. ive also read warbreaker and started  elantris but would like to focus on the mistborn trilogy as its one of my all time fav books! 

• Chaos locked this topic