Theme Songs

gjustice99

I guess that works if you go with the title.

And the fact that he (sort of) literally worships her. If you take it in the metaphorical sense (the way the singer/songwriter meant adults to interpret it) it also could work for their relationship. I mean come on, they are married after all.  ;)

I kind of like to imagine The Lord Ruler with Starkid's rendition of "Twisted" which is a parody of Aladdin in the style of "Wicked" showing the traditionally "Villainous" characters in a sympathetic light... I can imagine The Lord Ruler singing "Twisted" (The song, for which the musical is named) from a thematic standpoint, but I can't imagine what the other characters singing the chorus would be... 

Other than that, Vin and Elend, when the world is ending... Queen's "Who wants to live forever?" Could be rather moving.

When I read a masterpiece, I listen to a masterpiece. And so I usually listen to music by J.S. Bach when I read anything by Brandon Sanderson.

With one exception. Beethoven's "Moonlight" sonata goes to Mistborn: The Final Empire.

Links are not agreeing with me, so I'll just name the pieces by title.

Fantasia and Fugue BWV 537 goes to Kaladin.

Toccata and Fugue BWV 538 goes to Dalinar. (Shallan and Pattern show up somewhere in the middle of the fugue, I think)

Prelude and Fugue BWV 552 goes with the end of Hero of Ages.

And there are many others.

Edit: I should probably clarify about Moonlight Sonata. The first two movements are relaxing, while the third is rather violent. This especially matches the scene where Vin is at a ball and leaves it fighting. The slow, dancelike music in the second movement matches the ball perfectly, and then suddenly the third movement hits and she is fighting mistborns.

Edited by Xaladin

"Heroes" for David.

"Turn Down for What" for Nightwielder.

Which "Heroes"?

"I've Been Everywhere" by Johnny Cash, for Hoid.

EDIT:

"All the Madmen" by David Bowie, for Zane. It even has the line "Zane, Zane, Zane."

Edited by The Shadow

"Hunter of the Damned" by Micheal Loncor for Prof. 

Sample lines:

"The courtroom and the classroom were the places I belonged,

But ancient evil came and made me battle the unknown."

"All my life I searched for truth, for knowledge of the light,

Now I hunt the demon breed, the raptors of the night."

"Where once I strove for sanity, to know and understand,

Now I'm God's own holy madman, The Hunter of the Damned!

With cross and fire, stake and sword, I roam a blasted land;

Now I am Van Helsing, The Hunter of the Damned!"

The Fractured States are certainly a blasted land, and while I haven't seen Prof use crosses or stakes, he does use fires and a sword. Mainly, the idea of the peaceful, scholarly man forced to fight against evil creatures when nobody else can fits him perfectly.

Also for Prof, "Monster in My Head" by Micheal Loncor:

"I'm a kitten and a flower,

I don't want no fame or power, (...)

I don't like the sound of screaming;

I can't stand the sight of bleeding.

But there's a monster in my head and he thinks it's lots of fun."

I think this fits with how Prof goes nuts when he uses his Epic powers (I guess it applies to Megan, too).

"Laws" from Heralds, Harpers, and Havoc seems to fit Vin's changing view of life.

Heralds, Harpers & Havoc 11 Laws - YouTube

It seems kind of weird to use songs written about the characters of other books, but several of them do fit. Any other filk fans on this thread? (If you haven't heard of it before, yes, 'filk' is the correct spelling. It's music based off of books, usually sci-fi/fantasy. Sadly, there are few quality filk recordings for Sanderson novels, but I've found a couple.)

"Avalon Is Risen" by Isaac Bonewits for Sazed. It's about nearly dead religions being revived.

Leslie Fish: Avalon is Risen - YouTube

"Chickasaw Mountain" by Leslie Fish for the Nightwatcher. It's about making deals with the "Lady of the Morning Star" who lives in a patch of eternal darkness on the side of Chickasaw Mountain.

Leslie Fish -- "Chickasaw Mountain" - YouTube

Maybe "Philosophy" from Heralds, Harpers, and Havoc for Lift, because it's about a thief roughly her age who believes in committing his petty larcenies with cheer and style:

Heralds, Harpers & Havoc 04 Philosophy - YouTube

"Send In the Silver Gryphons" by Michael Loncor for the Reckoners as a group.

Send in the Silver Gryphons, by Mercedes Lackey, Owl's Flight - YouTube

"March of Cambreadth" by Heather Alexander for the Alethi people with their cultural and religious fixation on war.

March of Cambreadth - YouTube

"Not Dead Yet" by Styx for Kaladin and Kelsier, because they were both put through things that were meant to kill them, but came back and raised merry hell for the people who put them there.

Styx - Not Dead Yet (1990) - YouTube

"The Gods Aren't Crazy" (They're Only Drunk) by Leslie Fish for Lightsong, because while he can't actually get drunk, he tries very hard. It also fits with his theory that the universe is controlled by a drunk monkey.

The Gods Aren't Crazy Lyrics - YouTube

Edit: Added links to the songs I could find online and removed the sample lines for the songs that now have direct links.

Edited by Dankworth

• 3 weeks later...

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

"Armada" by Two Steps from Hell for the battle betwen Szeth and Kaladin.

"I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran (Check out the Peter Hollens cover) for basically all of Hero of Ages.

"Protectors of the Earth" by Two Steps from Hell for the last scene in Hero of Ages where Elend's army burns through atium in battle against Ruin's forces.

"Roundtable Rival" by Lindsey Stirling for Wax and Wayne.

"Royals" by Lorde (check out the Pentatonix cover) for Kelsier's crew.

"Moving Mountains" by Two Steps from Hell for the Lord Ruler. He seemed to just be some random immortal guy who took over the world and then didn't do anything and then everything he did when he revealed himself was super powerful and deadly.

"I'm Reading a Book" by Julian Smith for Elend.

"Aha!" by Imogen Heap for the Ghostbloods in Words of Radiance. Watch the cover by Pentatonix on Youtube to see what I mean.

"Battle At Hoback" by Two Steps from Hell for when the Lifeless are sent to attack Idris.

"1000 Ships of the Underworld" by Two Steps from Hell for the Koloss armies. I can see them covering the land as they march under the gaze of the Inquisitors.

"Sky Titans" by Two Steps from Hell for the starting scene of Hero of Ages where Vin and Elend open a can of whopping on the Koloss.

"Hypnotica" by Two Steps from Hell for the scene where Sadeus has just betrayed Dalinar and he must battle the Parshendi on his own. Or perhaps the last battle in Words of Radiance.

"United We Stand, Divided We Fall" by Two Steps from Hell for the Siege of Luthadel or the last battle in Words of Radiance.

"Palladio" by Escala for the time when Shallan and Kaladin were running around in the chasms in Words of Radiance.

"Strength of a Thousand Men" by Two Steps from Hell for the scene where Raoden discovered the secret about why AonDor didn't work and Elantris was restored and Dilaf decides to blow everything up.

"Requiem for a Tower" by Escala for the end of The Final Empire when Vin finds out what Kelsier's true plan was and the skaa unite.

"Enigmatic Soul" by Two Steps from Hell for Siri.

"117" by Neil Davidge for Kaladin training his men in the chasms and learning how to use Stormlight.

"Invincible" by Two Steps from Hell for TenSoon.

"Senbonzakura" by Hatsune Miku (check out the cover by Lindsey Stirling) for Syl. This song seems so fast paced, non-stop, and energetic, just like Syl.

"The Final Countdown" by Europe for when Shallan is trying to discover how to open the Oathgate to Urithiru.

"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor for Adolin during his first duels and him convincing people to join him.

"Awakening" by Neil Davidge for the Battle for Luthadel.

"Undefeated" by Def Leppard for Adolin. This song is just dripping with the cocky attitude he portrays.

"Baba Yetu" by Christopher Tin (check out the cover by Peter Hollens) for Raoden giving purpose to the Elantrians and building a better life for them.

"Blizzard" by Two Steps from Hell for when Vin is rushing bavk to Luthadel in Well of Ascension and she realized that is actually where the Well is.

"Infiltrate" by Michael Salvatori and Martin O'Donnell for when Vasher is sneaking into the Pantheon of Gods.

"To Galaxy" by Neil Davidge (mostly the second half) for Szeth. This song is powerful, but laced with sorrow.

"Skyworld" by Two Steps from Hell for Elend's armies in Hero of Ages. It feels like the world is literally falling into fire and ash but people are still fighting anyway.

"City of Hope" by Journey for the city of Elantris.

"Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons (check out the Pentatonix cover) for the skaa. Just based on the words I can hear the skaa.

"Asimov" by Two Steps from Hell for Dilaf. It seems intense, sinister, and just below the point of madness.

"Madame Guillotine" from The Scarlet Pimpernel for the Citizen of Urteau.

"Sons of War" by Two Steps from Hell for the stormform Parshendi.

"El Dorado" by Two Steps from Hell for Kelsier and his plans.

"Winterspell" by Two Steps from Hell for Vin. It oscillates between sweet and delicate and intense, just like Vin.

"I Am the Walrus" by The Beatles for Wayne since he is so crazy and odd.

Sorry, I like songs.

Which "Heroes"?

"I've Been Everywhere" by Johnny Cash, for Hoid.

EDIT:

"All the Madmen" by David Bowie, for Zane. It even has the line "Zane, Zane, Zane."

Heroes by Alesso & Tove Lo. 

Also, Rhianna and Eminem's "Monster" for Prof.  

The Breaking Light (by Vienna Teng) for Lightsong.

lyrics here.

listen here

particularly

"Let your lion heart cleave the waves
brother you will return"

and 

"Listen to the darkness, listen to the patterns, listen to the breathing sea

listen to the colours, carry them inside you, they will bring you back to me

in the breaking light"

Thirty Seconds to Mars - From Yesterday for Mr. T.

Three Days Grace - World So Cold for Vivenna when she becomes a drab after running away from Denth.

Oasis - Wonderwall: How Kaladin feels about Syl.

Gotye - Save Me for Kaladin when he's all moody.

Panic! At The Disco - The End Of All Things for Elend and Vin especially when they die.

Level Up (vienna teng) for Bridge Four. 

Just set the entire training montage sequence of WoK to this and I'll be happy.

"if you are afraid come forth

if you are alone come forth now

everybody here has loved and lost

so level up and love again

[...]

everybody here has seams and scars

so what? level up

[...]

yes you are only one

no it is not enough

but if you lift your eyes I am your brother

and this is all we need

and this is where we start"

• 1 month later...

Listened to Queen the other day. Princes of the Universe. 

It is soooooooooooo Dalinar. The first half is when he is younger conquering Alethkar, the second half is the current Dalinar. It is perfection.

Does anyone else agree? Listen to it, read along. Think about Dalinar while doing so. Everything is in there.