So I noticed something today....

mail-mi

That would be interesting if it was intentional. He ended up being an infidel in the end, technically.

That would be really cool, actually. Like Raoden's name was kind of a prophecy for the (since it's the Elantris forum I don't have to put things in spoilers, right?) ending with Elantris being a giant Aon Rao, Hrathen's name was kind of a prophecy for him going heathen at the end of the book.

• 3 weeks later...

Huh. It would be interesting as a coincidence; if it were intentional, it'd be downright brilliant.

Can anyone name any ways in which Sarene can be said to be serene?

I can't think of anything that makes her serene but I always found it funny that queen and Sarene rhyme and she becomes queen of Arelon in the end.

I can't think of anything that makes her serene but I always found it funny that queen and Sarene rhyme and she becomes queen of Arelon in the end.

Actually Sarene and queen don't rhyme, in-world it would be pronounced "sar-EE-NEE" (or sar-AY-NAY, but that is more an artifact of the fact that her name used to be Sarana, based of Aon Ana instead of Aon Ene).

Actually, they do rhyme. The audio book clearly says Sarene is pronounced like serene. Which reminded me of Serenity and I marveled at how amazing that movie was.

That doesn't mean the audiobook reader is saying it correctly.  Author's sometimes give a pronunciation guide but there is no guarantee that reader will follow it. H

Aye, Elantris probably has the most strict rules or specific guidelines about how names should be pronounced. Brandon had a blog on his old website about it, but if I recall correctly:

• Arelish names are derived from one Aon each (e.g. Raoden, Sarene, Eventeo, etc.)
  • The first vowel of the syllable with the Aon is stressed (e.g. REI-o-den, not rei-O-den or rei-o-DEN)
  • The Aon's vowels are pronounced as long sounds (e.g. sar-EE-nee, not sar-EEN)

Pronunciation geeks, don't murder me for butchering your proper rules, please.

• Chaos locked this topic