Why do Spren only appear on Roshar?

Yth

I have long had the following question.  If all of the worlds, (eg, Roshar, Nalthis, etc.) have ccess to the Cognitive Realm, and the Cognitive Realm is the Spren's "world" if you will, then why do we not see Spren on any worlds except Roshar?

The highstorm seems to "mix" the realms a little bit, allowing spren to be seen temporarily in the Physical, or so goes my theory. It's why spren aren't seen in Shinovar.

SA3 spoilers:

Also: the Cognitive on Sel is very dangerous. It could be due to their spren.

We know that the Shardworlds themselves have an influence on the magic systems that manifest on them so it would follow that they affect all manifestations of investiture, including things like spren.  Sel has Seons and Skaze which are spren-like but Roshar has something special that allow spren to exist.

Spren appear to be manifestations of Cognitive entities with Investiture attached to them. This is presumably caused by a combination of something to do with Roshar itself and the splintering of Honor. There were apparently spren before Honor was splintered, but it's likely that Honor and/or Cultivation would have reasons to create splinters.

I think that the reason spren are so common on Roshar is because Honor, cultivation and Odium have splintered themselves a bit (ok more than a bit in Honors case) giving these ideas that normally only exist in the cognitive realm the boost they needed to be seen in the physical realm.

Also I think there's a WoB somewhere that says that some spren are little fragments of Adonalsium and that they are found on worlds other than Roshar. (I looked but I couldn't find the exact quote so I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy but I think I got the idea)

• Chaos locked this topic