Release Dates

Zas678

If I remember the signing correctly, Bands of Mourning should come after Oathbringer. So 2017 seems likely.

I know the original date to BoM was November, but... you know. Hype. xD

He accidently wrote BoM early so who knows

I love how he can "accidently write" something. It's like "Ups I dropped that ink into that stack of paper... ¡Oh, look! ¡A new Mistborn novel!"

• 1 month later...

Just checked the progress bar on brandon's site. He is at 28 percent. Just makes me think his progress speed means It might be early 2017 when stormlight 3 comes out.

This is because brandon will still do side projects. Also, there's a lag between book being completed and it being published (3-6 months). So I am assuming a late 2016 completion with proofreads/editing increasing the time lag to publish date.

• 3 weeks later...
Another December, another State of the Sanderson. Lot of information on upcoming releases here, plus some insight as to what it's like to be a famously productive writer with an eager (rabid?) fan base. 

As always, please drop me some knowledge if you know something I don't have here. And if possible, link the place where you found your information. Thanks!   :)

RELEASED AND AVAILABLE NOW

* Bands of Mourning (Wax & Wayne 3) - January 26

* Mistborn: Secret History - ebook only - January 30

* Calamity (Reckoners 3) - February 16 - Ends the series, at least for now. 

* Alcatraz 1 - reprint - February 16

* Alcatraz 2 - reprint - February 16

* Alcatraz 3 - reprint - April 19

* White Sand, Volume 1 - graphic novel - June 28/29

* Alcatraz 4 - reprint - July 19

TO BE RELEASED IN 2016

* Alcatraz 5 - coming September 6

* Arcanum Unbound - coming November 8.  This is a Cosmere short story collection, featuring a new Stormlight novella (Edgedancer). 

* Short story, title unknown, featured in Unfettered II anthology edited by Shawn Speakman, coming in November.

COMING SOON IN 2017 and 2018

* Snapshot - new novella - February 2017

The Atzlanian (Rithmatist 2) - 2017

* Oathbringer,aka Stones Unhallowed (Stormlight 3) - The June 2016 newsletter says: " I’m hoping to finish sometime later this year, with a 2017 release."  A July 2016 Q&A on Reddit says:  "November or October next year is very likely." 

* Apocalypse Guard, book 1 - new YA series - 2018 

* The Lost Metal (Wax and Wayne 4) (final book) - 2018

THE INCREASINGLY FUZZY FUTURE 

* Stormlight 4 - 2019

* Apocalypse Guard 2 - 2019

* Elantris 2 - 2020

Apocalypse Guard  (final book) - 2020

* Stormlight 5 (ending of first arc) - 2021

* Elantris 3 (final book) - 2022

LONG WAY OFF STILL

* 1980s Mistborn series - some time after Elantris sequels

* Nightblood (Warbreaker 2) - some time after Elantris sequels

* Stormlights 6-10

Mistborn SF series

* Dragonsteel / Liar of Partinel

WILD CARDS AND POTENTIAL SURPRISES

* Legion 3 - "It could happen literally at any time, but I don't expect it in 2017, to be honest."

Adamant - Done, but no plans to release it in 2016. Sounds like he doesn't plan to publish this until he's written some other stories in this same world. 

Dark One - "bound to get done someday"

* Death by Pizza - "perhaps eventually"

* Silence Divine - "Could be a long way off still."

* Soulburner - "The setting is awesome... I don't have a story for it yet."

* Aether of Night - "I'll likely so something with it someday."

Wow! Lots of great stuff coming our way, both sooner and later. Fandersons, it's a good time to be alive. 

Edited by Fedcomic
new information

I like that you named a category: "The Increasingly Fuzzy Future"

Well, when I look back at State of the Sanderson posts for previous years, they look to me a bit like a weather forecast. Predictions for this afternoon are pretty solid, predictions for tomorrow are reasonably close, and predictions for next week are really hit or miss.

The only thing I'm quite sure of is that El Brandón will continue to pump out high quality fiction at a rate that I wish most of my other favorite authors would try to emulate. 

• 3 weeks later...

Wax and wayne was supposed to be a Mistborn short so I wonder if the stormlight novella will stay a novella

I think the Stormlight novella is a different case altogether. Wax and Wayne came after the first Mistborn arc was completed. It organically grew into something bigger than a short story or novella because it made sense as a way to tell the next chapter in the greater Mistborn saga. Stormlight, on the other hand, has barely begun. A novella growing into a whole series would threaten to derail the main series, at this stage. Think about it: of the ten Radiant orders, only two have been explored in detail. So much of what is going on remains a huge mystery. If you have a side-story that is anything more than a novella, then it's either going to have to start solving that mystery, thereby interfering with the main series, or tell a completely different story. A novella works for telling a completely different story. It fills in some details of the world, makes the whole thing richer...  A whole other series wouldn't do that as well, in my opinion. Not now, anyway. After SA5, maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon's newsletter came out today, revealing that the secret project alluded to in the State of the Sanderson is a short novel called Mistborn: Secret History. Awesome!  And it's already been released as an ebook. Double awesome! 

http://brandonsanderson.com/books/mistborn/secret-history/

He also says that because Stormlight 3 is very unlikely to come out this year, he will be releasing the Cosmere short story collection, including a new Stormlight novella and maybe a new Stormlight short story as well. Triple awesome!  

Thanks, Brandon. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I think the Stormlight novella is a different case altogether. Wax and Wayne came after the first Mistborn arc was completed. It organically grew into something bigger than a short story or novella because it made sense as a way to tell the next chapter in the greater Mistborn saga. Stormlight, on the other hand, has barely begun. A novella growing into a whole series would threaten to derail the main series, at this stage. Think about it: of the ten Radiant orders, only two have been explored in detail. So much of what is going on remains a huge mystery. If you have a side-story that is anything more than a novella, then it's either going to have to start solving that mystery, thereby interfering with the main series, or tell a completely different story. A novella works for telling a completely different story. It fills in some details of the world, makes the whole thing richer... A whole other series wouldn't do that as well, in my opinion. Not now, anyway. After SA5, maybe.

What Novella is this?!!!!?

Edit: nevermind, found it.

Edited by The Dragon Reborn

Sweet!  And now they also have White Sand listed, although they're not showing us a cover yet.   

But now that Amazon is listing release dates for all of these books, it looks like a truly amazing year for Branderson fans.  Four new novels, a new graphic novel, a collection of shorts with a new novella (and maybe more), and four old books back in print. Wow!  

And we're just over two months into 2016!  And the man loves surprises!  Hold on to your hats, everyone. This is going to be a really good year. 

Edited by Fedcomic

Wouldn't you know it, we have a new project announced. Or, rather, Brandon has finally revealed the Unnamed YA Series he will be writing after Stormlight 3. It's called Apocalypse Guard, and it's set in the same multiverse as The Reckoners.

(Since this means we have multiple book series set on different worlds in a shared setting, there is some speculation that we are witnessing the birth of another Cosmere.) 

Book 1 is tentatively slated for a 2018 release.  You can find a movie-poster-ish thing on Brandon's website, here: http://brandonsanderson.com/the-apocalypse-guard/.  Looks great!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...