Release Dates

Zas678

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thoroughly enjoy all of Brandons works but Stormlight Archive is my fave by a mile it just seems to resonate with me!! I enjoy Mistborn but im ashamed to say every few months things just seem to leak away from me and i have to refresh. However i could never moan about Brandon the way i do about GRRM haha he always seems to be so active.

Here's a new schedule of release dates, updated to reflect the 2014 State of the Sanderson and other recent developments. Everything after Firefight is tentative at best, so caveat emptor.  And if you have better or more up-to-date information, please reply and include a link. Thanks! :)

THIS YEAR (2015)

* Firefight (Reckoners 2) - released January 6

* White Sand graphic novel #1 - Last year's press release said: "Dynamite plans to produce White Sand as a series of 3 original graphic novels, the first of which will be published in 2015." And apparently scripts and pencils are done for the first issue, so it seems like they're on track. 

* Shadows of Self (Wax & Wayne 2) - coming in October

NEXT YEAR (2016)

* Bands of Mourning (Wax & Wayne 3) - coming in January

* Calamity (Reckoners 3) - He will write it by March 2015. Firefight was completed in March 2014 and released in January 2015, so maybe this will also be an early 2016 release. 

* Alcatraz 5 - He says he wants to put this out in summer 2016. Given that he has a first draft done, and that the prologue and chapter one have already been released via the newsletter, this seems like a realistic goal. 

* Stones Unhallowed (Stormlight 3) - "Writing the book should consume the entire rest of 2015, with a 2016 release." Writing and editing a book of this size takes time, so my guess is it will come out late in the year, just in time for Christmas.  

NEAR FUTURE

And now we move into the realm of pure speculation. Any of the following could come out in the next couple of years. I think the order just depends on what happens to strike his fancy. 

* Lurker / Adamant - SF novella - draft finished, plan to revise during 2015

* Silence Divine - to be renamed - novella - did readings from it in 2014

* The Lost Metal (Wax & Wayne 4) - sounds like it's outlined
* The Aztlanian (Rithmatist 2) - still doing background research

* Dark One - YA series - after Rithmatist and Reckoners series conclude

* Legion 3 - no ideas yet, but these seem to come quickly 

* Perfect State - It wasn't in his State of the Sanderson, but he's reading from it on the Firefight tour, and giving away excerpts from it as prizes in Steelhunt 2015. 

LONGER TERM...
2018, hopefully : Stormlight 4

2020, hopefully : Stormlight 5

Elantris sequels - He says he'll do these after Stormlight 5 if he hasn't done them before then. 

Mistborn 1980s-era - After Elantris sequels 

NIghtblood (Warbreaker 2) - Probably after Elantris sequels

Stormlights 6-10
Mistborn SF series

Dragonsteel - after Stormlight 10 - Coming soon, in 2031!

Edited by Fedcomic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Possibly. Peter (Brandon's assistent) said that in the next printings of the hardcover they'll put in the new changes. But I'm not sure if there's been a new printing of hardcover books since the paperback came out.  

However, all of the paperback books will have the changes in them.

• 1 month later...
It's been six months, and we have some new information, so I'm updating. As always, this is just one man's attempt to pull together all the relevant info. If you have something better or more up-to-date, please reply and include a link. Thanks!  :)

THIS YEAR (2015)

Firefight (Reckoners 2) - released January 6

Perfect State - released March 31

Shadows of Self (Wax & Wayne 2) - preorder set up for an October 6 release

White Sand graphic novel #1 - Last year's press release said: "Dynamite plans to produce White Sand as a series of 3 original graphic novels, the first of which will be published in 2015." Brandon's assistant Peter now says that a 2015 release "depends on production," although apparently they had the scripts and pencils done for the first issue a while ago. 

NEXT YEAR (2016)

Bands of Mourning (Wax & Wayne 3) - preorder set up for a January 26 release

Calamity (Reckoners 3) - Second draft finished in May 2015. Last year they were hoping this would be done in time for an early 2016 release. Now they say spring 2016 some time. 

* Unnamed Stormlight novella - Brandon says he might release one next spring as a teaser.

* Alcatraz vs. the Dark Talent (Alcatraz 5) - Still on track for a summer 2016 release. 

Stones Unhallowed (Stormlight 3) - "Writing the book should consume the entire rest of 2015, with a 2016 release." The latest word confirms my previous guess of a release just in time for Christmas.  

NEAR FUTURE (2017-2019)

* Stormlight 4 - Mentioned in the latest updateHe also mentioned three other projects (listed below) that he will consider doing first. My guess is that one or two of them get released before Stormlight 4 and the other 1 or 2 not long after. 

* The Lost Metal (Wax & Wayne 4) - sounds like it's outlined
* The Aztlanian (Rithmatist 2) - Six months ago he was still doing research. Now he says it might be the next project after Stormlight 3. 
* A "new teen project to follow up the Reckoners."  This could be Dark One, a YA series he mentioned in the last State of the Sanderson.  Or it could be something we've never heard of before. Brandon loves to surprise us. 

There are three other short projects that got mentioned in the last complete State of the Sanderson which were not mentioned in the most recent update. Given that these are all novella-length, and that Brandon works quickly, I think we should just be ready for any one of them to pop out without warning-- like Perfect State did.

* Lurker / Adamant - This is a science fiction novella with at least one draft finished. Last year he said he would revise it during 2015. Not sure if that's still the plan. 

* Silence Divine - to be renamed - novella - did readings from it in 2014.

* Legion 3 - He says he has no ideas yet, but these seem to come quickly.

LONGER TERM 

This far out, any real prediction is impossible. Not that it stops us from trying, of course. (You can find another good effort here, with the information presented as a flowchart.) 

Stormlight 5 - 2020, if we get a new one about every two years

Elantris sequels - He says he'll do these after Stormlight 5 if he hasn't done them before then. 

Mistborn 1980s-era - After Elantris sequels 

NIghtblood (Warbreaker 2) - Probably after Elantris sequels

Stormlights 6-10
Mistborn SF series

Dragonsteel - after Stormlight 10 - Coming soon, in 2031!

So the bottom line is that we're in for lots of good stories for decades to come. 

• 2 months later...

Any further news on White Sand? I read his blog posts and the tweets. I even found a little something on The Coppermind. I was just wondering if anything further had been released?

Not too much. It's coming along, and they (Sanderson and Peter Ahlstorm) appear to be working closely with Dynamite to get the art right. So it will show up, but I am doubtful that it will be this year.

• 4 weeks later...

Any further news on White Sand? I read his blog posts and the tweets. I even found a little something on The Coppermind. I was just wondering if anything further had been released?

I asked Peter on Twitter on July... that's the answer (not much, but...)

https://twitter.com/PeterAhlstrom/status/616278589441355776

As of last week Peter currently believes that a release of early next year is more likely.

The thing is Brandon wants the whole process to be fairly far along before anything is released (which he talks about here)

Yeah, I've given up on seeing it this year, but do find the reason Brandon gave for the long production time to be satisfying.

It's just these radio-silences on the matter! Argh!

It's not really radio silence on this one. We just don't want it to get hyped prematurely.

New pages keep coming in all the time. We just got the final pencils on page 17 of chapter 4 today. The book is 6 chapters long. Chapter 1 has been colored and lettered. I think chapter 2 has been colored as well.

• 5 weeks later...

Riding the hype train while reading SoS right now. I don't know if I'll be able to wait until January for BoM so... What do we now about The Lost Metal? Is still a 2017 thing? Could it be a late 2016 thing? Y____Y