Is splintering bad?

High prince of geeks

Okay my question is splintering bad. Now many of you are going to say "YES!!" simply because that's what sodium does, and that it makes it harder to fight him. But look at self, what evidence do we have that the guaranteed being splintered has led to anything bad. In fact it might actually be beneficial seating as there is no creature with God like power working towards a single minded goal. All in all splintering at this point only seems bad because it makes it more likely for sodium to win, but it might be beneficial to do it peacefully.

that's what sodium does,

You might want to turn off Auto-Correct.

Also, Elantris. That place was fueled by the corpses of two shattered shards. Before they shattered, they could (Probably) control what tye of Investitures systems there were. Now anyone can make a way to access the systems.

Odium must be so afraid of sodium now. :P (Please don't mind. The sodium thing left me in splits) An upvote for the humor.

Anyway, I think splintering matters only to the Shardholders. The people on the world don't have to worry as the Shardsplinters still remain invested on the planet. Besides the Cosmere expanded to several planets only due to the shattering of big A. Can't find anything wrong with that.

Edited by Twenty@20

The Almighty says that Odium could be beaten by a champion, so long as Odium believes he could lose. That champion could be Harmony, which is a full two shards (isn't it?), but it could also be a splinter like Kaladin. It could be a bad thing simply because it makes controlling Odium more difficult, but it could be that it doesn't matter.

The Almighty says that Odium could be beaten by a champion, so long as Odium believes he could lose. That champion could be Harmony, which is a full two shards (isn't it?), but it could also be a splinter like Kaladin. It could be a bad thing simply because it makes controlling Odium more difficult, but it could be that it doesn't matter.

The idea is making Odium believe his minions would lose an all-out war like the Desolations, so he would choose a champion, who would fight (in whatever way that fight would happen) the Rosharan's champion. Honor believed Odium would be bound by the outcome of that fight so that was the advice he gave Dalinar. He never said anything about a champion fighting Odium himself. If that was going to work, I'd imagine he'd have beaten Odium by himself, since he was almost certainly more powerful than any potential champion. Not to mention Devotion or Dominion.

Relevant quotes:

“I wish I could do more,” repeated the figure in gold. “You might be able to get him to choose a champion. He is bound by some rules. All of us are. A champion could work well for you, but it is not certain. And… without the Dawnshards… Well, I have done what I can. It is a terrible, terrible thing to leave you alone.”

“Create a fortress that can weather the storm. Vex Odium, convince him that he can lose, and appoint a champion. He will take that chance instead of risking defeat again, as he has suffered so often. This is the best advice I can give you.”

56523189.jpg

Bahaha, sorry, couldn't resist. >.< That was my immediate thought when reading the thread title. :P

But as far as the actual thread matter, I suppose it depends on the viewpoint. For the Shardholder, and people who are probably currently attuned to that Shard's Intent, it could be quite a horrible thing. But as far as the long run, once everything gets settled out, would things be 'better overall' for the normal people just living in the worlds? Again, I guess it depends on the results of the actual Shard being Splintered.

But then again, we did know of one thing that was kind of Splintered, or at the very least definitely Shattered. Andonalsium. And that turned out more or less not horrible, I suppose. O.o (Although the people of Yolen will probably give us a big RAFO on how that one worked out....) ((Waiting for Dragonsteel to find out. :P))

Is Kaladin a splinter? I though Honorspren existed before, so they aren't splinters.

Kaladin is not a splinter, splinters are not human.  Syl, as an honorspren, is a splinter though.  Also Shards can voluntarily splinter off portions of their power without being Splintered, as is the case with Endowment and the divine Breath and Honor and Cultivation and the spren. (that's a lot of ands...)

Ok, thanks for the clarification Weiry.

So I guess that means splintering is bad because:

Odium has less enemies.

The consciousness behind the shard is gone.

But it is better when voluntary, and allows certain systems to even work.

• Chaos locked this topic