Is Hoid always Hoid

Surgebound Rainspren

I know this will sound dumb. But does it say anywhere that that Hoid is allays The Hoid.

for example, is the Hoid in Mistborn the same one as the one from Stormlight archive or the one in warbreaker. 

Is Hoid just a name for a group of identical meddling worldhoppers that aren't actually the same. 

We have pretty heft WoB that they're all the same guy, and not just a coincidence. I'd dig up the quotes, but I'm lazy, it's late, and somebody will inevitably snipe me regardless. Considering the agenda, appearance, personality, talents, and general similarities of the Hoids, alongside Word of Brandon, we're fairly certain it's the same guy.

From what I've read Hoid is actually a title passed from master to student. Although throughout the cosmere stories Hoid is in fact the same person. The only exception I know of is in the Liar of Partinel. That novel (unreleased) has a Hoid who is thought to be the teacher of the Hoid in all other cosmere novels.

Brandon Sanderson has said that the Hoid from the published stories was present at the shattering so it's fair to say the Hoid in all published cosmere stories is all the same person.

Hoid says that "Hoid" is not his real name anyway. He just goes by it because it's the name of his beloved teacher. If it were a title, the Sigzil would be "Hoid" as well. That's obviously not the case, so Hoid just uses the name as a sign of respect to his teacher. It's the same guy in all of the published books.

• Chaos locked this topic