Orem Library Signing on December 6

Newan

Thanks! I'm slightly ashamed that I don't know what verbatim means, but I recorded it and then transcribed it if that's what you mean.

You got it right: "in exactly the same words as were used originally." Thanks for going to the trouble, as getting exact words can be quite crucial at times.

I got my first RAFO card today! (and I'll probably get more) I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry. Probably both.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Newan was right behind me the whole time. Sorry I was too shy to say anything at the time.  :ph34r:  :mellow:

Once I have a few more RAFO cards, I want to laminate them all into a sheet and have Brandon sign it.  

It's ok.  Were you the one reading Eye of the World? (bad habit: whenever somebody is reading a kindle, I peek to try and see if I can guess which book it is.)

Only Zach said hi to me, and I was there for the first 3 hours.

Peter, I said hi to you!  As we were walking out of the building, I said "Peter Ahlstrom!  Thanks for always answering questions on Twitter and 17th Shard!"  I was wearing a black hat.  

Here were my questions.  This is from memory, so it isn't verbatim, but zas678 wrote down the answers as I was asking them.

Newan:  Is the kandra worldhopper MeLaan?

Brandon:  Good question.  *hands me a RAFO card*  In upcoming Mistborn books, you are going to get to know a lot more of the kandra, so you will have a lot more options.  

Newan:  Ooh.  When the kandra worldhopper is off-world, er off-Scadrial, does she take the form of a human female?  

Brandon:  Not all of the time.  

Newan: Has she spoken a word of dialogue in a non-Mistborn book?  

Brandon:  I can't remember.  

Newan: Ok I have one more question.  Is there some kind of connection between Szeth and Yelig-nar, the Unmade?  

Brandon:  Hmm... Szeth has no more of a connection with Yelig-nar than anyone else does.  

Newan: Thank you so much!

Newan: Ok I have one more question.  Is there some kind of connection between Szeth and Yelig-nar, the Unmade?  

Brandon:  Hmm... Szeth has no more of a connection with Yelig-nar than anyone else does. 

Hmm... That is either good, or really, really troubling...

It's ok.  Were you the one reading Eye of the World? (bad habit: whenever somebody is reading a kindle, I peek to try and see if I can guess which book it is.)

Yes, that was me. And you guessed right (unless I told you at some point what I was reading, but I don't really remember).

Yes, that was me. And you guessed right (unless I told you at some point what I was reading, but I don't really remember).

You didn't tell me, but I saw the names "Egwene" and "Elyas" on the same page.  

Peter, I said hi to you!  As we were walking out of the building, I said "Peter Ahlstrom!  Thanks for always answering questions on Twitter and 17th Shard!"  I was wearing a black hat.  

Eh heh heh, I forgot. But now I remember. :)

Next time talk to me more... Zach is cool, but I had already seen him twice in the last month.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

Eh heh heh, I forgot. But now I remember. :)

Next time talk to me more... Zach is cool, but I had already seen him twice in the last month.

I will.  I would have said hi earlier, but I arrived half an hour late, so I was in the line for a really long time, and then I had to hurry out.  

Peter, you never come to the Out East signings, or I'd say hi to you.

I still remember the time I met an attractive woman at a signing, she was impressed that my friend and I made our own Seons, and when I asked her if she was a fan of Mr. Sanderson, she replied, "Well, I married him, so yes?"

Nice Q&A!

I was particularly interested by the confirmation that Odium's influence is mediated through the Unmade, and that the Stormfather is a Cognitive Shadow.

(I still have no idea how that works.)

The implications for the Nightwatcher are interesting.

Edit: Can you confirm he literally said that the Stormfather was a Cognitive Shadow, or did he mean like a Cognitive Shadow in the sense that the mists were kinda-sorta like one? Your post doesn't seem like direct confirmation.

The Kelsier bit on Cognitive Shadows is odd - is our entire understanding of them wrong? Did Kelsier actually "move on", so to speak, and Cognitive Shadows aren't really the person, just... flawed "copies" of their Cognitive aspect?

Edited by Ookla the Infinite

Thank you, zas! Thanks for including my worldhopper questions. It made me feel good about myself.

Quick question. Who is the Mistress?

Also, was the mass exodus from the planet talked about by the Parshendi? I think Eshoni's mother talks about it in a song, but I'm not sure.

Edited by Arthur Dent

Nice coming back gift, Zas. :)

Some cool stuff; a fair amount that's more confirmatory than revelatory. The "walking for space travel" theory has been around for awhile, Baxil's mistress is nice to nail down with WoB...

The question about Shai seems to nail down that Forging likely can't mimic things that actually require their own Investiture (so no creating Awakened objects of the like) all on its own.

@Dent

"The Mistress" is also known as "Baxil's Mistress", and is what some call the woman who smashes up/defaces art in the interlude in WoK.

So far as the mass exodus goes, that seems to be pointing to the Iriali and their Long Path (not sure if I'm remembering nouns/spellings right).

Edited by Kurkistan

Wow, zas, that is a lot of great questions!  Confirmations and answers of several things I thought would be RAFO, and also some insightful connections I hadn't thought of before. Well done! (Also thanks to those who contributed questions.)

Of particular note, (or needing clarification):

• Odium's influence on people is necessarily via the Unmade
  • "Odium is able to influence all 3 moving planets in the Rosharian system." Um, does that imply that there are non-moving planets? Or is it just the way it was said?
  • We have me the "Ones Above" from Sixth
  • Vapors is Scadrial (I'd guessed that wrong before.) Do we have any other confirmations for expanse/shardworld identities?
  • The RAFO about Taravangian's spiritual/cognitive sliding scale is interesting. Sounds like we're on the right track at least.
Edited by ccstat