Allomantic Symbols/Alphabet

Oxinabox

I'm sure I've seen the symbols in SVG form somewhere.

symbolComparison%5B2%5D.jpg

Does anyone have them in individualised SVG form?

I could always vector trace the images I have here and break them up, if I can't find them.

I'm looking to make them into a font and then use them as part of my Alloy of Law fan-suppliment for Crafty Games Mistborn RPG

Edited by Oxinabox

I don't think that I've seen the AoL era symbols around either. They are fairly close to the TFE symbols, though. Let me know if there are any individualized symbols made. I'm actually planning on making some flashcards for myself to learn the alphabets. (as well as the Aons & Alethi) Can anyone recommend a free program that I could use to make some fairly good quality ones myself?

you should check out Isaac Stewart's website for the symbols in the trilogy.

You mean these?

Not individualised, a start though.

Perhaps I will have to do it

Interestingly he provides 3 sets of symbols:

mb01_SYMBOLS-webres.jpg

mb02_SYMBOLS-webres.jpg

mb03_SYMBOLS-webres.jpg

set 1, lookslike the bottom symbols from my post before

set 2, lookslike the top symbols, but with fifferent brush strokes (Peter said the top ones were were from the Well of Ascension)

and set 3 is different again. Theyaren't they heamolurgy symbols are they? Or are they the ancient ones Joe ST mentioned.

(there was a thread going around before sepeculating on heumalurgic symbols, I likedhte ideaof htem as a grid, indicating, abstractly where particular spikes should go)

Joe ST, you said you had some of the symbols already? can you upload them?

Can anyone recommend a free program that I could use to make some fairly good quality ones myself?

Any image editor to break big images into a number of little ones (just cut and paste.

Paint would probably do (might even be easiest)

Then Inkscape, using the "Trace Bitmap" feature to convert them to SVG

Edited by Oxinabox

Those symbols are getting progressively older. The set from the TFE was the Steel Alphabet at that time, the set from WoA is from around the Ascension I believe, and the set from HoA was from Classical Scadrial, long before the Ascension. The symbols were shaped off the the mists originally, which is why you can see them getting progressively more mist-like as you go back. There is a fourth set in AoL that is very similar to those in TFE but a bit more modern. The Terris symbols are also a variant of the Steel Alphabet, they are descended from the same language I believe. Be warned, if you chop up those chapter icon images, they end up getting a little bit blurry.

Be warned, if you chop up those chapter icon images, they end up getting a little bit blurry.

All depends on technique.

Running them through SVG tracing makes the sharp, but i'm yet to find a nice balance doing the trace that"Over stylise" them. if I don't smooth cornered the come out with the circle arcs being polygons

i'm loosing my sharp corners, and this makes the spikes look bad.

I'm also loosing perfect circles but I think that could be solved by preproccessing the bitmap images to make there be less specling around the circles, this might also solve my arc problem

A sample: SVG on top, Raster original on bottom. at high zoom.

11lqzxc.png

Wow, they look fantastic. We can chalk that up to my computer ignorance haha. No one has had any trouble with viruses and inkscape correct? I've done a quick google search and it seems there have been some reports of trojans, but other have said that they were just false positives, so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

Wow, they look fantastic. We can chalk that up to my computer ignorance haha. No one has had any trouble with viruses and inkscape correct? I've done a quick google search and it seems there have been some reports of trojans, but other have said that they were just false positives, so I'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

Inkscape is completely legit. (I guess there is the possiblity someone has created a fake version, with a Fake site)

I wouldn't sa they look fantastic. They look alright.

you realise we have high-dpi copies of all of the symbols on the wiki? I'll upload the svg's I used to create them when I get home.

That was what I was waiting to hear.

Thanks.

Edited by Oxinabox

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks,

just got round to using them

For anyone who is interested here is how the RPG assigns the symbols on the character sheet.

I beleive they are basically just there for decoration, but there is at least some meaning going on:

Atium - Action Dice

Lerasium - Defense dice

Brass - Advancements

Bronze - Secrets known

Cadmium - Standing

Cerobend - Traits and burdens

Copper - Powers

Gold - Equiptment

Iron - Attributes

Pewter - Resilience

Steel - Destiny

Zinc - Tragedy