What is Aona's Shard name?

Chaos

It'd be more than coincidental.  Aona is very obviously meant to be related to Aons, and Brandon has referred to the Skaze (which very obviously links to Skai) as evil Seons.  We're talking about an author who created an entire language for Way of Kings that could literally be deciphered and translated into English, as seen with Navani's sketchbook.  Someone who puts that kind of care and effort into the smallest details of his created worlds, including their languages and naming conventions, does not give two Shards names that are only letters away from highly important aspects of their worlds' theology and magic systems by coincidence, only design.  The only way Aona is not linked to Aons and Skai to Skaze is if the similarity in names was put there as a red herring, which although possible, is very much not Brandon's style...especially when you consider that if he did not want us to link the Shards' names to Aons and Skaze, he could have simply...not given us their names, or referred to them by their Aspect like Ruin or Preservation...or simply not said which world they were on, that Odium visited. 

Yes, we take a lot on assumption when speculating about things that haven't been spelled out in the books yet like this, but we have to take SOME things on assumption, or else what's the point of speculating at all?  If we HAD all the facts we would already know the answers, and if we just resigned ourselves to waiting for all the facts, well, again...why bother speculating then?

As for Aona, I was rereading Elantris today (gee, wonder why, lol) and at the point where Raoden repairs the Aon  for the city, he describes the power that bursts forth, the energy of the Dor, as undiluted purity, which makes me think that could also be a fitting name for Aona's shard...Purity, the unstained natural state of the land, souls, etc. 

I wasn't saying that Aona was unrelated to Aons, (I figure it's obvious that Aona IS related to Aons) I was saying that we haven't got enough evidence yet for me to feel confident that the shardholder we've dubbed Relief is Aona and not Skai. The only real evidence we have one way or another is the pool's proximity to Elantris, and that's certainly not a death blow to Skai being Relief given that Preservation had no obvious magical influence around his own pool, and it was quite possible for it to be moved using his power.

• 2 weeks later...

Aether has not really been cannibalized so far. There is one concept that is similar but not close enough to be considered cannibalized.  When we last spoke to Brandon about Aether, Peter and he were trying to decide if Aether would be cosmere cannon or not. He said he had selected to make it a cosmere book (which in all reality it should be) but he may change that in the future. 

• 2 weeks later...

So... back to the original topic. (which will seem off topic to the preceding posts)

My nomination for Aona's shard name is Unity.

Shu-Keseg, the parent religion of Shu-Dereth and Shu-Korathi, is based on Keseg's teachings of unity. It just seemed to be a strong enough recurring theme to deserve a mention. Plus it's mildly all encompassing.

The pool can be explained through this idea of unity, in a way similar to the idea of harmony. Based on Andrew's theories (Which I support whole heartedly), when Elantrians go and dissolve in the pool, in what I believe to be Aona's pool, they join Aona. Their Splinter, or whatever it is that gives them their power, returns to her, thus they have unity with her. I like to think of it in the Dula way of the Dor. It is the life force that motivates all, and as you die, the life force returns, and has unity with the rest of the Dor.

I also felt like the Fall of Elantris, and all the broken Aons were caused by a disunity with the geography.

It's evidenced in the religions and in certain aspects of the magic, plus Shuden talks about Unity specifically, so I think it has a decent chance of being the right name.

• Chaos locked this topic