Character's Perception Altered

maxal

Alright. Time for another light topic. The question is simple: which character has reading posts on this forum helped you changed your perception of?

For me, the answer is quite simple: Szeth.

I started it of by passionately hating Szeth. I strongly disliked him and I had put him on my antagonist list. I was annoyed at his revival as I thought death was all he deserved.

Discussions on this forum helped me changed my views of him. Through many threads I have come to change my perception of Szeth as a whole. I have come to see him as a much trouble man, completely brainwashed by his people into obeying an unjust law and since Szeth is a naturally just person, he could not find any way around it. He was thus place into an impossible situation where no matter what he did, he ended up disobeying a law. He was forced to kill people despite a potentially pacific nature and he hated himself for it.

I have also come to appreciate his skill as a fighter and his incredible use of his surges, which is still unparalleled.

I am very happy this forum helped me built myself a completely new opinion of him as I once felt very distressed at the thought of reading a book solely dedicated on him.

Szeth is still not my favorite characters' list, but he is on my list of "characters I am now interested in reading about" which is a huge improvement.

So what is yours?

For me, it was Renarin. (Not that I ever thought he was evil, I just didn't realize what an amazing person he was because I was so focused on Dalinar, Adolin, Kaladin, and Shallan.)

My reaction to Szeth was a wild, roller coaster of switching between "Szeth is evil." and "Szeth is a misguided person forced to do evil and deserves my sympathy, though now I'm just curious what he's going to do in book three.

Kaladin would have to be mine. He was originally my favorite character. After reading many of the more recent posts, I've started to realize he is always depressed (which I guess is to be expected in his situation). It's not like I hate him now or anything, just after reading about him on the forums, I've realized characters like Szeth and Dalinar strike me as more interesting.

Although I might have to reserve a special spot here for Stick. I hardly even considered him a character after my first read through of WoR, but after reading some topics, Stick has earned a special place in my heart.

... "I am a stick"

Kaladin would have to be mine. He was originally my favorite character. After reading many of the more recent posts, I've started to realize he is always depressed (which I guess is to be expected in his situation). It's not like I hate him now or anything, just after reading about him on the forums, I've realized characters like Szeth and Dalinar strike me as more interesting.

That's interesting... I had characters we didn't initially like in mind as I did not think the forum was powerful enough to make us dislike characters we strongly felt about.

It's not a dislike so much as a "bringing down to earth". I originally had him held at such a high level, that after reading about him here, I realized he isn't actually the most amazing character in m opinion. I still think he's really awesome, I just have started to pay attention to other characters more. So basically, the forum made way for me to like more than just one character.

It's not a dislike so much as a "bringing down to earth". I originally had him held at such a high level, that after reading about him here, I realized he isn't actually the most amazing character in m opinion. I still think he's really awesome, I just have started to pay attention to other characters more. So basically, the forum made way for me to like more than just one character.

Well, I am glad we are helping you see other characters in a favorable light. SA is a multi-POV story, so to care only about one character makes for a very long read :D

So it is Szeth and Dalinar for you? Szeth has a way to grow on you when you start to discuss him as for Dalinar, I was already sold out on him before coming here ;)

For me, it was Renarin. (Not that I ever thought he was evil, I just didn't realize what an amazing person he was because I was so focused on Dalinar, Adolin, Kaladin, and Shallan.)

This.  I think that my thoughts, if pressed, on Renarin would have been "He's Adolin's brother...right?  I think that's his brother's name, anyway."  Substantially changed/improved because of reading on the forums.

My reaction to Szeth was a wild, roller coaster of switching between "Szeth is evil." and "Szeth is a misguided person forced to do evil and deserves my sympathy, though now I'm just curious what he's going to do in book three.

Not this.  I started off sympathetic with Szeth, and have grown less and less so.  But, no need to go into particulars here, as this thread isn't about how awful Szeth is.  I do enjoy how very much I hate him, though, so there's that, but I have a feeling it's going to go away by the end of Book 3 if Sanderson tries to make him sympathetic again.

• Chaos locked this topic