It is a thousand days, and the Everstorm comes...

Oudeis

This, the first epigraph of the book, a death rattle, was collected on the First Day of the week of Palah in the month of Shallash in the year 1171.

According to this document which is simply too fancy for me to doubt, the Everstorm itself came on the third day of the week Ishi of the month Ishi.

For anyone keeping track, that's 1,229 days later. I guess the Death Rattle was going more for poetic impact that technical accuracy, but it was remarkably close.

• 1 month later...

Or alternatively, the key events leading up to the Everstorm occur 229 days before the actual summoning of the Everstorm.  Someone had to have given Venli information about Stormform and the spren necessary for it, after all.  I wouldn't say that 229 days is "remarkably close", it's off by about 25%.

I saw the death rattles as Taln's whiny way of saying "I suffered forever for you people and now you just are going to let this stupid thing happen. Ungrateful idiots."

Maybe I am wrong, but that's what I thought they were.

I thought the same thing as far as some of them being Taln's thoughts or words.  I didn't think he was "whining" really considering he'd been being totured for thousands of years.  I also didn't think they all were from him though.  Don't some of them represent Kaladin and other events that, as far as we know, Taln wouldn't have any way of knowing about?  Or am I thinking of other Epigraphs?  The Kaladin one I am referring to is "All is withdrawn for me. I stand against the one who saved my life. I protect the one who killed my promises. I raise my hand. The storm responds."  I'm not sure who the one who saved his life is, but I am pretty sure the promise killer is the King and he raises his hand and the Syl comes back to him.  

I never thought of them as Taln's words.  Do we know for sure that's what they were?  Since they as foreseeing the future, I thought of them as some message from a shard holder.

I have never seen anything saying they are.  I don't even really think they are.  I just had the thought while reading that they might be when some of them say things about fire and pain and all that.  I would guess they're actually visions of either past or future desolations.  But some of them sound like someone being tortured in hell is all.

I have no WoB on it and it never says it in the text. It's my personal theory that it is Taln talking through dying people in a similar way that Ruin was able to influence people with Spikes. When they are close to death is when Taln could break through and let his voice be heard. If I'm right it is someone being tortured in Hell.

We have from the text that Taravangian, at least, believes the Death Rattles are 1. from one of the Unmade, and 2. a thing potentially useful to augment the Diagram.

Also, as has been pointed out, while a few specific Rattles seem to be from Taln, several others seem to be from Kaladin, and many others seem to be up in the air. It's widely believed based on the text that some, but by no means all, of the Rattles are from Taln's perspective.

Two more Kaladin Death Rattles:

"He must pick it up, the fallen title! The tower, the crown, and the spear!" (chapter 53)

The spear refers to Kaladin, and the tower and the crown refer to Dalinar (or possibly his sons). The Kholin glyphpair as used by Dalinar is stylized into the shape of a tower and a crown.

"Above the final void I hang, friends behind, friends before. The feast I must drink clings to their faces, and the words I must speak spark in my mind. The old oaths will be spoken anew." (chapter 59)

This refers to Kaladin rescuing Dalinar's army from the Tower. He jumps away from the bridgemen (friends behind) and towards the Alethi army (friends before). The Parshendi have beards woven with infused gemstones (the feast I must drink clings to their faces). Kaladin suddenly knows the second Ideal of the Windrunners (the words I must speak spark in my mind). He speaks the old oaths.

• Chaos locked this topic