Shardblades Question (spoilers)

bobsaveg

This may have been discussed already but I couldn't find it so hear it goes.

So kaladin 's and Shallan's shardblades can turn into any weapon as far as we have seen. Kaladin's also turns into a shield. My question is what do you think the limit is to what form they can take? Could a shardblade turn into a set of handcuffs or a chain? This would be useful for holding/imprisoning shard bearers for a short time. I only thought of it because when Dalanar confronts Amaram and lets him go he states that you can't imprison a shard bearer they can just cut themselves free.

This may have been discussed already but I couldn't find it so hear it goes.

So kaladin 's and Shallan's shardblades can turn into any weapon as far as we have seen. Kaladin's also turns into a shield. My question is what do you think the limit is to what form they can take? Could a shardblade turn into a set of handcuffs or a chain? This would be useful for holding/imprisoning shard bearers for a short time. I only thought of it because when Dalanar confronts Amaram and lets him go he states that you can't imprison a shard bearer they can just cut themselves free.

As some manacles? 

I don't see why not.

Source:

Q: We've now seen that the Syl-Blade can change shape to meet Kaladin's needs. Is there a limit to the size that Syl can become?

A: As for the size, she can get up to about the size of a human.

Q: Okay, and is Syl limited to only weaponry, or can she take on the shape of other objects?

A: I'm gonna have to RAFO that.... (We take a picture together, and as I'm grabbing my books he says,) Though, to be fair, you have been seeing Syl change forms since the beginning of the books into many non-combat forms, so... (Fiendishly trails off)

Source:

Q: Syl gives Kaladin the choice to have any number of weapons or a shield. Pattern can be equally a sword or a small knife. Are spren limited to being items of war or could they be put to other uses? Could the surge binders less geared toward battle use their spren to make ladders, rope, etc?
A: No, this is not restricted to articles of war.

Hmm.

This makes me wonder if the Shardblades ability to cut anything is because of intent or something; they turn into giant swords (or spears, or axes, or whatever) with the intent of being able to fight, so they can cut through anything.

It makes me wonder how Sprenrope, or sprencuffs would work; would they be unbreakable? Capable of attaching themselves to things automatically?

(Actually, the latter makes me think of how Awakened rope works, which is kind of interesting.)

I've been watching Star Trek: Voyager and thinking about the eventual space-faring future of all the planets, and I've been imagining Be'lanna as an Engineer Radiant with a spren who turns into whatever Shardtool she needs to fix the device she's working on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic