Chana theory

Kyats Rani

Ok, at the beginning I"ll mention that I'm new to this site (discovered it at the beginning of this week) and generally to Brandon's work (I'm on my second re-read of WoR, I also read WoK twice, but not any other book - those were his first works I've come across), so I hope you won't mind much that there are any things I don't know :)

I've seen that we have WoB that by now all of the Heralds appeared somehow in the books, though I've already discovered how many theories are there about them, so little is known or sure (and that's what makes it all interesting). Of course we know about Nale and I definitely do agree with the theory of Shalash being Baxil's mistress, but alost nothing is sure about the others. I've seen theories about Jezrien, Pailiah and propably few others (I didn't yet go through half of the forum, so I may not know...). But I've done a search and found almost nothing about Chana. And I don't mean just theories of her current whereabouts, but anything at all about her.

Now, I must admit that Chana is my favourite Herald, even if we know next to nothing about her. It definitely has something to do with her association with the essence Spark (rubies, fire and so on - I'm completely for such things ;) ), but mostly it's about the order of Releasers, which seems the most interesting to me (along with Windrunners - but Releasers have in my opinion better attributes, and personally I think I'd like to be one of them). So since I like her so much, I tried to find her in the books. I know I may lack some information or the insight of someone accustomed to finding things in cosmere works, but I decided to try anyway.

Well, here goes my theory: what if Chana is Liss? I know it may be rather far-fetched, especially since I don't have very concrete proofs (but on the other hand I didn't find anything that would rule out that possibility - let me know if there is something about that I missed or misunderstood). Anyway, there go my arguments in support of this theory:

• I think I'm safe to say that it's widely believed that currently the Heralds are rather twisted versions of themselves. One of Chana's attributes is bravery, which brings to mind (at least to mine ;) ) the idea of straightforwardly going against the enemy. Assasination doesn't seem brave in that issue so it would fit into the "twisted Heralds" concept.
  • Another of Chana's attributes is obedience. This one would actually fit - in a way assasins obey the orders of those who hire them (and Liss didn't seem to defy Jasnah's will).
  • There is also the matter of Szeth - I don't have the book on me right now, so I'm not sure about the actual quote, but Liss mentioned that she felt there was something off about him. If my assumption is correct, then maybe she somehow sensed the Honorblade he had? (I don't know if that's even possible among the Heralds, but I think that maybe they had some means to identify each other or their Blades)

That would be it, as there is little information about either Chana or Liss. I know it's not very solid evidence, more like just some speculation, but maybe there is something in it? I don't think I saw anywhere in the books anyone else whom I've thought of possibly being Chana. I'm not sure about this, but I've seen somewhere (maybe on this forum?) that all of the Heralds attended the feast in the prologue (which would fit into my theory), but it's likely I'm mistaken on this. Besides I don't know how to explain the fact that Liss apparently posseses a Shardblade in the light of my theory (maybe she attracted a spren, maybe she won the Blade somehow, or maybe it's her own Honorblade? I honestly don't know, there is nothing to support any of those claims). But on the other hand I didn't find any real evidence against my idea...

Well, what do you think about it? Is there any chance of Liss actually being Chana? Maybe there is not enough evidence as of yet about that to say anything, or maybe I overlooked something important that would prove me wrong? I'd really like to know other opinions, especially from those with more knowledge about Brandon Sanderson's works :D

Ok, at the beginning I"ll mention that I'm new to this site (discovered it at the beginning of this week) and generally to Brandon's work (I'm on my second re-read of WoR, I also read WoK twice, but not any other book - those were his first works I've come across), so I hope you won't mind much that there are any things I don't know :)

I've seen that we have WoB that by now all of the Heralds appeared somehow in the books, though I've already discovered how many theories are there about them, so little is known or sure (and that's what makes it all interesting). Of course we know about Nale and I definitely do agree with the theory of Shalash being Baxil's mistress, but alost nothing is sure about the others. I've seen theories about Jezrien, Pailiah and propably few others (I didn't yet go through half of the forum, so I may not know...). But I've done a search and found almost nothing about Chana. And I don't mean just theories of her current whereabouts, but anything at all about her.

Now, I must admit that Chana is my favourite Herald, even if we know next to nothing about her. It definitely has something to do with her association with the essence Spark (rubies, fire and so on - I'm completely for such things ;) ), but mostly it's about the order of Releasers, which seems the most interesting to me (along with Windrunners - but Releasers have in my opinion better attributes, and personally I think I'd like to be one of them). So since I like her so much, I tried to find her in the books. I know I may lack some information or the insight of someone accustomed to finding things in cosmere works, but I decided to try anyway.

Well, here goes my theory: what if Chana is Liss? I know it may be rather far-fetched, especially since I don't have very concrete proofs (but on the other hand I didn't find anything that would rule out that possibility - let me know if there is something about that I missed or misunderstood). Anyway, there go my arguments in support of this theory:

• I think I'm safe to say that it's widely believed that currently the Heralds are rather twisted versions of themselves. One of Chana's attributes is bravery, which brings to mind (at least to mine ;) ) the idea of straightforwardly going against the enemy. Assasination doesn't seem brave in that issue so it would fit into the "twisted Heralds" concept.
  • Another of Chana's attributes is obedience. This one would actually fit - in a way assasins obey the orders of those who hire them (and Liss didn't seem to defy Jasnah's will).
  • There is also the matter of Szeth - I don't have the book on me right now, so I'm not sure about the actual quote, but Liss mentioned that she felt there was something off about him. If my assumption is correct, then maybe she somehow sensed the Honorblade he had? (I don't know if that's even possible among the Heralds, but I think that maybe they had some means to identify each other or their Blades)

That would be it, as there is little information about either Chana or Liss. I know it's not very solid evidence, more like just some speculation, but maybe there is something in it? I don't think I saw anywhere in the books anyone else whom I've thought of possibly being Chana. I'm not sure about this, but I've seen somewhere (maybe on this forum?) that all of the Heralds attended the feast in the prologue (which would fit into my theory), but it's likely I'm mistaken on this. Besides I don't know how to explain the fact that Liss apparently posseses a Shardblade in the light of my theory (maybe she attracted a spren, maybe she won the Blade somehow, or maybe it's her own Honorblade? I honestly don't know, there is nothing to support any of those claims). But on the other hand I didn't find any real evidence against my idea...

Well, what do you think about it? Is there any chance of Liss actually being Chana? Maybe there is not enough evidence as of yet about that to say anything, or maybe I overlooked something important that would prove me wrong? I'd really like to know other opinions, especially from those with more knowledge about Brandon Sanderson's works :D

Well, the Shin likely have Chana's Honourblade. If Liss were Chana, however, it wouldn't be hard for her to get a Shardblade in the course of four thousand years. 

Aside from that, assuming the Heralds talk as Shallash, Nale and Wimp seem to it'd be odd for Liss to not know that Szeth had Jezrien's Honourblade because those Heralds do.

I don't think it's impossible, especially as Liss is notably slippery, but I do think it's a little unlikely. 

Well, the Shin likely have Chana's Honourblade. If Liss were Chana, however, it wouldn't be hard for her to get a Shardblade in the course of four thousand years. 

Aside from that, assuming the Heralds talk as Shallash, Nale and Wimp seem to it'd be odd for Liss to not know that Szeth had Jezrien's Honourblade because those Heralds do.

I don't think it's impossible, especially as Liss is notably slippery, but I do think it's a little unlikely. 

I'm fully aware that it's kind of unlikely, but as I said, Chana is by now my favourite Herald so I'd really like to "find" her in the books. And Liss seems to me as the only one that Chana could possibly be, what doesn't mean that the theory is more likely because of that ;)

As for Jezrien's Honorblade - you're right, she propably would've known. But there are still many possibilities like she only found out this fact after meeting Szeth. And maybe she decided to sell him (or whatever she did to get him away from her) to make sure that such close proximity to the Honorblade won't cause her to meet with Jezrien (or other Herald) as they decided not to seek each other after parting, which in my book means also avoiding possible causes of contact.

And regardless of this - no matter if Liss is Chana (or any other Herald for that matter), I don't think she would simply tell Jasnah that she got rid of him because he possesed the Honorblade.

And regardless of this - no matter if Liss is Chana (or any other Herald for that matter), I don't think she would simply tell Jasnah that she got rid of him because he possesed the Honorblade.

This, pretty much. Just because Liss doesn't tell Jasnah, "Oh, yeah, he totally has one of the Honorblades" it doesn't mean she didn't know.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind we don't necessarily know that Nale and Wimp (I assume he's Kelek) simply have Honordar and can tell when someone has an honorblade. Maybe they actually saw him wield it, or noted his powers. Szeth says he believes he's killed everyone who knows of his ability, but he could be wrong. After all, Nale's purpose in life is to hunt down those who exhibit a Nahel bond and kill them. While most people wouldn't see dun spheres and a few odd events as evidence of lost and forgotten powers, Nale does, and maybe he investigated Szeth, only deciding not to kill him once he determined that he was using an Honorblade, not a nahel bond.

Or maybe they simply know what Truthless means and that it apparently comes with an Honorblade.

Edited by Outis

• Chaos locked this topic