Trellism

Windrunner

So, I'm going to preface here by saying that the basis of this idea here is not my own. Everything here hinges on the idea that Trellism is a religion from the people from the Southern Hemisphere, something that someone else suggested, though I cannot remember who. If it was you, give me a shout out and a link to your post, and I'll properly credit you.

Anyway, Brandon has said this about the people from the Southern Hemisphere:

COMATOSE (18 OCTOBER 2008)
So here's my last question. If there ARE people on the other side of the world, did Vin kill them all by placing the sun on their side, or do they have they're own Ruin/Preservation battle going on over there as well? Do they also have allomancy feruchemy and hemalurgy?
BRANDON SANDERSON (20 OCTOBER 2008)
No, they're not dead. Yes, Rashek was aware of them. In fact, he placed them there as a reserve. I knew he wanted a 'control' group of people in case his changes to genetics ended with the race being in serious trouble. All I'll say is that he found a way other than changing them genetically to help them survive in the world he created. And since they were created by Ruin and Preservation, they have the seeds of the Three Metallic Arts in them—though without anyone among them having burned Lerasium, Allomancers would have been very rare in their population and full Mistborn unheard of.
Source

So this made me think, what happens when a Ferring or Misting is born on this other side of the planet. In the times before Rashek's Ascension, both Allomancy and Feruchemy were relatively unknown. So lets say in the widespread destruction of the Ascension, the survivors in the south had a substantial amount of Trelagalists. In the centuries that follow, there are people born, people with powers that you have never seen or heard of before. Allomancy and Feruchemy would appear miraculous to anyone who saw their power. And what does a religious group do when some strange miraculous happenings occur? They attribute it to the supernatural, Trell has obviously blessed these men. Over time the religion would slowly adapt, and eventually come to be called Trellism.

I cannot explain why Miles found references to it in the Words of Founding. Perhaps it sprang up near the end as the first Allomancers were being discovered, a new sect that Keepers recorded. It would have been a minor one that Sazed probably wouldn't have mentioned ever, especially not to Vin, who was so uncomfortable with being holy to one religion let alone two. Sazed would have included it in the comprehensive Words of Founding though. It seems that the Southerners are somehow interacting with the people of Elendel. (Evidence: Red and Gold cigars) Anyway, either they convert Miles or he becomes curious and reaserces it. Maybe Sazed saw it after he Ascendeded it and added it to his knowledge and the Words of Founding.

No matter how this religion ended up in the Words of Founding, in my mind this is very good evidence that the people from the South are responsible for making Miles believe that Allomancers are divine. What does everyone else think? Edited by Windrunner

• 1 year later...

Trellism did exist long ago, and Sazed did know of it. In fact, it's one of the first religions he ever preaches, and the first we see him preach to Vin. It's also one of the last religions he ever reviews at the end of the third book, when he's trying to find the religion that is "true". Trell watches through the million eyes of the stars, while his jealous brother makes his single eye (the sun) blaze brightly enough to wash them out of the sky during the day. People are encouraged to meditate upon questions and allow Trell to provide the answers.

We know only a very little bit of it, and we're not sure why Miles thinks that allomancers were chosen by Trell. It's possible in classic Scadrial, when Alendi was a Seeker so weak he didn't even understand what he was, people did notice odd instances of people with a specific set of unique abilities, and explained them via religion; only when allomancy became far more powerful would anyone have realized that this was what Trell was talking about.

Good catch on the cigars; I only noticed that myself just recently.

Actually, there's a distinction, as I mentioned in the theory. Trelagalism existed back then. Trellism is what Miles practices. They seem to have very different tenets as well. Sazed makes no mention of them revering Allomancers and Feruchemists, indeed they would not even know that such things existed. But they do worship the same god, which to me makes sense. Trelagalism, over the course of ~1367 years evolved into Trellism.

Actually, there's a distinction, as I mentioned in the theory. Tregalism existed back then. Trellism is what Miles practices. They seem to have very different tenets as well. Sazed makes no mention of them revering Allomancers and Feruchemists, indeed they would not even know that such things existed. But they do worship the same god, which to me makes sense. Tregalism, over the course of ~1367 years evolved into Trellism.

Interesting, interesting... where are you getting Tregalism from? I can't find Tregalism or Tregalist in my copies of any of the four books. Every instance I see, it's called Trellism.

Why would allomancers mysterically appear?

Those on the southern hemisphere would simply remain as they were, with only the very rare misting(or possibly ferring if that existed there too)

Without the addition of Lerasium it would be buisness as usual in the south?

Why would allomancers mysterically appear?

Those on the southern hemisphere would simply remain as they were, with only the very rare misting(or possibly ferring if that existed there too)

Without the addition of Lerasium it would be buisness as usual in the south?

I think he's saying, the very rare appearances of the occasional misting would defy explanation. The Deepness comes, and some people fall. The ones who arise... well they aren't quite the same again. (We know that they pick up trace metals from water and utensils, but they don't know that.) They simply see a woman who can sometimes exhibit unreasonable strength for a few moments; a man who seems unexpectedly able to sway those around him. Don't tease that little girl... when she gets scared, coins jump away from her briefly. It's tied to the Deepness somehow, it's very weak and barely explicable... but there are a few Deepstruck priests who seem to be able to tell when those like them are near. It'd be hard to replicate, as the mechanism isn't understood, so maybe most people don't even believe in it, but Trellists might believe. Maybe they think Trell has rewarded those who were struck by the Deepness, yet fought it off and persevered. Maybe it's the other way; perhaps Trell has already blessed a chosen few, and the Deepness knows, and so attacks them.

I'm not saying I believe this is true, I'm just trying to explain what I suspect Windrunner's theory is.

Hm. The problem I have with this is that Allomancy is probably weaker in the Southern population, unless they discovered lerasium as well. We have a quote from a HoA epigraph that Allomancy is a very different thing without that extra lerasium boost. How effective could Southern mistings be, I wonder? What is the lowest possible range of Allomantic power? 

I'm not arguing how powerful or effective they'd be, but they'd obviously still have some abilities. That's the point I'm making. Very occasionally, someone would come along who could do things that everyone else could only make happen with machines. I think it could be interpreted as some sort of divine blessing, like Miles thinks it is.

I'm not arguing how powerful or effective they'd be, but they'd obviously still have some abilities. That's the point I'm making. Very occasionally, someone would come along who could do things that everyone else could only make happen with machines. I think it could be interpreted as some sort of divine blessing, like Miles thinks it is.

Would they have any concept of Feruchemy though? Maybe that's the part that Miles is actually focusing on, since that's the ability that makes him and arguably Wax so powerful.

Would they have any concept of Feruchemy though? Maybe that's the part that Miles is actually focusing on, since that's the ability that makes him and arguably Wax so powerful.

1. They would absolutely have full feruchemists, as that's a thing that existed in classic Scadrial. See Rashek et al. Even if you don't believe my personal theory that Rashek would deliberately have left some feruchemists down south in order to preserve the genetic line, Terrismen like Kwaan were wanderers who traveled the world. There's every reason to believe they would have been in whatever random sampling ended up trapped at the South Pole.

2. In both Wax's and Miles's cases, it was their being twinborn that made them special. Granted, for Miles, being just a bloodmaker would have been more combat-useful than being just an auger, but in Wax's case, if he were merely a Skimmer that wouldn't have been anywhere near as interesting as someone being just a Coinshot. I'll grant you, the alchemical mixture of the two traits was far greater than either part, but if we do break it down to the components, Wax's feruchemy made a good power great. On its own, iron feruchemy is of extremely limited efficacy. Adding allomantic steel made a barely-useful power into an amazing one.

1. They would absolutely have full feruchemists, as that's a thing that existed in classic Scadrial. See Rashek et al. Even if you don't believe my personal theory that Rashek would deliberately have left some feruchemists down south in order to preserve the genetic line, Terrismen like Kwaan were wanderers who traveled the world. There's every reason to believe they would have been in whatever random sampling ended up trapped at the South Pole.

I think it is a bit premature to say they "absolutely have full feruchemists" we know next to nothing about the southern peoples, we can't make such definitive statements.  It is entirely possible, but we can say they do absolutely.

I think it is a bit premature to say they "absolutely have full feruchemists" we know next to nothing about the southern peoples, we can't make such definitive statements.  It is entirely possible, but we can say they do absolutely.

How about, "Considering the fact that they existed in Classic scadrial, and the entire thing was expressly designed as a genetic reserve by Rashek, it strains credulity to believe that Southern Scadrians would NOT have full feruchemists"?

I think it depends at the time period you look at it. I think they easily could have started with full Feruchemists, in fact, I would be utterly shocked if Rashek did not put them there. His intentions during his Ascension were not selfish, he was honestly trying to save the world. I find it odd that he would so relentlessly extinguish Feruchemy in the Final Empire without keeping a backup source of it somewhere. However, I think by the time of Alloy of Law, full Feruchemy would be mostly bred out of the lines, leaving the Southern People with mostly Ferrings and Mistings.

Feruchemists are like that. Ceteris parabis, one Feruchemist can take down one Mistborn, no question, the only thing is, they can't just drink a vial and be back at full strength. A Mistborn could take down fifty human assassins over the course of two weeks; if a Feruchemist tried that, by twentieth he'd be running low on most of his battle metals, with no break to restore them.

• Chaos locked this topic