PC or Mac?

Chaos

PC or Mac?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. What's your OS of choice on your primary computer?

GNU/Linux here and glad to see a 12% of linux users and many windows users who aren't linux-haters (as opposited on gaming communities).

Regarding steam and gaming, a while ago I deceided not to buy any game not released for my OS, and I have more than 300 native linux games, most indies, but a bunch of AAA games as well, and I'm from a generation who thinks that gameplay isn't related to the quality of the graphics, so I'm very pleased with my game library.

I work with linux and each and every device on my house (except phones) has linux inside as well. The freedom it gives to me is essential, I'm not tied to privative software since 8 years and the things just work, and if they doen't work, sometimes I can arrange by myself and help creators to improve (and I am not a developer).

Good on you!

I have a one plus one, and have been having trouble with the OS from OnePlus.  Going into my Bluetooth settings, causes the phone to lockup and reboot.

I've been considering using the Ubuntu mobile on it, and see if that works better.  Trouble is, the second i do that I'm on my own.  While OnePlus is helping me figure out exactly what the problem is right now.

I might wind up going Ubuntu Mobile anyway, if they can't fix this problem.

I will say, it would help Linux immensely, if there was a Linux UI just as powerful as the windows one is.  Right now, the command line is very intimidating to most casual users.  But if they could do everything the windows UI could do, from the Linux UI, it would make Linux more appealing to some.

I love linux, really, and I hate to admit this, but IMHO, Ubuntu phone still is too unmature to the great public. It will be a great device perhaps in two years more, but on latest MWC I had one in my hands and it was a poor experience (but a great idea), I must say the hardware is not so great than other seen on other OSes, but I do expect more fluency and stability in a phone. I use it (the phone) like a computer, and I use Android (since version 1.2) because it gave me more or less the same freedom that linux gives to me. I only need to root my Android device and chroot a GNU/Linux inside to work with no problem.

The problem is that Linux is on a race to release the first distro, and Canonical have made their move: be the first to sell phones with a Linux: Ubuntu Touch. But on medium to low hardware to be competitive, so the user experience is not good and I think they use their customers like guinea pigs (just like google did with Android, no more, no less). Samsung went just after, and they also released cheap and powerless devices to the Indian market, I have one of this also in the MVC two years ago, and it looked like an Android. The good part is seems Samsung's Tizen is more mature than Ubuntu Touch, but it seems Samsung itself is waiting to improve the OS to compite with Google.

There exist also Jolla Sailfish, which came from MeeGo, which came itself from Maemo... none of those projects really produced any device (only the OS), and for the final customer, that is a complete fail. They need a manufacturers to give them firmwares or their OS will be only a proof-of-concept.

Regarding your problem with the Bluetooth and the soft reboots... is not Android's fault, but your device. I would speak with the seller or if you're more tech savy, you could ask on xda forums (http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-one) You could install a pure AOSP, instead the OnePlus layer, for instance.

Aaaaand regarding the Linux Desktop, now it's too late (2 am here at the moment and tomorrow I enter at work at 9 am), but I promise tomorrow I will screencast my desktop for you to see if it is powerfull enough for a Windows user ;)

• 2 months later...