How has it that shallan isnt leaking like kaladin?

tom57

How can shallan talk while in disguise without her light leaking?

How can she maintain her disguise?

(Sorry about my english if there are any mistakes...)

Have there been instances of Stormlight shown leaking from her body?

If I'm not mistaken, we have a WoB that says that Shallan has some Horneater heritage, and another WoB that says all Horneaters have Voidbringer heritage. In which case, the Voidbringer ability to be perfect vessels for Stormlight might be coming into play.

(Actually, there's probably a much saner explanation that I'm not thinking of.)

Shallan herself might be leaking stormlight, but her illusions aren't, thus when she's hiding inside one there aren't any visible signs of stormlight involvement. If this wasn't the case, illusions would have been terribly useless since it'd have been obvious to anyone.

As it was mentioned, Shallan illusions feed on stormlight, therefor they likely absorb all the stormlight that she breaths out or loses through her skin.

Edited by Aleksiel

When I was reading the description of how the illusions absorbed stormlight, I detected a bit of the smell of burning Handwavium, but it worked well enough. It sounded a bit like Brandon came up with everything, then somewhere in the drafting process went, "Crap! Illusions on the self are pointless if you glow like a lite brite." In any case, it works. 

Well even in-world the magic systems are designed, Surgebinding was invented by the spren and by honor, so it makes perfect sense that they'd tweak the system so that it's practical.

The magic systems aren't designed, they arise from interactions between the planet and the Shards Invested on it:

KAIMIPONO

On a broader level, is hemalurgy officially dead, then? Or is it still extant in some Ruin-free (but still messy) form? (If it's gone, is there any imbalance since Preservation's magic power is kept and Ruin's isn't?)

BRANDON SANDERSON

Is Hemalurgy dead? No, not at all. It, like the other two powers, was not created by Ruin or Preservation, but by the natural state of the world and its interaction with the gods who created it. It still requires the same method of creation, but very few people are aware of how it works.

(source)

Honor may have made the Honorblades to allow access to it, but he certainly didn't get to choose the Surges.

In any case, yeah, apparently the Stormlight leaking from Shallan is used to power the illusion. Lashings run out because they aren't fed new Stormlight, but Shallan's illusions tend to be placed on her, so that is less of a problem. I wonder if Kaladin could do a similar trick if he were in constant contact with something he were Lashing? Or maybe this is why Reverse Lashing is so efficient - you are in constant contact with the object, so it can feed off Stormlight that would otherwise leak from you.

The specific reference in Words of Radiance.

“I’m not glowing ,” Shallan said. “I’m holding a lot of Stormlight, but I’m not glowing.”

“Mmm . . .” Pattern said. “Large illusion transforms the Surge into another. Feeds off your Stormlight.”

She nodded . The Stormlight she held fed the illusion, drawing the excess from her that would normally float above her skin. That could be useful.

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 739). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

The specific reference in Words of Radiance.

She is glowing at the end of WoR... When she holds Adolin after the big fight, she draws on some spheres he had on him and she glows. Adolin notice it immediately and then realize she is a Radiant as well... So she can glow: it is just her Lightweaving feeding on her excesses that makes appear unglowing.

She is glowing at the end of WoR... When she holds Adolin after the big fight, she draws on some spheres he had on him and she glows. Adolin notice it immediately and then realize she is a Radiant as well... So she can glow: it is just her Lightweaving feeding on her excesses that makes appear unglowing.

I'm a little confused.  Are you making a separate point or are you just paraphrasing the quote from the book?  :huh:

I'm a little confused.  Are you making a separate point or are you just paraphrasing the quote from the book?  :huh:

I guess I am making a separate point. I just remembered this scene where it is clearly mentioned Shallan is glowing after absorbing stormlight. The fact Adolin notices is also a strong point as he would not have comment on it had it not been obvious.

I see it as another argument in favor of the "Shallan's illusions are absorbing her excesses" theory.

I was so tempted to explain 'indoor' and 'outdoor' plumbing here...

I think it's just a difference in the oaths. Like Shallan technically is a full Radiant and Kal is on level 3 with each Oath taken you become better at containing stormlight.

Well, technically, Shallan is a level 4 Radiant. She still has one more truth to say.

• Chaos locked this topic