Shattered Plains Contest

bobsaveg

So the idea behind this is to find the a real life picture or image that best portrays the Shattered plains then post the Link here.

This came up when me and my brother were discussing where they could film the books, ( we both agree this may and probably should never happen.) and we tried to find some cool looking places for the set of the Shattered Plains. So here is my Link

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.3873322,-109.5445464,1850a,20y,81.07t/data=!3m1!1e3

thanks for the input and your Photoshopped image was pretty cool i gave you a 1 up for it

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments have a great day

Location shoots for down inside the chasms in Utah, places like Antelope Canyon. Above-ground shoots probably a combination of location shots with matte backgrounds and studio shoots.

https://www.google.com/search?q=antelope+canyon&safe=off&biw=1590&bih=959&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Lfw1VMHyAYWdygSN7oD4DQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

It's one of the reasons I don't think Stormlight would work well in live-action... too many amazing environments eating up your budget. Game of Thrones works primarily because they can find locations that are equivalent to the locations in Westeros. I don't think that's as easy a trick for Stormlight, where almost every aspect of the environment is otherworldly.

Edited by Inkthinker

underneath Greenland has catacombs of tunnels cause by when the ice melts and falls under the surface, by using sonar you could make a map of these tunnels and piece together an image. it would only take some Photoshop to make these look like chasms and would save CGI costs for overhead images. Green screen would work for locations and these could be added to this map with a make a consistent feel to the shattered plains. 

Location shoots for down inside the chasms in Utah, places like Antelope Canyon. Above-ground shoots probably a combination of location shots with matte backgrounds and studio shoots.

https://www.google.com/search?q=antelope+canyon&safe=off&biw=1590&bih=959&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Lfw1VMHyAYWdygSN7oD4DQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

It's one of the reasons I don't think Stormlight would work well in live-action... too many amazing environments eating up your budget. Game of Thrones works primarily because they can find locations that are equivalent to the locations in Westeros. I don't think that's as easy a trick for Stormlight, where almost every aspect of the environment is otherworldly.

Those canyons are beautiful, but I think they are too narrow to work. chasmfiends would not be able to move in them.

As for the budget, well, the only way to get the movie done properly would be if there was some filthy rich oil lord sanderfan willing to throw a few tens millions dollars to see the movie, knowing he won't be able to recover expences.

Too bad we don't have one...

Hey you!

I know you're lurking there! It's pointless to try to hide now. you have no excuses. You are a filthy rich oil lord and you want to throw some big money to see a sa movie. just sign in and make a donation. We know you're here.

Nothing? Well, was worth a shot.

Those canyons are beautiful, but I think they are too narrow to work. chasmfiends would not be able to move in them.

t.

There are some larger ones in western USA. Each time I think of Shattered Plains, I do see a mix between the Grand Canyon, Brice and the Zion Canyon more or less minus the roads and the buildings... Or perhaps Arches as well...

a04.jpg

The proportions are not right, but it does have a Shattered Plains feel to it...

ZionFlash01s.jpg

Or this.... Replace the vegetation....

This movie could definitely be filmed in Utah... with special effect to shape the existing landscape into a proper Shattered Plain... Must be easier then creating a whole new world from graphics only.

Edit: I had another nice one, but I couldn't copy it here..... Sharing issues.

Edited by maxal

Given the stunts they pulled off with Avatar and other movies, I'm pretty sure the Shattered Plain's are technically possible to create nowadays.  Dunno if any of the studios would want to take a gamble one something that big (the series would be really hard to adapt, for length if nothing else.  Oh, and it's not going to be finished for two decades) but I'm sure the big studios could make something work.

another factor to consider is that the chasms are not dry and barren, but green and teeming with life. For that purpose, I think the closer real-world equivalent that can be found would be the Serai gorge, in the italian alps. The link is to a photosphere on googlemaps.

Problem is that the life of our planet is still prety different from that of roshar, so they'd have to modify all the plants with computer graphics. and then it would just be easier to make it all from zero anyway.

Given the stunts they pulled off with Avatar and other movies, I'm pretty sure the Shattered Plain's are technically possible to create nowadays.  Dunno if any of the studios would want to take a gamble one something that big (the series would be really hard to adapt, for length if nothing else.  Oh, and it's not going to be finished for two decades) but I'm sure the big studios could make something work.

Technically possible is not the same as budgetarily feasible. Avatar happened because James Cameron has tons of backing and owns much of the technology he used to make that film. If James Cameron falls in love with Stormlight (it could happen)...

As for the narrow canyons of southern Utah, tricking scale is not so major a feat as creating CG environments from scratch.

Technically possible is not the same as budgetarily feasible. Avatar happened because James Cameron has tons of backing and owns much of the technology he used to make that film. If James Cameron falls in love with Stormlight (it could happen)...

As for the narrow canyons of southern Utah, tricking scale is not so major a feat as creating CG environments from scratch.

Could somebody send a free copy of SA to James Cameron ASP? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

• Chaos locked this topic