What to read next?

Carcinios

Okay. So naturally being part of the 17thshard I am a huge fan of Brandon Sanderson.

However I am always on the lookout for new things from other authors

The Criteria I'm looking for

1. Light to Medium-light on grim and grit. Not really a huge fan of depressing fantasy

2. Little in the way of gratuitous sex and violence.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Already Read:

WOT

Patrick Rothfuss (Name of the Wind + Wise Man's Fear)

Ian Irvine's various series

Discworld

Edited by Carcinios

Brent Weeks is also good for some ridiculous over-the-top fun reading.  At first, you might think, "Man, this is just ridiculous, no way!"  But if you keep reading, it just gets more and more ridiculous, until it cycles all the way around (who even knew that it was a cycle?  I didn't, and I invented the gauge!) 

Garth Nix's Old Kingdom Trilogy. I would also recommend Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed, and Tom Lloyd's Moon's Artifice. (Some hesitation on Moon's Artifice--I wouldn't consider it to be 'depressing' but the main characters are investigating criminal activity. I wouldn't consider the violence to be gratituous, however.)

Is Half a King as dark as his First Law series?  I read the first few books of it and decided it wasn't for me.  Is Half a King more of the same, or should I give it a chance?

its not as dark..its targeted for YA... and it's a really good book. Completly worth your time

• 2 weeks later...

You could try song of ice and fire. 

Definitely doesn't fit criteron #2.  Sorry. :unsure:

I second the following: Lord of the Rings, David Edding's The Belgariad & The Mallorean series, Anthony Ryan's Blood Song & Tower Lord, Patricia A. McKillip (haven't read that series, but I've read other books), and The Dresden Files if you don't mind fast-forwarding through the ~two gratuitous scenes.   I'm not commenting on the others because I haven't read them myself.

The Runelords by David Farland. I've only read book one but I loved it and plan on continuing as soon as I can get my hands on book 2. It's reminiscent of Warbreaker in a lot of ways, but it's more traditional fantasy.

• Chaos locked this topic