Unknown Shards

Tulir

If Brandon were to make shard for logic/learning/knowledge. I vote he models it after Chaos, the expert in all things cosmere-ical. Seriously who else has his knowledge of minutiae? (Aside from Peter)

That's easy: Zas. :P

Not that I'm complaining, I'll happily be a Shard. You don't have to ask me twice!

"Yeah, Brandon, I know who exactly you should model that Shard after." "Logic, you mean?" "Yeah, that one. His username on 17S is Chaos." "Chaos. And he's... logical." "...Yes." "Riiiiight."

I'm just so chaotic that my username is itself inconsistent with me. I'm so devious! It almost makes too much sense.

Shard please.

How 'bout a shard called Integrity? Where your magical power increases slowly by honest acts and drops a level if you do something bad? (I know, it's very Mormon of me to suggest that, but hey, Brandon's Mormon too.)

How 'bout a shard called Integrity? Where your magical power increases slowly by honest acts and drops a level if you do something bad? (I know, it's very Mormon of me to suggest that, but hey, Brandon's Mormon too.)

Thing is, such things would be subjective to the person. What defines honesty and bad? If an evil man is honest and true to his convictions, and honest to himself, does his power grow? Is what he is doing considered bad in the eyes of the magic?

Besides, Integrity is basically Honor. And I think we have that one. Kind of important, in a way, in that one book, about the kings. (Or was it THE King?)

How do you define selfish/selfless, after all? Actions can benefit yourself and others.

Selfish: benefiting yourself in detriment to others.

Selfless: benefit others in detriment to yourself.

When you benefit yourself AND others with the same action, thats Neutral (I prefer to call it "Practical" :lol: ).

Edited by Aiken Frost

Selfish: benefiting yourself in detriment to others.

Selfless: benefit others in detriment to yourself.

When you benefit yourself AND others with the same action, thats Neutral (I prefer to call it "Practical" :lol: ).

Then you get into the fiddly area of "detriment" and "benefit". After all, if this magic system gives you, let's call them "karmic points" for being "selfless", than you are getting a definite benefit to yourself. That's just business.

Ooooo.... is Capitalism a Shard?

How about a shard named Fidelity?

Dual aspect of truthfulness and being faithful to others or originals.

The knowledge/learning idea is probably already covered by Cultivation. One of its meanings can mean

cultural refinement or gaining knowledge.

• 4 weeks later...

I always thought Chuck Norris held the "Roundhouse Kicks to the Face Shard of Andolasium." In order to access his power, you must have an intent to roundhouse kick someone in the face. Allomancy is child's play compared to that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My favorite imaginary (yet, you just wait til Brandon hears of this, he'll HAVE to make it canon) Shard would have to be the Sheep Shard.

Not only is it impossible to change forms in order to create a plural (which is a MUST, in my opinion, for any decent Shard, like Preservation [try saying Preservations]), it's power makes it necessary that you follow current trends. Shardholder: Womankind.

Opposite Shard: Beer.

Edited by Odium's_Shard

My favorite imaginary (yet, you just wait til Brandon hears of this, he'll HAVE to make it canon) Shard would have to be the Sheep Shard.

Not only is it impossible to change forms in order to create a plural (which is a MUST, in my opinion, for any decent Shard, like Preservation [try saying Preservations]), it's power makes it necessary that you follow current trends. Shardholder: Womankind.

Opposite Shard: Beer.

well Ruins works :P, Honors, Cultivations, Devotions, Dominions, Preservations does work (for me)

Actually Honors works in the same way as Ruin, as a verb. But because all the others are in a non-verb state, as in a thing, noun, such as Cultivation being a thing, and to cultivate being a verb. But technically 'Ruins' isn't a plural.

/nerdrant