Does the Cosmere Universe open up for a sci-fi setting?

oGGe

Oh, crap, Aiken, he knows about the damnation parrot! I told you not to go running your motor about those secret zoo animalia that we are keeping hidden away for exportation (and huge profits) in case the admins find out! I guess I'm going to have to call it! We'll hide them, including the {wink} giraffe inside that Alcatraz Thread that no-one will ever find!

Guest Jacob Santos

I think that given that Hoid can do his magic anywhere, that other magic systems should be available everywhere as well. Only limited by genetics and other factors. So yes, I think allomancy should be available, if played straight, everywhere the person born of Preservation is located.

I think that given that Hoid can do his magic anywhere, that other magic systems should be available everywhere as well. Only limited by genetics and other factors. So yes, I think allomancy should be available, if played straight, everywhere the person born of Preservation is located.

I think I missed it being stated flat out that Hoid has magic. Of course, very little has been stated in plain terms about Hoid, and obviously he can do something. But I don't recall ever seeing anything about Hoid's magic.

(I'm not sure if I'm being facetious or not here, so if I am, just ignore me.)

I feel as if I stumbled on to a Reddit thread. Well the wit and irreverence isn't on par, but I'll keep my expectations low.

Edit: It is kind of odd what people will give negative rep to as opposed to the majority of off topic responses in the thread. I have half a mind to go through and negative rep all off topic posts myself, but that would be childish.

Relax, man. There's nothing wrong with a bit of looseness. You (as well as everyone else) always has the ability to add something on-topic to the discussion.

I find that politely asking to get back on topic is a lot more effective. I personally don't have a problem with some off-topic fun, but if you want to steer the discussion to something more productive, you gotta admit there are a lot more polite and effective ways to do so, you know?

You... You! I swear to you, that giraffe king was my kill! And I won't let it go! I'm teaming up with Shivertongue against you! And don't try to spin me no story that the giraffe was eating your damnation bagels!

You have unchained the beast...

(Puts on wordhat)

Let's rock and roll.

Guest Jacob Santos

Relax, man. There's nothing wrong with a bit of looseness. You (as well as everyone else) always has the ability to add something on-topic to the discussion.

I find that politely asking to get back on topic is a lot more effective. I personally don't have a problem with some off-topic fun, but if you want to steer the discussion to something more productive, you gotta admit there are a lot more polite and effective ways to do so, you know?

Well, I was thinking of asking that this thread be split into two and the irrelevance moved to an off-topic subforum. It is worth keeping for the humor and LOLz, however it has pretty much stopped being funny after page 2, so if you could remove pages 3 and 4, it would greatly improve the LOLz.

I did go with a facetious post instead to keep from breaking the lighted mood, but I think people misunderstood that I was joking. The irony was that I was trying to be nice by being facetious as opposed to saying, "Hey, how about splitting this thread after post 3," which would have made me look like a jerk.

Looking back, I understand why the irrelevance. Basically the question asked has already been answered, but in other threads and reading extra material. Furthermore the thread ended at post 3, everything past that has been off-topic, including this post, but whatever.

Well, I was thinking of asking that this thread be split into two and the irrelevance moved to an off-topic subforum. It is worth keeping for the humor and LOLz, however it has pretty much stopped being funny after page 2, so if you could remove pages 3 and 4, it would greatly improve the LOLz.

I did go with a facetious post instead to keep from breaking the lighted mood, but I think people misunderstood that I was joking. The irony was that I was trying to be nice by being facetious as opposed to saying, "Hey, how about splitting this thread after post 3," which would have made me look like a jerk.

Looking back, I understand why the irrelevance. Basically the question asked has already been answered, but in other threads and reading extra material. Furthermore the thread ended at post 3, everything past that has been off-topic, including this post, but whatever.

You... kind of have an odd sense of humor :P

Hopefully you can understand why being facetious sounded a lot more offensive than hilarious. You can't simply go from one kind of humor to a totally different one (joking and intentionally being inappropriate) and expect humor to be totally transitive. Honestly, looking at the post that was downvoted, it's really hard to find it funny. It feels a lot more attack than keeping things in the spirit of the thread.

A simple and polite, "hey guys, can we keep it on topic or maybe split the topic? This really isn't a General Theories topic any longer" doesn't make you seem like a jerk in any capacity. In fact, that makes you seem even better, because you care about the overall organization of the forum. Instead, you chose to be intentionally inappropriate in a weird joke. That's a little less cool.

Since this is the second time I've seen you be intentionally offensive for the sake of a laugh, I'd really like you to think very hard if that type of humor will actually have the effect you desire. That humor does have a place, but honestly, I can't think of a single context in terms of this community where that would be preferred over being polite. So... just watch out for that, okay? If someone could find it offensive, that may not be the best idea, you know?

@Chaos: Where ought this to be moved to? I agree that this thread now has little/nothing to do with whether or not the Cosmere Universe Opens Up For a Sci-Fi Setting.

I'm not totally sure at the moment. I think about it and ask KChan if she has some bright ideas. It's hard because the off-topicness, even if it was separate from the topic here, is still really random, so it's hard to encapsulate it in a new thread title.

I need to get ready for bed, but I'll read back over the thread tomorrow or the next day, and we'll see where to go to from there. On a side note, I agree with everything Chaos said - and props to everyone who kept this misunderstanding drama-free. I'm really glad we have such a mature user base here on 17S, even though we can all act totally silly and ridiculous at the same time. :)

I need to get ready for bed, but I'll read back over the thread tomorrow or the next day, and we'll see where to go to from there. On a side note, I agree with everything Chaos said - and props to everyone who kept this misunderstanding drama-free. I'm really glad we have such a mature user base here on 17S, even though we can all act totally silly and ridiculous at the same time. :)

We have mature users? Where? How'd they get in?

I think I missed it being stated flat out that Hoid has magic. Of course, very little has been stated in plain terms about Hoid, and obviously he can do something. But I don't recall ever seeing anything about Hoid's magic.

Well there is that whole "ship made of smoke" thing with Kaladin. As well as his sense of where to be where he's supposed to be.

And Jacob, the quote you're looking for is:

Some of the magic systems have been discovered on different planets, and some of them do work. A lot of them don't, but some of them do. It depends on your spiritual DNA, what people are able to do, and things like that. Source

This quote is ambiguous at the least. Let's see if I can find a better one.

Brandon has also stated that Hoid has temporal abilities, and hasn't lived every year in real-time. (Kind of like a cadmium bubble) Still, he's much, much older than a normal person would be, and I'd imagine he has some magical capability to prevent him from aging.

Also, worldhopping. Brandon has said Hoid "is very good at manipulating Shadesmar for his ends". He's got magic, definitely.

EDIT: Zas, I couldn't find this quote about Hoid and Shadesmar in the Interview Database, but I know I read it somewhere. The best that is in there is Stormblessed referencing the quote I am talking about.

EDIT2: Thanks for finding it. http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=428#102

Edited by Chaos

We have mature users? Where? How'd they get in?

Sorry about that. I thought it'd be okay if I... invited a few friends. I never meant for the giraffe to be killed, honest. Nor the parrot. Light-hearted fun, y'know...? After all, its not as if any of us have been causing some sort of completely off-topic ruckus or anything, right?

Sorry about that. I thought it'd be okay if I... invited a few friends. I never meant for the giraffe to be killed, honest. Nor the parrot. Light-hearted fun, y'know...? After all, its not as if any of us have been causing some sort of completely off-topic ruckus or anything, right?

As Commissioner Gordan would say, it's just escalation.

Watch out. Zombie Heath Ledger is coming for you...

*EDIT*:

Heat Ledger hasn't been an assassin for years. I don't know what I was thinking.

Edited by Commander Spoonface

It's Commissioner Gordon actually. Another relative of mine. (Gordons and Goradels are very close.)

But the only way to settle ecscalation is to use something so overpowering that your opponent can't stop it!

Or quit. That works too.