Does the Cosmere Universe open up for a sci-fi setting?

oGGe

The 'naming' intent system you described (having to understand the Command thoroughly) sounds strangely reminiscent of the Naming system from the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. Knowing the word's 'true name' gives you a measure of control over it.

To be fair, Rothfuss isn't the first to use that as the basis for a magic system - its actually fairly common. Most notably its how the magic in Ursula K. Leguin's 'A Wizard of Earthsea' works. Its all about the execution, ultimately.

Now there's a comparison. Paolini and Rothfus. Neither of them are very original, but Rothfus has WAY better prose.

think about it. how many authors are original. that said I'd disagree with your statement about rothfus, his excecution is interesting. not as original as sanderson ussually is, but still interesting.

Rothfuss' magic system in Kingkiller has more to do with it than just naming. Sympathy is another aspect of it, creating links between something and a representation of it, kinda like a mixture of voodoo and quantum entanglement. There's also alchemy, artificery, fae magic, and probably others. Naming is only a portion, which Kvothe is specifically interested in.

There's nothing wrong with fairies in general. I'm just not particularly fond of them. And I feel like Pat's world would have been just fine without them. He dwelt on them In Wise Man's Fear for too long. Plus they don't follow normal rules, and that bugs me.

Rothfuss' magic system in Kingkiller has more to do with it than just naming. Sympathy is another aspect of it, creating links between something and a representation of it, kinda like a mixture of voodoo and quantum entanglement. There's also alchemy, artificery, fae magic, and probably others. Naming is only a portion, which Kvothe is specifically interested in.

Yes, yes. I understand that. But Naming (probably simply because it is the most mysterious/unknown/Elodin is my favorite character of the series) is by far where most of my interest lays. Alchemy sounds mysterious, and it is stated they know next to nothing about it, but discoveries in that are about as interesting as discoveries in Chemistry. They aren't.

Naming is just... so suspended from reality, yet so close in that it could actually almost be true, and we just don't know how to pronounce the true names of things. That, for me, is the mark of the best magic systems.

Stunningly incredible in execution, yet not so far-fetched as to be unbelievable or unfounded.

Honestly, I have not read the series, but I'm not sure how you could be less original than the Inheritance Cycle...

Rothfus isn't less original. He, like Paolini, is just recycling tired old tropes without changing too much. Rothfus' whole appeal is in his narrative abilities, and his main character (who I both love and hate with equal fervor.)

Although (bringing us closer to the topic) I wonder what The Name of The Wind, would be like in a modern or Sci-fi setting.

Guest Jacob Santos

I feel as if I stumbled on to a Reddit thread. Well the wit and irreverence isn't on par, but I'll keep my expectations low.

Edit: It is kind of odd what people will give negative rep to as opposed to the majority of off topic responses in the thread. I have half a mind to go through and negative rep all off topic posts myself, but that would be childish.

Edited by Jacob Santos

Jerk. That king was my kill.

Dude, seriously, let it go. We told you not to lose so much time with the dukes!

Also, about fairies and magic. I recommend Dresden Files, having just finished reading all the released books.

Edited by Aiken Frost

I agree with Goradel when he talks about Kvothe. That guy is both the lovable orphan, tormented streetkid, random adventurer (often leading to unnecessarily long sequences involve a faery and repeated sexual abuse), foolish lover, detestably (and strangely, often plot-dependingly) intellegent being (despite the book continually referencing that his friends are smarter than him, he somehow learns many languages just for fun, and masters E'lir sympathy before arriving at the only place licensed to teach it).

Basically, he's the bittersweet jerk in the book. Elodin is my favorite. Nothing flawed about him, he never changes, never has wholes in his character development, and at the same time imparts the greatest wisdom. How, you ask? Why, he's downright insane!

Dude, seriously, let it go. We told you not to lose so much time with the dukes!

Also, about fairies and magic. I recommend Dresden Files, having just finished reading all the released books.

Dude, I called dibs. DIBS!

On edit, I also highly recommend the Dresden Files.

I didn't even want to kill him! I was just walking along and then he was right there, and he was all like "Can I have some of your bagels?" when he was already eating them.

Jerk stole my bagels, and he paid the price.

Ok, ok. We already discussed that. I gave you more bagels and we agreed that next king is Shivertongue's kill. Now lets drop the subject, people are already looking funny at us.

And we don't want to turn this situation into something like that another subject we agreed not to talk about...

Hush up! Even the use of the word other might somehow inexplicably convince the children that there may in fact actually be subjects of surprisingly hilarious content. Not to mention all of the off-hand comments on similarly-secret threads that are contained within said other thing...

Hush up! Even the use of the word other might somehow inexplicably convince the children that there may in fact actually be subjects of surprisingly hilarious content. Not to mention all of the off-hand comments on similarly-secret threads that are contained within said other thing...

You guys do realize I can see all the secret threads, right? And I totally know about all the other things, including the parrot?