Does the Cosmere Universe open up for a sci-fi setting?

oGGe

What do you guys think?

Since the planets are in the same universe (do we know if it's the same galaxy?) Is there any chance any of the worlds develop high enough technology to travel between the stars?

/oGGe

I'm not a guy ;-) but the 3rd Mistborn trilogy is (as I've heard) going to involve faster-than-light space travel. Probably with visiting other Shardworlds.

It's still insulting to open up with the pretense that everybody who answers this particular thread is indeed a small lumbricus who mates with itself while perhaps deigning to chew on a few ancient tomes every now and again, despite the fact that one has indicated that this small groups of vermes includes oneself.

/ridiculouspretensualdisagreement

Fellow Sharders? But what if there's a non Sharder lurking? Fellow People? BUT WHAT IF CRABS READ THIS THREAD?!! Fellow Animals? What about sentient trees? Fellow Organisms? We can't discriminate against rocks!

Obviously "Fellow Objects" is the only correct, non-discriminatory, designation.

But as for a word hat, here you go:

'Hat'.

A hat made of words, my friend, forged from their very essence.

Does one "forge" a wordhat? It seems appropriate.

That sounds like some Shard's magic system. Perhaps Literacy. Creating objects out of the meanings of words...

It would be called "Wordsmithing."

A hat made of words, my friend, forged from their very essence.

Does one "forge" a wordhat? It seems appropriate.

That sounds like some Shard's magic system. Perhaps Literacy. Creating objects out of the meanings of words...

It would be called "Wordsmithing."

I invented a magic with that power a while back. It's called Literomancy and grants power over and through reading.

This sounds to much like Inkheart for my liking. Reading aloud conjures what you say. It has to be read for writing though (strangely).

Literomancy... to write it down, and then it comes true? It needs to have parameters... Maybe you need to think about it while writing, like a Command of the mind. Or, there could be special types of parchment. You write of Command on the slip of parchment, it is initiated, and then the parchment dissolves. The reeds needed to make specific parchments are both rare and altered in some way by the Shard literacy.

© 'Windrunner' March 20th 2012

My idea is that someone with the magic can write down a word, but it takes the meaning and knowledge of the that word with it when they do. Someone else is (Without the magic) can then use the object with the word written on it. The actual effect depends on the intent of the writer, the user, the word itself, and the material the word is written on.