Photo

Does the Cosmere Universe open up for a sci-fi setting?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 oGGe

oGGe

17th Sharder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Spren

Posted 12 March 2012 - 03:51 AM

What do you guys think?

Since the planets are in the same universe (do we know if it's the same galaxy?) Is there any chance any of the worlds develop high enough technology to travel between the stars?

/oGGe

#2 Eri

Eri

I want my pet fractal!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Babsk

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

I'm not a guy ;-) but the 3rd Mistborn trilogy is (as I've heard) going to involve faster-than-light space travel. Probably with visiting other Shardworlds.

Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, Wielder of Puppies, the Assassin in White, Master of the Epic Facepalm.Nails!!! :D

#3 oGGe

oGGe

17th Sharder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Spren

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:49 AM

Thanks! That sounds really promising for the future of the series :)

Edited by oGGe, 12 March 2012 - 05:49 AM.

#4 Connerjade

Connerjade

17th Sharder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Spearman

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

In terms of everyone's ability to go ftl through tech... I think they all should be able to make it, since in every planet labor is hceaper than on earth, and I don't recall any material shortages thatwould prevent it.

#5 ReaderAt2046

ReaderAt2046

High Prelan, Canton of Literature, Prince Fraternal of Pudding,

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hazekiller

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

What do you girls think?

As Alcatraz Smedry pointed out...
All hail the power of Jesus's name, let angels prostrate fall, bring forth the royal diadem, and crown him Lord Of All!

God dying/a perfect atonement/Jesus/atonement perfected/a dying God.

God/creating all glories/Jesus/glorious/all-creating God.

#6 oGGe

oGGe

17th Sharder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Spren

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:07 AM

What do you guys think?

I'd change it to "What do you bookworms think?" but I'd probably offend someone else then :)

#7 Aaradel

Aaradel

Lurker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Obligator

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:34 AM

Go with "fellow bookworms."
In Fond Memory of Anne McCaffrey: 1 April 1926 – 21 November 2011

You sent us out on Dragon's wings,
taught us too, that Crystals sing.
May we not forget the tender words,
said in your behalf:
"Sorry that old age came up and bit me on the This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules.”

#8 Odium's_Shard

Odium's_Shard

Shard of Broken Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
Cobalt Guard

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:13 PM

It's still insulting to open up with the pretense that everybody who answers this particular thread is indeed a small lumbricus who mates with itself while perhaps deigning to chew on a few ancient tomes every now and again, despite the fact that one has indicated that this small groups of vermes includes oneself.

/ridiculouspretensualdisagreement

I have Returned! After some rather serious personal life issues, I picked up Words of Radiance and of course decided to dive headfirst back into 17th Shard.

On an unusually human note from me, I would like to most sincerely thank Adonalsium for creating Brandon Sanderson. His works have seen me through some exceptionally rough patches in my life and have always been a thoroughly enjoyable Cadmium bubble of calm. 

Espoused Theories: Three Parts of Magic, The Focus of Magic on Roshar

#9 Commander Spoonface

Commander Spoonface

Shard of Literacy, Master of Wordhats

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Babsk

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

Fellow Sharders? But what if there's a non Sharder lurking? Fellow People? BUT WHAT IF CRABS READ THIS THREAD?!! Fellow Animals? What about sentient trees? Fellow Organisms? We can't discriminate against rocks!

Obviously "Fellow Objects" is the only correct, non-discriminatory, designation.

Holder of the Shard Literacy, Wordsmith of the 7th Level, Bearer of the Most Grand Wordhat, Ambassador to the Giraffe Nation, Grandmaster of the Order of the Most Eloquent Spoons, Director of Kittens

Shiny Theories: The 10-16 Theorem, The Theory of the Epic God Metal, Feruchemy and Lerasium Theory, Shardic Color Theory

#10 Odium's_Shard

Odium's_Shard

Shard of Broken Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
Cobalt Guard

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

I'd still go with 'Fellow Universally-based things' just to hate on parallel worlds.

I have Returned! After some rather serious personal life issues, I picked up Words of Radiance and of course decided to dive headfirst back into 17th Shard.

On an unusually human note from me, I would like to most sincerely thank Adonalsium for creating Brandon Sanderson. His works have seen me through some exceptionally rough patches in my life and have always been a thoroughly enjoyable Cadmium bubble of calm. 

#11 Ironeyes

Ironeyes

Chief Allomantic Metallurgist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Noble

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

I HATE "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" FREAKS!!!! You can all go die while I continue to use the term "you guys!"

And you know, "y'all" works too.
Posted Image
(un)Official Participant in the Discovery of The Epic God Metal(s)* by Shivertongue
*May contain salt

#12 ReaderAt2046

ReaderAt2046

High Prelan, Canton of Literature, Prince Fraternal of Pudding,

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hazekiller

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

As Alcatraz Smedry pointed out...

No, Alcatraz pointed out that "girls" is the correct term for a mixed male and female group, as it used to refer to children of both genders.
All hail the power of Jesus's name, let angels prostrate fall, bring forth the royal diadem, and crown him Lord Of All!

God dying/a perfect atonement/Jesus/atonement perfected/a dying God.

God/creating all glories/Jesus/glorious/all-creating God.

#13 SOM1else

SOM1else

17th Sharder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
Forescout

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

Obviously "Fellow Objects" is the only correct, non-discriminatory, designation.

I think to play it safe we need to limit ourselves to using only "Fellow Nouns"
"The end is the same. It is the path that separates men. When we taste that end, we will do so with our heads held high, eyes to the sun."
-Dalinar Kholin

#14 Odium's_Shard

Odium's_Shard

Shard of Broken Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
Cobalt Guard

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:08 PM

As Commander Spoonface pointed out, we should be discriminating towards all un-named aspects of the Universal Cosmos.

Edited by Odium's_Shard, 18 March 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#15 Commander Spoonface

Commander Spoonface

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Babsk

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

I think to play it safe we need to limit ourselves to using only "Fellow Nouns"

Adjectives have feelings too, you know. "Irregardless" is already sensitive, and you know how he can be when he really gets going.

Holder of the Shard Literacy, Wordsmith of the 7th Level, Bearer of the Most Grand Wordhat, Ambassador to the Giraffe Nation, Grandmaster of the Order of the Most Eloquent Spoons, Director of Kittens

Shiny Theories: The 10-16 Theorem, The Theory of the Epic God Metal, Feruchemy and Lerasium Theory, Shardic Color Theory

#16 Aaradel

Aaradel

Lurker Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Obligator

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

'Irregardless' isn't actually a word. 'Regardless' resents having it's meaning stolen by a look-alike wearing a hat.
In Fond Memory of Anne McCaffrey: 1 April 1926 – 21 November 2011

You sent us out on Dragon's wings,
taught us too, that Crystals sing.
May we not forget the tender words,
said in your behalf:
"Sorry that old age came up and bit me on the This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules.”

#17 CrazyRioter

CrazyRioter

17th Sharder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
Arbiter

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

flammable isn't a word either, "inflammable" resents being usurped by a hatless freak.

Scadrialian identity theft: steal an aluminummind! - with complements to Sweetness.

Espoused theoriesHoid Wrote the Letter The identity of Baxil's Mistress
Awesome Points: 20 for a Portal reference and also for Odium's favourite lolcat

#18 Commander Spoonface

Commander Spoonface

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Babsk

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:36 PM

They're both words. The fact that people use them and understand them makes it so, in English at least. They may have dubious lexicographical origins, but they are proud of their wordage and won't let it be taken from them!

#19 Odium's_Shard

Odium's_Shard

Shard of Broken Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
Cobalt Guard

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

They're both words. The fact that people use them and understand them makes it so, in English at least. They may have dubious lexicographical origins, but they are proud of their wordage and won't let it be taken from them!

Or their hats.

#20 Commander Spoonface

Commander Spoonface

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Babsk

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

Or their hats.

"I know what an analogy is! It's like a word with another word's hat on."
--Community

I want a word hat...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users