How do you contract a Kandra? (Minor spoilers)

Oxinabox

So we know that the Kandra take Atrium in payment for a contract.

Presumably a larger ammount of atrium lets you contract there services for a longer amount of time.

But can anyone find any references to how you meet up with the Kandra to set up the contract?

I remember Kesler, in the first book, saying he'ld spend the last of there Atrium on TenSoons contract,

but I can't remember ever reading how you start one.

All i can think of is wandering around the Mists carrying Atrium, and being all "Here Kandra Kandra Kandra, got a nice been of Atrium for you..."

I think your spellcheck went a little crazy on you. I highly doubt walking around with an atium bead is going to find you a kandra. They most likely have a complex network of human contacts or drop points.

Leave a message at this place at this time...

Contact this man and display your bead...

I always thought that you needed to contact a member of one of the Cantons. Dont know which, it was never mentioned. Only a few priests knew anything about the Atium drop in the Kandra homeland. so I assume that they were the ones who contacted them.

Which I had completly forgotten. Marsh proved that certain obligators can be bribed, even in the canton of inquizition. And HoA states outright that the kandra were loyal to TLR. He would have made sure that there were ways to contact them, which would mean the obligators of his church are prime suspects.

Brandon Sanderson mentions in one of his annotations about the Contract, but I don't remember right at this moment. I know it was book 3.

Chapter 59 Annotations

Always before, anyone who wanted to hire a kandra left a message in a designated place in Luthadel. The kandra found you—a creature who was under direct Contract by the Lord Ruler to act as an intermediary.

The kandra Contract was completely confidential, even from the Lord Ruler—though he probably could have demanded to know the details of who the kandra were working for at a given time. He didn't bother, as he never thought that one would be used in a plot against him.

The kandra who arranged Contracts—a member of the Fifth Generation—would travel to the Homeland with the signed papers and the atium, and would send a new kandra out to serve the new master. Nobody left the homeland without a Contract, and if their Contract ended or their master died, then they returned immediately to the Homeland.

Chapter 59 Annotations

Always before, anyone who wanted to hire a kandra left a message in a designated place in Luthadel. The kandra found you—a creature who was under direct Contract by the Lord Ruler to act as an intermediary.

The kandra Contract was completely confidential, even from the Lord Ruler—though he probably could have demanded to know the details of who the kandra were working for at a given time. He didn't bother, as he never thought that one would be used in a plot against him.

The kandra who arranged Contracts—a member of the Fifth Generation—would travel to the Homeland with the signed papers and the atium, and would send a new kandra out to serve the new master. Nobody left the homeland without a Contract, and if their Contract ended or their master died, then they returned immediately to the Homeland.

Thanks. I knew it was somewhere.

• Chaos locked this topic