Mistborn Movie Casting

Chaos

Kelsier - Jake Gyllenhaal

Vin - Ellen Page

Clubs - Liam Neeson

Sazed - Morgan Freeman

Ham - Michael Chiklis

Elend - James McAvoy (look at pics from becoming Jane)

Breeze - Alan Tudyk (if he gained some wait since breeze is a bigger man)

Marsh - Zachary Quinto

=My Dream Cast

(i dont know who i want to play spook yet D:)

Clubs - Liam Neeson

Sazed - Morgan Freeman

Ham - Michael Chiklis

Elend - James McAvoy (look at pics from becoming Jane)

Breeze - Alan Tudyk (if he gained some wait since breeze is a bigger man)

Marsh - Zachary Quinto

=My Dream Cast

(i dont know who i want to play spook yet D:)

I could work with these.

Edited by Immortal

So, who're we going to have play Wax, Wayne and all the other AoL characters?

I think we should keep these names in spoilers though, to prevent accidentally giving anything away.

First things first:

THIS POST WILL CONTAIN ALLOY OF LAW SPOILERS.

Now that's out of the way, here are my castings for an Alloy Of Law movie:

Wayne absolutely has to be Enver Gjokaj. Everyone else on this list will be somewhat negotiable, but he will not. He's a decent physical match, and more to the point, can shift from one persona to another completely, and in a matter of seconds.

Wax is a lot more trouble. There's a part of me that wants to hold onto the Firefly trend and go with Nathan Fillion, who could certainly handle the mix of humor and brooding, but Wax isn't a big, broad-shouldered guy like Mr. Fillion, so it doesn't quite work for me. That said, Wax is a fairly tall character who demands some serious stunts from his actor - I had a strong idea here, but as I continued casting, found I had set that person up for a different part, sending me back to the drawing board. Eventually, for someone who just a touch of age, always maintains that "walking wounded" quality, and can alternate between intense and funny, I lean towards Edward Norton.

Marasi is a bit of a puzzle. My instinct is to just say Ellen Page, since I cannot see her as Vin, but think Marasi is right up her alley. However, since I don't want to step into that argument, I must seek an alternative. Since I was quite impressed with Emilie de Ravin on LOST, and always felt bad that she had such a boring and pointless character, I think she's a solid pick. Some people might note that, at thirty, she's a little too old to really drive home the "she's too young for him" aspect of her relationship with Wax. These people have a valid points, and so might prefer Emma Watson.

Miles calls for an actor with some really good nuance, the ability to be bombastic without becoming comedic, and ideally one who seems heroic, to drive home the jarringness of Miles' warped loyalties. My first pick was Viggo Mortensen, my second was Brad Pitt. Both men, however, are in their fifties, and though they look great for their ages, they will still come across as older than Wax, which alters the dynamic a little to me. And do either of those men have the right facial features for Miles? it's not a deal-breaker, but if possible, it would be nice to get a "hawklike face with short black hair and prominent eyebrows." That sounds like Christian Bale, and he's both heroic and capable of playing up rage and vision, so I think it is he I shall endorse. (Note that, in a perfect world, his role in the movie would be heavily downplayed in promotional material, much like Charlize Theron in Hancock and Nicholas Cage in Kick-chull.)

Ranette has a short but absurdly awesome role. For such a one-scene wonder, you're probably best off imagining an personal favorite actress you wish to see more of - for my own part, I shall envision Uma Thurman.

Tarson is probably a part best suited to a stuntman - his dialogue is minimal, and I really cannot think of a young, muscular actor under 5'6''.

For Lord Edwarn, I'd like to avoid the cliches, but it's hard for me not to picture Malcolm McDowell.

Steris I don't really have an idea for - as always, finding a Hollywood actress for the "plain" role, especially one not intended to have a "oh, look, she really is beautiful" moment. Hilary Swank could probably handle the other aspects of the role well, but I'm not totally sold on it.

Having Michael Caine play Tillaume would be funny for subverting the audience's expectations, but I always pictured him as Sir Ian McKellen. In reality, getting either man to play such a bit villain might be tricky.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

Edited by Deus Ex Biotica

Still spoilers - Major spoilers, btw.

Steris I don't really have an idea for - as always, finding a Hollywood actress for the "plain" role, especially one not intended to have a "oh, look, she really is beautiful" moment. Hilary Swank could probably handle the other aspects of the role well, but I'm not totally sold on it.

If they can make Steris annoying enough (annoying isn't quite the right word, but you know what I mean), then I think we could have an attractive Steris. Also, a lot hinges on whether Wax ends up with Steris, or if Hollywood takes their typical choice and puts him with Marasi. Also, how much they play up that choice.

Having Michael Caine play Tillaume would be funny for subverting the audience's expectations, but I always pictured him as Sir Ian McKellen. In reality, getting either man to play such a bit villain might be tricky.

Tillaume might have a reasonably small part, but he has an awesome character. Also, if they give him some lines to play up his switch (cryptically, of course), then I could see a big actor being willing to take the role.

I still cannot find the spoiler text thing, so SPOILERS ARE IMMINENT, and also, read Alloy Of Law already - it's awesome.

I am proceeding on the assumption that an Alloy of Law movie would either (a) have Wax end up with Marasi, or (B) leave it ambiguous, gambling that there would be sequels in which he could end up with Marasi*. I don't think I would cast things differently if I thought otherwise, though - Marasi looks and acts like a classic ingenue, and Steris... doesn't. The ending subverts their roles, so even if it was going to ending like the book, you would a cute young actress playing up Marasi's tension with Wax for all its worth, and an older one acting cold as Steris (until after the climax).

Tillaume is a really juicy part in the books, but might need to be cut down in the quest for movie length. If all his scenes stayed intact, an aging big name actor might very much wish to steal the show as him.

Although, really, if one were going to cut any one character for length, t would have to be Ranette.I'm sure sequels will use her more, but in Alloy itself, the plot could logically unfold the exact same way without her (all you need is a room somewhere for the gang to hole up and plot their next move, and a new trick for Wax to beat Push with - or, heck, give Wayne some love and let him bring down Push). In terms of structure, I also think the movie would have to begin as the book originally did, with Wax bailing out of a party (literally), then running through the Mists in Luthadel after criminals (the credits would probably appear in the mists, too), and eventually having a breakdown when he thinks there's a hostage. The stuff with Bloody Tan is important, but a movie cannot really get away with two of the first three named characters it introduces dying for real in events apparently unrelated to the plot, all within the first five minutes (it's even worse if you include the stuff about that gang fighting Wax for more reasons still). Books have more liberty with that sort of thing. There would probably be a few flashbacks later on, though, to help explain Wax's fears throughout the story.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

* Yes, I realize that some people say this latter option is what happened in the book, too.

I still cannot find the spoiler text thing, so SPOILERS ARE IMMINENT, and also, read Alloy Of Law already - it's awesome.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

* Yes, I realize that some people say this latter option is what happened in the book, too.

[spoiler ]stuff

=

stuff

Edited by Sir Read-a-Lot

Thanks!

Also, my fellow Brandon Sanderson fans I know in real life are informing me that Viggo Mortensen is a much better fit for Wax than Ed Norton.

I think that Mr. Norton has more of the brooding, broken quality which Wax shows for much of the book, personally, but I would be remiss for not relaying their comments.

since when was Sazed supposed to be black, cuz tons of you guys are proposing black guys to play him? was he described that way in mistborn?

I can't recall any mention of his skin tone (although logically a group of people who lived near the north pole would be as light as light could be). Rashek almost certainly lightened everybody's skin tone in general to cope with the reduced sunlight. So it is unlikely that Sazed is black.

However, his notable physical traits are being tall and bald (well, completely shaven, technically) and he's supposed to be a separate race from the other characters, so it doesn't seem too suprising that actors fitting these three criteria would be chosen, even if the skin tone isn't quite logical.

I just realized we've been leaving out a critical character! Who's going to play Hoid?

Edited by Sir Read-a-Lot

since when was Sazed supposed to be black, cuz tons of you guys are proposing black guys to play him? was he described that way in mistborn?

I was just pulling from an artistic standpoint, specifically on the strong character attributes of the character. I figured casting someone with a darker pigment would help offset his appearance in a group of his peers. I could see a number of other actors in the role that aren't of African heritage, for example Jean Reno would be my #1 choice for the role, in the event that he declines the offer, we'd have to go for someone less desirable but equally impressive.

Sadly, the ethnicity which seems to make the most sense for Terrismen is Tibetan, but finding someone who looks even vaguely Tibetan and is tall enough to be a good Sazed without wasting a bunch of budget on Lord Of The Rings-style height effects.

Then again, finding any actors at all who naturally approach Sazed's written height would be quite the chore, so he'd probably need to be shortened a touch, anyway.

-- Deus Ex Biotica

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add/clarify with the Vin actress, it's someone that has agreed to play the part, so she's pretty much cast. It's now just a matter of getting more momentum in Hollywood.

Well, that´s not much but it´s already more than Wheel of time folk ever got - many of these guys and gals are still thirsty for ANYTHING concerning TEOTW movie.

I was just pulling from an artistic standpoint, specifically on the strong character attributes of the character. I figured casting someone with a darker pigment would help offset his appearance in a group of his peers. I could see a number of other actors in the role that aren't of African heritage, for example Jean Reno would be my #1 choice for the role, in the event that he declines the offer, we'd have to go for someone less desirable but equally impressive.

If Terrismen would be dark-skinned, we are asking for at least two problems concerning Lord Ruler.

Edited by HiccupGreyjoy

• 3 weeks later...

I scanned and didn't see it mentioned but I don't think anybody could convince me that Timothy Olyphant (most commonly known now for his current role in Justified) would not make a perfect Wax. Hell, he basically already plays that character on FX. It's pretty much the guy I used in my head while reading the book.

Edited by Exile