Mistborn Movie Casting

Chaos

On 10/1/2010 at 1:49 AM, Emeralis00 said:

David Tennant.

somehow. someperson.

YES PLEASE!!! Hoid. He's not what i picture for Hoid in terms of looks, but i think he would capture all of Hoid's personas beautifully. Also, who better for a funny, OOOLD, sarcastic time traveler to play then a funny, OOOLD, sarcastic time traveler. Did i mention can change his appearance? Has doodads from different planets? 

I personally... don't know.

I'm personally not looking foreword to a Mistborn film, considering how other books have been treated by the film executives lately, especially novels classified as "Young Adult" fiction, such as Mistborn (though I personally think it's more of an epic fantasy story than YA myself). A miniseries would be better. Just my opinion.

I think Mistborn would be a great movie option, though not the best of the Brandon Sanderson books options to start with. Personally I think Warbreaker would be the best to cut the teeth of the general populous. It's got some great undertones, and can introduce some important characters and themes into the world. Mistborn would be great eventually as well as Stormlight archives. Though I dread what would wind up on the cutting room floor.

On 10/22/2017 at 7:44 AM, Knghtstlker said:

I think Mistborn would be a great movie option, though not the best of the Brandon Sanderson books options to start with. Personally I think Warbreaker would be the best to cut the teeth of the general populous. It's got some great undertones, and can introduce some important characters and themes into the world. Mistborn would be great eventually as well as Stormlight archives. Though I dread what would wind up on the cutting room floor.

I too consider Warbreaker to be the easiest movie adaptation however I’m not sure the premise would capture enough of the general audience to really get them addicted to the cosmere. I propose a wax and Wayne era movie to start it out then a prequel mistborn. 

I'm only a few chapters into Era 2, though I'm halfway inclined to agree with you, but there are some terribly overlooming spoilers, and some pretty deep magical explenations to do. The only way I can see it working is if they either A, don't explain that the magic exists, only assume we know why until the explanation of the Shards of Adolnasium comes out on a larger scale. Or B, Preface it with Hoid the world hopper or Sazed, to either explain why the magic exist, and about investiture, shards, and other things. Either way they'll have to Marvel the hell out of it and sign a few very important characters to be the "Face" of the franchise. It would be upsetting to see a recurring character played by a different person in every movie. Hoid doesn't even have too much to say or do in any book series other than Stormlight Archives, Hoid is vital to the Cosmere. It would be nice if they Marvel'd the rust out of the Cosmere, but as long as it is done well. I hope they are able to envision the cosmere not just a one off movie with shady casting.

We as Brandon Sanderson Fans have to remember one thing above all else. MOVIES, Never do BOOKS Justice, Ever. We can only hope enough of the movie makes the cut to make sense, and that the movie does well so they make more Cosmere movies.

Ok ok.. fingers x'd they do a good job. Heres my wishlist:

Vin - Emma Watson 

Kelsier - Brad Pit 

Marsh - Tom Hardy

Breeze - James Spader

Ham - Manu Bennet

Clubs - Anthony Hopkins

Cant think of the rest.. But, id be happy if i got 1 right! Though even if im wrong im hoping they get it right and stay true to the books.

Theres always another secret..

!~ HIF ~!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cowmanthethird said:

Yeah, anyone who could do the disguises right would be good in my book.

Edit: I don't know about Christian Bale's voices though, if I hear a Batman, I'm done. :P

Tom Hardy has always been my top pick but he might be a bit old.

And yeah, Bales Batman voice is horrid.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:36 AM, Toaster Retribution said:

Tom Hardy has always been my top pick but he might be a bit old.

And yeah, Bales Batman voice is horrid.

It might be fun as Wayne's version of Ironeyes, though.  EDIT: Even funnier, bring back Marsh's actor for that scene, with the Bale Batman voice coming out of his mouth when he says his lines.  And switch back to Wayne's actor once the perspective changes back to Marasi.  

Edited by Landis963

18 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

It might be fun as Wayne's version of Ironeyes, though.  EDIT: Even funnier, bring back Marsh's actor for that scene, with the Bale Batman voice coming out of his mouth when he says his lines.  And switch back to Wayne's actor once the perspective changes back to Marasi.  

:lol: Good idea. Though the Batman voice isn't really scary, which is why I don't like it. But it could work.

On 19/10/2017 at 9:09 PM, The Allomantic Metalhead said:

I personally... don't know.

I'm personally not looking foreword to a Mistborn film, considering how other books have been treated by the film executives lately, especially novels classified as "Young Adult" fiction, such as Mistborn (though I personally think it's more of an epic fantasy story than YA myself). A miniseries would be better. Just my opinion.

Agreed, Mistborn is made for miniseries- 6 episodes or so per book I'd say. And Fantasy Mini-series are hot property right now.

As for the magic, use Khriss for that, like the compendia at the end of each book, maybe in an American Gods like section at the start of each episode?

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm... Evidently, I don't know many actors outside of the Firefly cast. S

Kelsier- I think Lee Pace could work fairly well here, actually. Alan Tudyk kinda fits the look as well.

Vin- Summer Glau and Ellen Page have both been suggested, but I think an unknown would be preferable. Actually, I think this for most of the characters, but it's fantasy casting so...

Hammond- Chiwetel Ejiofor or Adam Baldwin. For some reason, Chiwetel strikes me as very 'Hammond'. I blame his philosophizing whilst killing in Serenity

Breeze- Oddly enough, I think Sean Astin would be a good pick.

Spook- Finn Wolfhard, once he gets older. Or maybe Noah Schnapp. Hooray 'Stranger Things'!

Elend- Drawing a complete blank. Will update later hopefully.

The Lord Ruler- Sean Maher.

Hoid- Somebody mentioned Tennant and quite frankly nothing else works for me now. 

So, my current Mistborn Era 1 Cast looks like this (all ideas are not mine, some comes from this thread, and some from ImdB, and some are my own):

Vin - Willa Holland (Arrow)

Kelsier - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Game of Thrones)

Sazed - ??

Elend Venture - Liam Hemsworth (Hunger Games)

Marsh - Richard Dormer (Game of Thrones)

Spook - Asa Butterfield (Enders Game)

Breeze -Eddie Izzard (voices Reepiechiep in Narnia)

Ham - Sam Worthington

Dockson - ??

Clubs - David Bradley (GoT and Harry Potter)

Tindwyl - Viola Davies (Suicide Squad)

TenSoon - Andy Serkis (every blockbuster movie ever made)

Ruin - Billy Crudup (Alien: Covenant)

Straff Venture - Michael McElhatton (Game of Thrones, I know, there are too many of those here)

Zane - Ben Barnes (Narnia) or Richard Madden (GoT)

KanPaar - Kenneth Branagh (Murder on the Orient Express)

Hoid - Tom Hiddleston (Thor)

Edited by Ookla the Toasted

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:45 PM, IndigoAjah said:

Agreed, Mistborn is made for miniseries- 6 episodes or so per book I'd say. And Fantasy Mini-series are hot property right now.

As for the magic, use Khriss for that, like the compendia at the end of each book, maybe in an American Gods like section at the start of each episode?

I thought about this because of the SA movie deal thing, which worries my because the only way I see it working is as a TV show, too much content for movies. Additionally, to get the Cosmere to work they would need to make sure that people understand that all of the TV shows and movies are in the same universe, which could be difficult. The solution: Netflix or a similar service. That way, they could release them as different types of TV shows and movies while still keeping them in the same place, possibly even group them together on the site, and even release them in season (read "book") long chunks, to get the same kind of feel as the real series. It would also allow for better order and pacing, so that when Brandon releases Cosmere books of different series before finishing the series of the previously released book, as he does, the TV/movie version can release them in the same order and not be as confusing or annoying to people. Finally, it would also allow for the novella's to become movie/TV works, because if there is a "Cosmere" tab on Netflix, or something like that, there can be the equivalent of a "Short stories and novellas" section, whereas if the books are adapted into regular TV shows and movies, there really isn't room for most of that stuff, despite some of it being just as good if not better than some of his longer writings (Rankings of this are subjective, I think it is all great).

As a rule I generally want unknowns cast in all of the Cosmere adaptations (fingers crossed for Mistborn mini series with 6-7 episodes per book), and I really don't any of the hollywood super stars in there, but that being said, even I can't resist fancasting a couple of characters.

Kelsier - I know I said no big name actors, but I jokingly put Chris Pine for Kelsier a while back and now I can't really see anyone else. He just has the kind of natural charisma that works well with the character.

Vin - Isabelle Fuhrman, she's the right age, right height, and the right look. Someone also suggested Millie Bobby Brown in a couple of years and I can also see that.

Elend - The whole time I was reading the trilogy I pictured Elend as a cross between Toby Regbo and Charlie Cox, but really I haven't found an actor who matches Elend for me.

Spook - Thomas Brodie-Sangster

Dockson - Troy Baker

Marsh - David Anders. Personal choice, can't explain why. He just fits for me.

Tindwyl - Claudia Black

The Lord Ruler - Jonathan Rhys Meyer

Straff Venture - Alan van Sprang

Ruin - On a more meta note, I want Ruin/Ati to be played by whomever gets cast as Kvothe in the Kingkiller Chronicles adaptation. I feel like that would be a nice little nod to the connection between authors/fandoms. Of course this also means that someone from the Cosmere (maybe Hoid?) will have to have a small part in Kingkiller as well.

Steris - Meegan Warner, for no reason other than the fact that her character on TURN reminds me a lot of Steris.

2 hours ago, AllomancerSam said:

Ruin - On a more meta note, I want Ruin/Ati to be played by whomever gets cast as Kvothe in the Kingkiller Chronicles adaptation. I feel like that would be a nice little nod to the connection between authors/fandoms. Of course this also means that someone from the Cosmere (maybe Hoid?) will have to have a small part in Kingkiller as well.

That's funny, because I didn't realize until now that Tom Hiddleston was my pick for both Ruin and adult Kvothe back when I read each series the first time.

Tom Hiddleston for Ruin would be a bit odd, I think. I don't think he could make red hair work....

Someone suggested Willa Holland for Vin, which is a bizarrely perfect match.

But I was mostly thinking about Hoid, who is obviously the most prevalent character. Tom Hiddleston was suggested, and that might work... but I was thinking either David Tennant or John Simms, both of whom worked on Doctor Who. They can both do weird and crazy, but I'm favoring Tennant just because I have a hard time imagining Simms giving helpful speeches to anyone. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 10:23 AM, LewsTherinTalamon said:

Tom Hiddleston for Ruin would be a bit odd, I think. I don't think he could make red hair work....

Not as much of a problem as you think. Red haired Ati only shows up as a dead body for one scene in HoA, and only has the "Vax?" line in Secret History. Every other appearance of Ruin in Mistborn is either as Reen(who isn't a red-head, I think), Kelsier(I think Spook "saw" him at one point), or as a black mist with a voice(ascended Ruin/Vin scenes).

Ruin no longer looked like Reen. Instead, he manifested as a large patch of shifting black smoke. A thing without a body, but a consciousness greater than that of a simple human.

For the purpose of cinema, I imagine we would have an upper body within the smoke, kinda like how a genie coming out of a lamp would be portrayed, but with much more smoke surrounding them. As a consequence of the extra smoke, cinema team could make it look like naturally red hair that's tinged black, and, if necessary, spin it as the power affecting how they appear(meaning Vin would have a white tinge to her hair, so that the audience could make that connection). Do you think black tinged with red(or vice-versa, technically) would work on Hiddleston?