Mistborn Movie Casting

Chaos

Someone has probably said it before, but Morgan Freeman needs to play Sazed.... For obvious reasons.

And the Lord Ruler can only be Tom Hiddleston.

Just imagine- he is in no trailers, no hint given as to who the LR is or looks like. The carriage door opens, and out comes..... TOM HIDDLESTON. AND EVERYONE LOSES THEIR MINDS.

Edited by Blackhoof

Someone has probably said it before, but Morgan Freeman needs to play Sazed.... For obvious reasons.

I disagree with this sentiment. The Terris people must be unified as a race. If Sazed, the main Terrisman in the story, were cast as black, and the Lord Ruler were not, then the big reveal at the end would not ring true for most people, for obvious reasons.

If, on the other hand, every Terris person including the Lord Ruler were portrayed by African Americans, and everyone else were white, connecting the dots would be far too easy.

A movie adaption must be internally consistent, and for this to work, it must not only be believable that the Lord Ruler could be a part of the same race as Sazed, but it must also stand to reason that no one else would've figured it out in the past thousand years. If the Terris people had darker skin than anyone else in the Final Empire, and the Lord Ruler looked just like them, you'd think someone would've realized that fact before the book began. So unless you want to cast everyone black, Sazed cannot be portrayed by Morgan Freeman. [/rant] 

Edited by Lindel

I disagree with this sentiment. The Terris people must be unified as a race. If Sazed, the main Terrisman in the story, were cast as black, and the Lord Ruler were not, then the big reveal at the end would not ring true for most people, for obvious reasons.

If, on the other hand, every Terris person including the Lord Ruler were portrayed by African Americans, and everyone else were white, connecting the dots would be far too easy.

A movie adaption must be internally consistent, and for this to work, it must not only be believable that the Lord Ruler could be a part of the same race as Sazed, but it must also stand to reason that no one else would've figured it out in the past thousand years. If the Terris people had darker skin than anyone else in the Final Empire, and the Lord Ruler looked just like them, you'd think someone would've realized that fact before the book began. So unless you want to cast everyone black, Sazed cannot be portrayed by Morgan Freeman. [/rant]

False. There is such thing as Albinism in the human race, including with dark skinned people!

I myself have always pictured Sazed as being darker skinned, TLR being pale white, which is biologically possible.

False. There is such thing as Albinism in the human race, including with dark skinned people!

I myself have always pictured Sazed as being darker skinned, TLR being pale white, which is biologically possible.

I always imagined TLR being tan skinned, and Sazed having only a slightly darker skin.

EDIT: them again, in my mind Rashek, Susebron and Nohadon all look like a twenty years old Fire Lord Ozai :ph34r:

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

I always imagined TLR being tan skinned, and Sazed having only a slightly darker skin.

EDIT: them again, in my mind Rashek, Susebron and Nohadon all look like a twenty years old Fire Lord Ozai :ph34r:

Why do I get the feeling that Tarrlok makes a better Rashek? Looks wise.

It's water tribe tan, but not as dark as the southern type without being straight up pale either. He's got the expressions down too.

Just give him Ozai's superiority complex and arrogance and everything is covered.

Then we can cast the Earth King as Susebron or something. It'll be hilariously appropriate.

You could probably do the majority of the mistborn cast using Game of Thrones actors (looking at frequent previous suggestions).  

Let's see if I can do it:

Vin - Maise Williams (Arya) or Emilia Clarke (Daenerys)  

Kelsier- Nicholai Castor Waldau (who I see is mis-tagged as Bradley Cooper above).

Dockson - Aiden Gillen (Petyr Baelish) - Dockson is described as short, isn't he?  I think Jason Momoa would be way too tall.  

Ham - Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo)- He's about the right age and has the right physique?  

Breeze - Alexander Siddig (Doran Martell) - personally, I think I would prefer Aiden Gillen in this role, but he's kind of skinny for Breeze.  Not really happy with this choice, but running out of options.  

Clubs - Jonathan Pryce (High Sparrow)

Spook - Thomas Brodie Sangster (Jojen Reed)

Elend Finn Jones (Loras Tyrell) - He's got the curly brown hair down at least.  Perhaps too pretty for Elend, but romantic leads in movies are usually prettier than they should be.  

Sazed - Conleth Hill (Lord Varys) - He's a Eunuch in GoT, why not in MB?  

Marsh - Maybe Iain Glen (Jorah Mormont)?  Not totally happy with this one either, but we are running out of options.  

TLR - Kit Harington (Jon Snow) - I find this choice interesting, but TLR is supposed to look surprisingly young, early twenties-ish, and Kit Harington has that pretty boy thing which I think would work.  Also, TLR doesn't need much expression, so there's a win too, haha.

Shan Elariel - Natalie Dormer (Margery Tyrell)

Allrianne Cett - Rose Leslie (Ygritte) - when I've seen her in interviews, she's definitely got that bubbly energy.  

Zane - Richard Madden (Robb Stark) OR Iwan Rheon (Ramsay Snow)

Straff Venture - Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) certainly fits the bill persona-wise, though his colouring is wrong.  I suppose that's what hair dye and wigs are for :).  
Tindwyl - Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark)

Ashweather Cett - Jerom Flynn (Bronn) - This was a random selection, but on further thought I really like it as a choice :).

Yomen - Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth)?  I forget how old Yomen is supposed to be.  

The Citizen - Stephen Dillane (Stannis Baratheon).  

Belldre - Emilia Clarke (Daenerys) if she's not Vin, or Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) with dark hair dye/wig.  

I think the biggest lack is someone to play Breeze, who is one of my favourite characters.  If physiology didn't matter, Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) would do an excellent job.   

• 2 weeks later...

Charles Dance definitely for Straff Venture

I could see this, though I've always been partial to Jason Isaac for Staff. The man just looks so... evil.

On the subject of the Terris people's skin color and the Lord Ruler... Do you honestly think passing him off as an albino would make sense and feel like a satisfying revelation? I feel like it'd turn it into much less of a "Wow!" moment and more of a,"Wait, what?" moment. And would it even be worth such a convoluted just so you could cast an African American or some other dark skinned person as Sazed?

Besides, neither Sazed nor any other Terrismen were ever described as having dark skin. It's a fairly distinctive feature that would likely have been mentioned, just like they mentioned how unusual Adolin's black and blond hair or Shallan's red are compared to the standard Alethi black in WoK. The tall, lanky build, shaved head, elongated earlobes, and distinctive steward's robes are all noted as distinguishing Terris features, but never skin tone.

I'm not trying to tell you how to imagine characters in your head, I don't care, I'm just pointing out that the text supports the idea that Terrismen's skin is probably not drastically darker than the rest of the Final Empire.

EDIT: Clarified some ideas in the first paragraph.

Edited by Lindel

• 3 weeks later...

The Final Empire

Vin - I'm least sure about her, since I want someone age-appropriate (i.e. not Ellen Page) and not too typecasty (i.e. not Maisie Williams). So right now I'm leaning towards Anya Taylor-Joy or some completely unknown Daisy-Ridley-esque person out of nowhere.

Kelsier - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

Sazed - Hugh Dancy (I think I had him as Wax in another thread, but I realize I'd much prefer him in this role)

Dockson - Scoot McNairy

Breeze - James Nesbitt

Ham - Samuel Anderson (impressed me on Doctor Who)

Clubs - Peter Capaldi

Spook - Asa Butterfield

Straff Venture - Liam Neeson (Despite being menacing as hell, we don't get to see him play the villain a lot)

Elend Venture - Joe Dempsie (at the risk of turning this into another GOT themed list. Only a couple more, I promise.)

Marsh - David Tennant

"Renoux" - Stephen Fry

Shan Elariel - Gemma Arterton

Alendi (flashback) - Richard Armitage

The Lord Ruler - Tom Hardy

Hoid - Aiden Gillen

The Well of Ascension

Cett - Brendan Gleeson

Zane - Taron Egerton

Tensoon - Andy Serkis

Tindwyl - Jennifer Connelly

Allrianne - Sophie Cookson

Ruin - Patrick Stewart

The Hero of Ages

Yomen - Michael McElhatton

KanPaar - Mads Mikkelson

MeeLan - Rosabel Laurenti Sellers

The Citizen - Thomas M. Wright

Ruin - Patrick Stewart

Hmm... I could see it. He does have a great voice, although he may sound a bit too old to play Ruin. I always pictured him sounding younger than that, pretty sure it was based on descriptions of the voice in the text, but that doesn't necessarily rule him out. I could see Cumberbatch as Ruin, actually, cause he also has a really epic voice, in the most literal sense of the word.

Edited by Lindel

The Final Empire

Vin - I'm least sure about her, since I want someone age-appropriate (i.e. not Ellen Page) and not too typecasty (i.e. not Maisie Williams). So right now I'm leaning towards Anya Taylor-Joy or some completely unknown Daisy-Ridley-esque person out of nowhere.

Kelsier - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

Sazed - Hugh Dancy (I think I had him as Wax in another thread, but I realize I'd much prefer him in this role)

Dockson - Scoot McNairy

Breeze - James Nesbitt

Ham - Samuel Anderson (impressed me on Doctor Who)

Clubs - Peter Capaldi

Spook - Asa Butterfield

Straff Venture - Liam Neeson (Despite being menacing as hell, we don't get to see him play the villain a lot)

Elend Venture - Joe Dempsie (at the risk of turning this into another GOT themed list. Only a couple more, I promise.)

Marsh - David Tennant

"Renoux" - Stephen Fry

Shan Elariel - Gemma Arterton

Alendi (flashback) - Richard Armitage

The Lord Ruler - Tom Hardy

Hoid - Aiden Gillen

The Well of Ascension

Cett - Brendan Gleeson

Zane - Taron Egerton

Tensoon - Andy Serkis

Tindwyl - Jennifer Connelly

Allrianne - Sophie Cookson

Ruin - Patrick Stewart

The Hero of Ages

Yomen - Michael McElhatton

KanPaar - Mads Mikkelson

MeeLan - Rosabel Laurenti Sellers

The Citizen - Thomas M. Wright

This is actually a pretty good list. Only person I'd question is Capaldi as Clubs, I thought he was described more as stout in the books, not all spindly.